GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 05:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fearless Vented Light and Vented STD...more info. please.  (Read 1949 times)
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: March 28, 2010, 05:25 PM »

Not much info. on Lam's site...only the price of the kite and some fotos.
What are their wind range ?
What are their weight in grams ?

Fearless Vented Light...3PT LE and 3PT LS
Fearless Vented STD ....5PT LE and 5PT LS
They both have 4 openings as vents.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Any actual owners here can share their experiences on the Fearless VL & VS ?
How does it compare to the Fearless STD in the tricks department ?
Do they have similar feel ?
Do I need to learn the tricks all over again if flying the Vented version ?

I have a Fearless STD now. Which version should I get ?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 05:28 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 10:19 PM »

You can certainly get by with only the SUL and one of the vents and/or the standard.  SUL goes from 1 to 8 and either vent will readily fly from 4 on up, so that covers a pretty good range. 

Given that you already have the standard, I would go for the SUL next. Those 2  cover a wide range of wind.  Add a vent later and you can fly more easily into the 20s if you need that (and perhaps even sell your standard).

Wind range wise, there is alot of overlap with the vented light, standard vent, and standard, but the vented light is my favorite of those 3 - its an amazing trick machine.  They all fly pretty low, with the major differences on the very lower and upper ends (the standard vent will obviously go higher with the heavier frame but losing probably 1-1.5 on the lower end).

In any case, they all fly with the same feel and capabilities, pitch-based tricks just get easier as you move up in mass from the SUL and the vents seem to be even a bit more turtle happy than their non-vented siblings.  Its a great feature of the Fearless, you only have to learn how to fly one kite, not 3 or 4 based on the current winds. 

Also, yes, the vented light and standard have the same sail, differing in framing, bridle,  and perhaps tail weight.  I have not checked my FVL, but I am sure that the it comes standard with 5pt lower spreaders (like the non-vented light), although 3pt would also work just fine.

6 kite tom
anOldMan
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 11:42 PM »

Not much info. on Lam's site...only the price of the kite and some fotos.
What are their wind range ?

From Lam himself... Wink

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=2736.msg24442#msg24442

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
steve.hobart

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 01:55 AM »

I now only have two dual lines in my A bag, the Fearless SUL and Vented Standard (I got that before Lam was selling the vented light).

I only need the two kites, the SUL and Standard Vented cover all my wind range, As Tom said, the kites fly very similarly (apart from the reduced mass of the sul).  I figure get the SUL and either Vented Light or vented Standard - you'll can easily get away with two and you'll be very happy.

cheers

steve
cids

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 05:53 AM »

In any case, they all fly with the same feel and capabilities, pitch-based tricks just get easier as you move up in mass from the SUL and the vents seem to be even a bit more turtle happy than their non-vented siblings.

The pitch-based tricks that you are refering are yoyo or wap do wap(the first part of the trick). Right.

Great info. and thanks to all replying.

Skywatch 1 wind meter
tpatter

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 10:58 AM »

In any case, they all fly with the same feel and capabilities, pitch-based tricks just get easier as you move up in mass from the SUL and the vents seem to be even a bit more turtle happy than their non-vented siblings.

The pitch-based tricks that you are refering are yoyo or wap do wap(the first part of the trick). Right.

Great info. and thanks to all replying.

Yeah, thats what I meant - wrapped tricks.

I actually like my standard with a bit more weight on it than mine came with.  I always preferred the way that the Light rolled up (faster and tighter), so I tried adding about 7g to the tail of my standard - which now rolls up just the same.  You might try it, see if you like it better that way.

-Tom

6 kite tom
cids

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 05:21 PM »

I used to have 10g. in the tail, then I reduced it to 5g. and a week or so ago I reduced it to 2.5g. Now I'm really happy with it.
I also installed yoyo rollbars in my Fearless STD and alot of repairs in the kite. The extra Darcon adhesive/Mylar tape will affect the final tail weight count. Hence the difference between yours and mine.

My Fearless STD roll-up very nice even in 6 - 8 Km. wind.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 08:19 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
cids

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 07:41 AM »

Fearless Vented Light...3PT LE and 3PT LS
Fearless Vented STD ....5PT LE and 5PT LS
They both have 4 openings as vents.

If the above are true, then FVL is a Fearless Light with 4 vents and FVS is a Fearless Standard with 4 vents. I think this is an innovative design.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 07:49 AM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 08:02 AM »

After a short conversation with Lam at a recent festival he was telling me about his next potential design that he's currently figuring his head around - a Fearless Vented SUL. That will definitely be interesting Smiley

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 02:13 PM »

Lam once made the VIP. vented indoor performer..

How was Vung Tao?

"Do what you like"
Fearless Object
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 12:25 AM »

Hello Tom, Vung Tau was beautiful and meet everyone there and had a great time. we have so much wind everyday and sun shine. So I was flew my Fearless Vented Light in 30+ mph. Proven the kite is fine in those wind condition. other then that just hang out and drinking and party every night. Talk to you soon Tom.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum