GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 05:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: something wrong with the forum  (Read 7536 times)
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2010, 04:17 PM »

When the LG GW990 is released this summer, the iphone and the maxipad are going to seem almost obsolete.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2010, 04:31 PM »

When the HAL 9000 is released this summer, the iphone and the maxipad are going to seem almost obsolete.

Denny

fixed

Fdeli
GEB
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2010, 04:37 PM »

I heard a rumor Dell is coming out with one that will allow you to fly a kite remotely without lines. You just think of a trick and the kite does it. It cant make your kite do two tricks at a time though, so Im holding out for one that will.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2010, 04:44 PM »

no, that'd be premier.

Fdeli
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2010, 04:53 PM »

When the LG GW990 is released this summer, the iphone and the maxipad are going to seem almost obsolete.

But I don't see that the LG is going to pop-up advertisements, might as well run Windows. I can't believe how many years, time & money I've wasted with pop-up blockers and ad-ware & spy-ware cleaners when all this time those annoyances should have been considered features & bundled with the operating system. I can't believe I was so Nave  Cheesy

« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 04:58 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2010, 06:23 PM »

You know, dual lines used to come without standoffs!  Smiley

A full-touch interface is progress, no matter how you look at it.

6 kite tom
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2010, 07:38 PM »

No standoffs?!? Shoot, back in my day, stunt kites only had one line, and we flew in NO wind, and we liked it! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2010, 11:31 PM »

Yeah...............I remember having to walk the walk (shame, I'm sayin') uphill in both directions....... in two feet of snow barefoot!      Lips sealed Cry

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
John Welden

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2010, 07:56 AM »

Combine this little gem, soon to be foisted upon everyone with an iWhatever, with Apple's simply delightful patented advertising strategy that forces you to interact with the adverts (I can think of an emotion to go with that).

I realise that the AppleAddicts willingly forego some any control over what they do but this is bordering on self harm.

You enjoy yourselves. Lips sealed I'm sure that you will.

Mike.

Why will people be forced to click on the adds to open them? I don't see how it's any different than the adds on this forum.  If you want to click on them you can. If anything the user has more control. Clicking on the add won't take them out of the app and into the web browser.  The add that does pop up can be closed any any time.

The 60 40 split is industry standard. Nothing new.

Developers don't have to use Apples ad service, they're still free to do their own thing.

With this new ad technology I could see myself MAYBE clicking on an ad.

I don't see how this is the end of the world.

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2010, 08:47 AM »

Maybe the fact the touchh interface is in such a small package but not that new imho, we have had touch interface on poker machines, nintendo ds, atms etc for many years

Sine Metu!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2010, 08:50 AM »

I suppose it will depend on if App ads are closer to the Google or the Webshots end of the spectrum. Either way, it's voluntary.

Allen, AKA kitehead
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2010, 09:25 AM »

I get ticked off at Microsoft because once every two months they redirect your browsers home page to the Internet Explorer homepage in order to expose you to 3rd party apps.

I go into a rage when somebody installs a game, java, flash or anything else that hyjacks any part of your browser or installs any spyware like Google Toolbar etc.

IMO if you're making money off of me, even if the data is not personal, then you better be giving me a kickback.  

It remains to be seen if the apps this is supposedly keeping free are so useful and valuable that giving up all control over your communication devices and every shred of privacy you may imagine you still retain is worth it.

Allowing anybody with a few bucks access to the GPS info on a device uniquely identified as mine that I carry daily is so far beyond my comfort level that .... really ... how can ....  Lips sealed

Somehow this vid seems appropriate

Step Right Up - Tom Waits Tribute.mov

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
John Welden

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2010, 10:23 AM »

Allowing anybody with a few bucks access to the GPS info on a device uniquely identified as mine that I carry daily is so far beyond my comfort level that .... really ... how can ....

The iphone will notify you any time an app wants to use your location and ask if you want to allow it.

In OS4 you'll be able to set permissions for any app that uses location. (in settings)

There will also be an icon next to the battery icon that shows up whenever location is being used.

Can someone get around this and track you? Don't know, but I doubt it will be easy. I think apple understands how paranoid people are. I'm willing to take the risk so I can use this technology. If you're not, don't use it.

xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2010, 11:32 AM »

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they are NOT watching you!

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2010, 12:00 PM »

Windows 95 on iPad

So it does have a use.  Cheesy

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change