GWTW Forum
September 16, 2014, 06:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4D flight reports  (Read 3293 times)
DaveH
Trade Count: (0)
« on: April 05, 2010, 06:07 AM »

Just wondering, how is everyone liking the 4D? 
I got mine out for a few minutes just before dark. I found it fades nicely and is easy to backspin.  I really like it.  So what do you think?
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 06:09 AM »

We aren't able to keep the LE tensioning system from disappearing in the grass Cheesy Cheesy

Just kidding........Haven't flown ours yet................maybe Thursday Sad

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
anOldMan

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 07:16 AM »

Have not flown mine yet but I think there will be no tip stab tricks and I hope the two point landings will leave the kite tensioned!  Wink Wink

It seems that the kite is to be flown and not landed.  Huh

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
Burke
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 09:07 AM »

I flew mine Friday for almost five minutes before losing the tip somewhere in the grass of my front lawn.   Cry

Hopefully, I will get it fixed soon and really have a chance to fly it.

I am thinking of putting a small o-ring around each tip knot to help keep it tied.

Good Winds and God's Blessings,
Burke
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 09:19 AM »

Sure am glad you guys had the Weekend off to go and lose all these nocks before I did.  Cheesy

Think I'll just dig around in the parts bins for some small nocks, and use an end cap to tension the kite.

Thanks for the heads up!

Roll Eyes
Burke
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 01:24 PM »

It's a neat little fitting if you can keep from losing it.

Good Winds and God's Blessings,
Burke
DaveH
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 03:08 PM »

I think an  O ring would be a nice fix for the fittings, or a small rubber band.  Any number of things will do the trick.  Mine aren't going anywhere.  I wouldn't recommend flying it much until you figure something out.  The material the tensioning chord is made of just doesn't want to hold a knot.
  Once again its blowing over 10 today Sad The weekend looks good, however. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 03:12 PM by DaveH » Logged
DaveH
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 04:00 PM »

I just took the finger straps off the 50' lineset and put them on the 20' I got from Steve.  'Love the way it handles on those lines Smiley
I put the 50' in my spare line box and put the 20' lines on an LPG winder with shock chord to secure the lines instead of that sharp slit.  The newly appointed lineset sits happily in the case between the two line holders.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 04:04 PM by DaveH » Logged
AhMayzon

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 06:08 PM »

I like this kite quite a bit.  It's got a lot of drive in very little wind, and more presence on the lines than the 3D.  It feels "bigger". 
Tricks are very nice and graceful.  Beautiful fades, flat spins, pretty flat backspins.  JL is possible but the timing is very particular; need to play with that one a bit more.
Haven't lost the nocks so far! Though I  admit I've thought about of the possibility of them escaping several times, and tied the tips as tight as I possibly could.  Wink Smiley
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 07:37 PM »

I just took the finger straps off the 50' lineset and put them on the 20' I got from Steve.  'Love the way it handles on those lines Smiley
I put the 50' in my spare line box and put the 20' lines on an LPG winder with shock chord to secure the lines instead of that sharp slit.  The newly appointed lineset sits happily in the case between the two line holders.
I was leery of that slit in the holder as well. I just wrap around the winder and let the case flaps hold the ends instead of the slits, but the bungeed holder would do the same thing...
If it gets sloppy I have a ton of velcro I could use on the little winder...

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
DaveH
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 02:03 PM »

I just took the 4D out for a short flying session in my yard.  I was using that brown lineset that came with the first 3Ds. I think its around 12 feet. Anyway, it seemed apporpriate..  I did a super slow axel over my bird feeder and put the kite into a nice fade under the branches of my apple tree.  This kite is a blast!  Cool
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 03:48 PM »

I was leery of that slit in the holder as well. I just wrap around the winder and let the case flaps hold the ends instead of the slits, but the bungeed holder would do the same thing...
If it gets sloppy I have a ton of velcro I could use on the little winder...

I don't know if Steve still carries it (although I expect he could order it).  I am a big fan of the Innova Mini Winders (1 1/2" x 4 1/2") for short linesets.  You had to add your own bungee, but that wasn't a deal breaker as there were already feed holes for it.  They're like standard HQ winders in a wee tiny version.  Wink

ATB,
Sam
Raptor

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 03:55 PM »

Flying in some light winds

Flying (not really) in my bedroom!

Such a fun kite!
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 05:00 PM »

I finally got out and put about 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour on the 4D.  I like it a lot and it will definitely take some wind gusts.....I was flying mainly in 7-18 mph hour..........I would have preferred a little 2-4 actually Embarrassed

The only thing I noticed in the gusts were that the inputs needed to prevent the 'lawn lawn dart' would separate the lower spreaders from the C/T.  I put it away before a catastrophe ocurred. I can't wait for some smooth low breezes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
DaveH
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 08:06 PM »

Yeah, it gets moving kinda quick, especially on the 20 ft lines  Huh
But you're right, the kite easily handles those strong gusts.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document