GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 11:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Quantum spectra lines broke yesterday...BOTH!!!  (Read 1539 times)
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: April 04, 2010, 07:14 AM »

So....I was reading on this forum that people have never broken lines in the sky.  Only going over sharp objects, catching dogs or stepping on the lines.

I bring out the Quantum yesterday in the VERY high winds.  I make all the bridle adjustments so I can fly in high winds.

I fly for about 10 minutes when all of a sudden BOTH lines break.  I am standing there with the straps watching the lines slowly fall to the ground.

The kite did a few slow flips and landed 1/4m away.

When I get to the kite I see both lines broke RIGHT at the sleeving.  BOTH at the same time.  It is like pulling apart a french fry with two hands, getting a piece in both hands and the middle section falling straight.  Impossible!

When I strung the lines across the field to find the true length, they are within 1" of each other.

These are the OEM 85ft by 150# lines.

Of course the 4D stayed in the bag and was not used...DRAT!

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 07:22 AM »

That sounds like you just hit close to 150 pounds of pull. When you tie a knot, in any line, rope, etc., you weaken it to a certain degree, exactly how much is actually determined by the knot itself.
when the lines broke, had you just had the sail slack and then power up, like coming out of a yo-yo or lazy S? or was it more like just hitting the center of the window?

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
melnsct
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 07:45 AM »

yep......that's where they almost always break.

Melanie in Tennessee
johnfarl
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 09:13 AM »

So....I was reading on this forum that people have never broken lines in the sky.  Only going over sharp objects, catching dogs or stepping on the lines.

I bring out the Quantum yesterday in the VERY high winds.  I make all the bridle adjustments so I can fly in high winds.

I fly for about 10 minutes when all of a sudden BOTH lines break.  I am standing there with the straps watching the lines slowly fall to the ground.

The winds were gusting to 40 mph yesterday.  That is a lot probably beyond spec for the Quantum.  Breaking lines while flying does happen.  In fact I remember Watty breaking his lines on a Quantum when he was competing at WSIKF.  The Quantum has a lot of pull.  I usually avoid flying around here when we get winds in the high twenties because it usually means that you are gusting to the 40's or 50's.  That is not comfortable.  Also usually what happens is change of direction.  I have broken a few kites where one of those ground twisters moves across the kite.

You should be able to get a new bridle from Prism and get back in business.

For sure keep your new 4D in bag on days like yesterday.
John
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 10:03 AM »

I remember those days for me.  Smiley
I will speculate that kite was dragging you down the field a bit too wasn't it, before the line broke?   Grin
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 10:08 AM »

I fly for about 10 minutes when all of a sudden .... both lines broke RIGHT at the sleeving.

You should be able to get a new bridle from Prism and get back in business.

I don't think he broke the bridle, just the flying lines...

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Gardner

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 11:28 AM »

It's more disagreeable to break only one flying line or the out haul on a bridle like I did on a Mamba one day.  You let the kite pinwheel and walk forward until the kite gently hits the ground.  Hopefully the damages will be minimal.

Gardner
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 04:20 PM »

Pinwheel Huh

Don't you mean a powered up SPIN OF DEATH in those kinds of wind?

Best to let go of the one good line and pray Cry

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 04:23 PM »

since your lines are still pretty much full length, it sounds like time for a sleeving kit so instead of buying new lines you can just resleeve what you've got. a sleeving kit will include a sleeving tool, some sleeving, and some instructions. if at all possible i'd suggest buying the shanti kit over the new tech kit. the sleever in the new tech kit is ok, but the sleeving is junk. the prism field repair kit also has sleeving stuff in it but i've not seen it so no comment there.

sleeving lines can be a somewhat tedious process but a great skill and great tool to have in your bag.

Fdeli
jeepersjoey

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 06:56 PM »

Hey..thanks all.

I think John is right (hi John!) that it was the gusting that caused the break...it was doing fine just going back and forth and then SNAP!  I was not doing any tricks.

It broke at the top of the wind window.

I was able to re-sleeve the line while I was sitting in the field.

All is good now!  Had a great day today with the Hypnotist...I even had ribbons on the tips to impressed the fans.

Had a fan this morning and put a kite in the air for him.  When he had to go I said "go ahead and keep that kite...but you have to fly it very soon!"  Yippie!

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document