GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 08:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Learned how to fly a Rev today!  (Read 7929 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: April 03, 2010, 05:58 PM »

I went out for a few hours and learned how to fly a vented Rev today!  Smiley

Thanks for the tutorials John, I am sure I could not have done it without them.

I tried it once last year, but just didn't get it - I was trying everything from my dual line experience and gave up after some frustration.  Sadly, I did not know how to wrap the lines properly at that time. 

Consequently, I spent the first half hour today unravelling everything (I wish I had seen the first tutorial last year).

After all that, and 30 mins or so of experimentation, I really did end up having some fun.  I can hover, turn, spin, land, glide.   I recently injured my ankle, so I may end up getting some more time on these in the near term.

Thanks again for the tutorials and keep em coming!

6 kite tom
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 06:51 PM »

Careful...you might find it hard leaving the darkside... Cheesy

Everytime I walk by my Rev's I feel a strange sensation coming off of them...

"Do what you like"
Beachbum
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 08:27 PM »

That's cool man.  In the two years I was down in San Diego I picked up a Rev maybe two or three times during the club meetings.

Not to tangent your thread, but is it me or is it easier to learn on Race Rods?  I tried Ben's prototype "Raced" Rev and I was actually able to keep it in the air and "feel it out".
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 08:34 PM »

I can't say as I've never flown a Race Rodded Rev... but I basically taught myself how to fly with the help of the training DVD. It's a real blast when it starts to make sense and you can actually make it do what you were trying to make it do!

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
socalman320
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 09:48 PM »

Tpatter,

Good job!!

I'm in your neck of the woods so if ya ever want to fly let me know!!

Btw, be prepared......I started with one and have 4 now Cheesy Cheesy

socalman320

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 09:51 PM »

Just saw your kite bag......if those are all your Fearless kites......we need to talk. LOL Cheesy Tongue
tpatter

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 10:15 PM »

That's cool man.  In the two years I was down in San Diego I picked up a Rev maybe two or three times during the club meetings.

Not to tangent your thread, but is it me or is it easier to learn on Race Rods?  I tried Ben's prototype "Raced" Rev and I was actually able to keep it in the air and "feel it out".

Could be something to that -  although I've never tried those rods. 

I was flying the vent in winds from 15-20mph or so which I do think helped.  I had no issues with getting the kite to fly, but more of learning how to control where it went and how fast it went there, which was a good place to start.  Smiley   I can see how doing gentle glides across the window with the kite at various angles can be lots of fun.

6 kite tom
tpatter

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 10:18 PM »

Just saw your kite bag......if those are all your Fearless kites......we need to talk. LOL Cheesy Tongue

Errrrrr - ummmmmmm.......that is my set  minus the Tattoo - I like the vivid colors.  My sons are all black.  I don't think its due to the color - but his all fly better than mine!

Just don't talk about how much they cost if my wife happens to be present when/if we meet!  Smiley

6 kite tom
socalman320

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 10:35 PM »

Errrrrr - ummmmmmm.......that is my set  minus the Tattoo - I like the vivid colors.  My sons are all black.  I don't think its due to the color - but his all fly better than mine!

Notice the smiley face laughing....it was a joke.
socalman320

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 10:37 PM »

Just don't talk about how much they cost if my wife happens to be present when/if we meet!  Smiley

Sounds good to me "when and if" we meet of course. Was mainly offering to fly revs with ya since I know how and all.

Choice is yours.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 10:45 PM »

So Tom,
Does your vent have the SLE rod or 4 wraps?/or?

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
tpatter

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 10:49 PM »

Sounds good to me "when and if" we meet of course. Was mainly offering to fly revs with ya since I know how and all.

Choice is yours.

Love to fly together and I can surely use some pointers!  Smiley  Didn't mean to sound like I was copping any sort of attitude - life's too short for that bs.

I am often at kite hill most late afternoons on sat/sun if the weather permits.  In the summer, often for the last hour of daylight - the wind is so sweet at that time.

Where do you usually fly?

6 kite tom
tpatter

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 10:54 PM »

So Tom,
Does your vent have the SLE rod or 4 wraps?/or?

Jim

I am embarrassed to say that I have no idea what you are asking me!  Smiley  It has one solid rod (rather big) - perhaps Steve knows, I got it from him.

It's a sweet flyer, lots of control even in the bumpy stuff we had today.  At one point, Eli told me that I was looking pretty good, so I gotta take that to the bank! 

I'd like to get back out and try the B-series that I have in some lower winds.  Maybe tomorrow if I don't eat too much ham and take too long of a nap.  Smiley

6 kite tom
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 11:00 PM »

Sounds like the SLE rod S-U-P-e-r leading edge>>>>>>>>>.about the diameter of your pinky?

I tried out our vent last weekend with 2 wrap/3 wrap leading edges and it gave me a heap more control ..lot's more than I ever had before.......winds were 15-22 MPH.

Just thought I'd ask Undecided

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
tpatter

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 11:11 PM »

Sounds like the SLE rod S-U-P-e-r leading edge>>>>>>>>>.about the diameter of your pinky?

I tried out our vent last weekend with 2 wrap/3 wrap leading edges and it gave me a heap more control ..lot's more than I ever had before.......winds were 15-22 MPH.

That must be it.  So the 2/3 rods that come with the B-series can be put on the 1.5 SLE vent?  Makes sense to me now.  I had forgotten that you can use the 2, the 3, or the 2+3 wrap rods.

Next question (what a tangent at this point).  If you fly the B-series with the 2 wrap, is that near the same low end wind range of the 1.5 SUL?

6 kite tom
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change