GWTW Forum
September 21, 2014, 07:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need to remove glued on parts  (Read 1874 times)
tommymcmillan
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: March 30, 2010, 08:48 PM »

How do I remove glued on parts w/o breaking/destroying them? Undecided
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 09:00 PM »

What kind of glue? For that matter, what parts? A few more details would help with diagnosis... Grin

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 09:17 PM »

the best way i've found to remove glued on C-Clips or what some people call do-hickeys is to take a flat blade screwdriver and light hammer, holding the blade of the screwdriver to the clip and lightly tapping and checking and tapping and checking until it eventually breaks the glue joint.

CA glue is famous for being weak against shock and this method takes advantage of the weakness.

Fdeli
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 09:19 PM »

the best way i've found to remove glued on C-Clips or what some people call do-hickeys is to take a flat blade screwdriver and light hammer, holding the blade of the screwdriver to the clip and lightly tapping and checking and tapping and checking until it eventually breaks the glue joint.

CA glue is famous for being weak against shock and this method takes advantage of the weakness.

How did you know? Huh very spooky... Shocked

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
fidelio

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 01:41 AM »

intuition  Wink

alternatively, there are CA debonders for sale though i have no personal experience with them to pass on.

Fdeli
tommymcmillan
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 05:21 AM »

I would like to remove ferrules,and nocks from p200 rods,and jaco sail grabbers from 3mm rods..
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 06:07 AM »

Submersing the ends of the rods in boiling water has been known to loosen ferrules and nocks.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 06:18 AM »

Try the boiling water approach first. That's the least risky. At least the CA I use doesn't weaken any when heated though. Some glues used do though.

For the ferrules in straight tubes, the best way is with shock as mentioned above. Put the end of the ferrule on a hard surface, put some padding on the other end of the spar, support it well, and give it a wack. Either the spar will shatter if the joint is really good or the ferrule will pop out.

For nocks that are glued, I recommend clamping the spar in a padded vice with a piece of solid .24 (like a ferrule) inside where it is clamped to prevent it from being crushed. Put a scrap of micro carbon rod or a screwdriver in the nock and twist. That should pop the joint and you can just slide it off.

The same approach can be used on standoffs but you will have to use pliers or something like that to get a hold of the sail grabber.

Basically, use shock when possible. Otherwise resort to torque. You won't get stuff glued on well off by pulling. Always pad stuff. You never want metal or other hard substances in direct contact and exerting force on spars.
fidelio

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 07:06 PM »

also when tapping on C-Clips tap on the side, not the back. so tap with the screwdriver in line with the spar, not perpendicular to it. forgot to mention this above.

good info denny and will, thanks.

Fdeli
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 07:31 PM »

just be careful when you put it over the boiling water that u dont get the spars over the flame
+1 for what has been said above

Sine Metu!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 09:31 PM »

I've knocked loose fittings on straight tubes by using a .2400 pultrude rod to repeatly bang on the ferrule/nock from the inside. .2400 sticks have enough mass for this, .2300 and smaller are less effective.

A properly glued internal ferrule is darn hard to dislodge. Blessing/curse that lots of commercial kites have poorly glued fittings.

Standoffs usually twist out of fittings if they were glued with CA. High end kites are often put together with better glue.

Fittings are cheap. Buy a range of spares for your kites. Re-used fittings are often OK, but sometimes weaker or looser.

Allen, AKA kitehead
stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 02:22 AM »

I've knocked loose fittings on straight tubes by using a .2400 pultrude rod to repeatly bang on the ferrule/nock from the inside. .2400 sticks have enough mass for this, .2300 and smaller are less effective.

A properly glued internal ferrule is darn hard to dislodge. Blessing/curse that lots of commercial kites have poorly glued fittings.

+1 on ferrules sometimes being difficult.  I keep a piece of 3/16 music wire from the hobby store for  this.  Careful heating of the glue with a propane torch will generate enough heat to loosen stubborn CA.  Once heated, the music wire will pop the ferrule out. Carbon will take quite a bit of heat but be careful as you can soften the tube with high heat.
Hal
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 05:57 PM »

Having glued my fingers together numerous times (don't ask) with CA glues, I can tell you that the debonders work.  May take several applications and patience to let it soak in.  Good luck.

Hal
Helena, MT
rickks
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 10:31 PM »

I have had good success with debonders but you have to take your time, esp. with nocks,and sometimes standoffs can be a real pain.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document