GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 12:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010 E3  (Read 2175 times)
DaveH
Trade Count: (0)
« on: April 05, 2010, 08:58 AM »

I've had the original E3 since it came out and have lots of time on it.  Since Prism has updated the kite I thought I'd pick one up as a spare.  Last night I put a couple of hours on the new one and thought folks might appreciate a flight report and some photos of the changes.  Mike, if this belongs in the review section accept my appologies...

The kite is more responsive and better balanced.  Rollups are smoother and not as floppy, kind of in the direction of the Exile, but without as much loop, if that makes any sense.   I found it much easier to make them controlled and pretty. I tried adding additional weight beyond the included sliding weight and it made the rollups tighter and quicker with the same input, but I feel the stock weight and rollup traits are fine.   It still has kind of a plodding spin rate and radius compared to other kites in this price range, like the Widow.   However, the additional response for me made moves like the backspin much easier than on the original.  I don't think folks are going to complain about the stock bridle on this version.  In the air the 2010 version just feels like a better kite. 

I'll try posting some pictures. Hopefully this will work......

First the LS.  New one is on the top.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:15 AM by DaveH » Logged
DaveH
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 09:00 AM »

here are pics of the old and new sail.  Citrus is the old version, graphite the new.  You can see the smaller weave in the original.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:10 AM by DaveH » Logged
DaveH
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 09:01 AM »

The new Icarex version

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:10 AM by DaveH » Logged
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 09:59 AM »

if this belongs in the review section accept my appologies...
It's fine here. Many thanks.

Can you play spot the difference between the old and new kites ? Besides the upgraded sail material are there any actual physical changes ŕ la the development of the Illusion ? I recall that the E3's bridle came in for some early tweakage....

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
DaveH
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 11:21 AM »

nothing I'm aware of other than the Lower spreaders being changed to P2X
ghfisanotti

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 06:34 PM »

Thanks for the info and the pics! would like to see a video of the new E3 in action, are you planning to contribute some of that?
As an original 2009 E3 owner I'm quite interested in obtaining one of these and appreciate your opinion a lot.
Best regards from Buenos Aires,

Gerardo.
socalman320
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 09:07 AM »

There's a first and second generation E3 or are we talkin' E2 VS E3???
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 10:56 AM »

E3 '09 versus E3 '10.

As far as I can make out, basically the same kite but sail material changed to real Icarex™ in place of I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Icarex and a change to SkyShark P2X lower spreaders from P200 (although Prism's site refers to a P100/P2X mix from all P200 before).

Some people are discerning some differences in flight characteristics.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
socalman320

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 11:12 AM »

Thanks for the clarification on that.

I'm guessing the Icarex makes for a better kite?
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 06:48 PM »

Thanks for the clarification on that.

I'm guessing the Icarex makes for a better kite?
Icarex=lighter weight material, less fading in UV, less stretch...umm, did I miss anything?

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
socalman320

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 06:51 PM »

Nice! Good to know.

Will look for that on my next purchase. Glad I'm here!! Smiley

Thanks

DaveH
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 06:33 AM »

The original E3 was great at rollups but for me kind of dissapointing in flat spin performance.  I found the correct input required to get a consistent backspin very critical and as a key element in many combos that was for me a deal breaker.  I shortened the outhauls a bit and my kite became much more forgiving.  Backspins and Waps were now easy.   I know many others modified their bridles in different ways and most seemed happy with the results. 

Since then I spent a good bit of time flying my modified E3 as well as some time on a friends stock E3.  I still find mine is easier to backspin but his is fine, just different.  I purchased the 2010 version as a spare and was pleasantly suprised to find with the new materials, a more responsive and easier to trick kite.  Straight out of the bag I found tricks simply more accessable. The new kite, as I said above, just has a better feel. It is for me easier and more fun to fly.  I consider it a significant upgrade.  Further, my opinion is a new E3 flyer equipped with the 2010 version will be much less likely to feel the need to experiment with his bridle.   I hope these opinions are helpful  Wink
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:54 AM by DaveH » Logged
socalman320

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 10:48 PM »

VERY helpful indeed!!

Thank you for that Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document