GWTW Forum
August 01, 2014, 07:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommendations on a "windsock" that I can (easily) put up when flying?  (Read 1489 times)
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: April 04, 2010, 07:12 PM »

I usually fly where I can see a few flags but I would like to put up something like a pole with a flag or ribbon on it so I can get a better feel for the direction and intensity of the wind.

What do ya'll recommend?  It really needs to be compact, easily/quick to put together and functional.

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 09:00 PM »

Get yourself a kite stake and a short chunk of plastic tail material....tie an overhand knot in the middle and stick the stake through the hole.........can't miss Wink

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
flyfishbeck
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 09:40 PM »

How about a dowel rod sharpened on one end with flagging or yarn on the other?
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 10:08 PM »

The back of your neck and ears are more sensitive to wind than any flag or windsock.

Just standing still you should be able to tell where the wind is coming from (more in one ear than the other?, you're not facing middle window) and with experience, tell how strong the wind is (in kite selection terms, if not MPH)

Probably the big advantage of flags & banners is if they are tall. Wind 12' up is often quite different than at ear level.

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 05:02 AM »

banners or windmills work best because they are not located at ground level.....

Steve had a Phenomenal deal on some 6' Prism Windmills....old stock rediscovered at Prism's warehouse....
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=1624.0

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
rxburner
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 11:16 AM »

I like the Hypnotwister on a 10 ft. pole....

http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=146

Rx
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 11:16 PM »

I have found over the years that ribbons, tubes and windsocks, while they look pretty, lack a basic quality. Anything you have to look at will by design need to be in front of you, meaning it can easily also be in your way. While I'd encourage Allen's  "learn how the wind feels" skill, because it'll always be with you everywhere you go, it does take a while to get it down. So, what I like is banners. The best seem to be out of light to medium weight ripstop, because you want them to make a bit of noise, and you want that noise to increase with wind speed. The Prism banners are o.k., but because they have a curved leading edge they tend to run silent. Keep your eye out on the forum, because some of the best are made by individuals, and aren't retail. Banner cloth is what you'll often find, and while it's lots more durable, it is also too quiet for me.

I've also staked out a small to medium sized kite behind me on more than one occasion. Then, you'll have your SLK up high over your head, and you can fly underneath it. Of course, now you have to learn wind speed estimation for two kinds of kites.

Lee
tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 11:43 PM »

I'll put my Skate up and if it stays up unattended I know there's enough wind to fly my rev b w/race rods or QP sul, if  not, I just glide the Skate around.
fidelio

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 03:03 AM »

i use a $1.98 driveway marker from lowes which is about 3' tall and mounted on it is about a 4' length of 1" slit nylon attached with a string which is just held under the vinyl endcap at the top, though you could use any sort of lightweight ribbon.

i won't go into the merits of when or why but this is what's in my bag and it responds to winds which are sometimes too light to feel. among my fellow fliers at our field it seems a popular item, as much as a ribbon on a stick could be.

there's also a person who irregularly flies a spinsock on a 16' pole but it takes a good 4 mph before it moves. with a wind that substantial, i'm already in the air and not paying any attention to an indicator, it's flying time.

Fdeli
jeepersjoey

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 06:10 PM »

Thanks Thief!

I bought one of them thar windmills.

It may not be portable so I may be looking for a ribbon thing still.

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
UPNET

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 06:37 PM »

We put up our Aerobe.. (Walla)...because the wind is pretty shifty. Sometimes we put a flourescent orange tape at the 4 ft level on a stick. Using your ears is also highly recommended.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
jeepersjoey

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 07:02 PM »

I got an excuse for everything!!!!

I am bald so I cannot feel the wind in my hair.

I am deaf so I cannot hear the wind.

Last yr I did Lasics so I can see a ribbon!  hehe

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 08:43 PM »

We just get one of the guys to stick a kite in field lights  Cheesy

Couple shots of those newly installed windsocks at out local field.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 08:54 PM »

Sadly, I've done that, too...
Didn't realize how close I had gotten to the poles with my Chevron way back when I first got it. It is also the cause of the only damage on mine other than normal "wear and tear"...

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document