GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 03:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Learned how to fly a Rev today!  (Read 8269 times)
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 11:39 PM »

Not an expert Tom, but from what I've heard there is a pro rod now, too. Someone with real Rev knowledge will have to inform us both on that score.................The answer to your question is .....yes,  Wink
I think Shocked

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
sunsetflyers
Trade Count: (+78)

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 06:31 AM »

yes and no on question the sul is made with a lighter material and the bridle is different the jb with 2 wrap is low wind your skill level has alot to do with it ive seen experianced vflyers fly with 4 wrap in 3 mile an hour wind

Steve & Sherri
Dano
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 10:14 AM »

Careful...you might find it hard leaving the darkside... Cheesy

Exactly what he said, Tom!
"Be VERY Careful"

I went to give my 5th rev (a Blast) its maiden flight yesterday, and i for the first time, left all my dual lines kites at home.  Huh Huh       Shocked

and yes, race rods rock. They are much ighter than the SLE and will help with precision in flying.

Just stay with the SLE for a bit more though as you are still getting the hang of it.
That SLE is a very durable rod for learning to fly. Enjoy!   
rxburner
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 11:39 AM »

Most people these days use the SLE rod to stake out their tomatoes or thrash loose dogs on the flying field.
The smaller diameter rods are the way to go. The Race Rod has pretty much replaced the 2 wrap and can be used in a little higher wind... going to the 3 then 4 as the wind picks up. There are a bunch of people experimenting with mixing the rods now,,,,, but I have not tried it.
socalman320
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 08:18 PM »

Sounds good to me "when and if" we meet of course. Was mainly offering to fly revs with ya since I know how and all.

Choice is yours.

Love to fly together and I can surely use some pointers!  Smiley  Didn't mean to sound like I was copping any sort of attitude - life's too short for that bs.

I am often at kite hill most late afternoons on sat/sun if the weather permits.  In the summer, often for the last hour of daylight - the wind is so sweet at that time.

Where do you usually fly?

No worries!! You're right, life is too short. Which is why I fly Cheesy

I usually go to kite hill, Marymoor Park(Redmond) and 60 acre park(Kirkland/Redmond) and have even hit a spot off I-90 towards North Bend.
socalman320

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 08:22 PM »

Most people these days use the SLE rod to stake out their tomatoes or thrash loose dogs on the flying field.
The smaller diameter rods are the way to go. The Race Rod has pretty much replaced the 2 wrap and can be used in a little higher wind... going to the 3 then 4 as the wind picks up. There are a bunch of people experimenting with mixing the rods now,,,,, but I have not tried it.

Well, if someone happens to have an end piece to the trio of SLE rods I need one Wink
socalman320

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 08:26 PM »

Race rods are stronger and pretty light as well as flexible BUT if you're still in the learning stage ya might want to stick with the SLE for now. As soon as you're done playing lawn dart with it......you're gonna love having a set. Really makes the kite flex more and the sail seems to absorb more wind making for a sweet fly.

Just got back from Whidbey took 5 kites with me and the wind was waaaay to high for flying the ones I had with me today. There was a guy flying a Quantum that had that thing screeeeeaaaaamin' through the air. No way I was gonna try it Shocked
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:35 PM by socalman320 » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 09:55 PM »

Thanks for the advice on the SLE - I did notice that it does not bend much even when the wind picked up, but probably the right rod for starting out.  The first 10 mins or so I was hitting the ground pretty good with it until I figured out how to control the kite.

I won't bother upgrading until I get quite a few more hours on the lines.

I'm still loving dual line way too much to get too serious with my quads, but its fun for a change of pace.

6 kite tom
socalman320

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 10:19 PM »

I'll assume you got set up with longer brake lines already? If not, I can show you. It was a tremendous help to me.
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2010, 03:19 AM »

adjust your tuning on the handles by placing the kite inverted on the ground.  Keep adding "Down" (shorting the break lines) until the kite will back-up inverted.  That is how much down you need, the amount varies by the conditions that day.

Practice holding the kite inverted until you get confident.  Fly it up to waist high, hold it there and then GENTLY lower it back to ground.  Both handles should be close together and your thumbs pushed forward towards the kite.

When you can do this half a dozen times in control, then double the height and do it again.  Eventually it should back up to the top of the window like it was on railroad tracks, perfectly smooth and at one uniform speed.  This will take many hours to perfect the technique.  Backing-up & hovering is why REVs are so much fun, in a single word "control"!  Imagine landing your kite into the hole on top a Coke can, balanced on top a fence post or into the outstretched hand of a small child inside a stoller!
-paul
(AKA revflyer)
Charly
Trade Count: (+23)

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2010, 11:50 PM »

Welcome to the Dark Side.  We have cookies... Cheesy

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
socalman320

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2010, 04:32 PM »

Muuuhahahahahahaaaaaaa Tongue
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2010, 05:38 PM »

nder John ruggerios tutelage I just learned how to Axel a rev. the first time I had a rev in my hands in over a year.....have to try on a deca now....I have seen Curtiss Mitchell do that in the past....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2010, 07:04 PM »

The SLE is my still my favorite when there is enough wind and I want snappy response. I learned quads on a Rev II, so I'm used to the extra twitchiness in it and the 1.5 SLE.

Precision or team flying isn't my thing most of the time, so the flex and dampening of control inputs isn't as critical. It must be admitted that the 2/3 wrap flex does make inverted rotation moves easier.

Rev II, vented Rev 1.5, and vented Rev II are my favorites, so the need for speed is more important than contol. Those winds also tend to clear the flying field of people and dogs, so a lot more wide-open space for unencumbered flying.  Cool  Tongue
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 07:06 PM by lylenc » Logged

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2010, 08:14 PM »

I'll assume you got set up with longer brake lines already? If not, I can show you. It was a tremendous help to me.

I just hook things up and move the knots until it feels ok, but I'm doing this all on my own.  Send me a PM next time you are headed for kite hill and I'll see if I can make it.

It would be great to fly with someone - I rarely see revs out there.

6 kite tom
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum