GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 10:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sail with patterns vs. sail with no pattern(stitched seam)...  (Read 3715 times)
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 06:10 AM »

But then you don't get proper grain orientation, so some high stress points are not aligned with the weave of the fabric. The grain orientation can also to some small extent be used to get a more efficient camber. I would hesitate to say that a single panel is strongest and most efficient, especially when using nylon but to some extent with icarex as well.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 06:38 AM »

But then you don't get proper grain orientation, so some high stress points are not aligned with the weave of the fabric.

Does that really matter with an SUL?
It seems to me the drag created by seams would have a more adverse effect on an SUL than the orientation of the fabric warp might.
Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 06:54 AM »

Perhaps. Someone needs to do some experimentation.  Undecided
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 07:20 AM »

I was under the impression that additional panels allow you to get 3D shapes/curves in the sail that you cannot achieve with a single panel.  Is this right? 

If so, then there is a huge part of kite design that is missing from most of Lam's kites.  Hmmmmm.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 07:53 AM »

Remember that Lam's kites all have applique ...except for the tattoo ...I would think that appliques could also be thought of in the same light as panels?

just a muse

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 09:33 AM »

Smooth isn't always the most aerodynamic, look at the golf ball.

That being said, I'm not sure if my  F SUL Tattoo will fly in lower wind than the regular F SUL but Lam seems to think it does Smiley & I believe him. He designed these kites and has the most time on them, so he should know. I doubt the difference is very much though & may be due to the slight weight savings or possibly the lower aerodynamic drag. Without extensive testing, I don't think we can get a definitive answer.

I like the kite and have flown it a bunch without any problems with durability of the Tattoo sail. I only use it in very low winds so I can't answer what would happen to the sail in higher winds.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 09:42 AM »

If you're to the point where you drop this kind of money on kites, durability should be pretty low on the list of priorities.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 10:17 AM »

Yeah but if you do drop Fearless type coin on a kite, it better be durable and so far (for me) they have been. Anyone that has seen Lam's kites up close knows how well they are made.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 11:17 AM »

Cids-
   Why don't you just ask Lam? Cool

"Do what you like"
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 12:12 PM »

Had mine for over a year, fly it all the time in a variety of winds and aside from normal bridle wear, it looks and flys like it did when I got it.

Technical details aside - I think that the tattoo just LOOKS COOL!  Smiley 

6 kite tom
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 06:14 PM »

Yeah but if you do drop Fearless type coin on a kite, it better be durable and so far (for me) they have been. Anyone that has seen Lam's kites up close knows how well they are made.
I'd have to agree here...I don't want to drop that many bills and not be able to enjoy that bad boy for awhile. I do however understand longevity issues if I decide to fly my SUL in a hurricane/tornado... Roll Eyes

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 02:48 PM »

I have not flown mine enough but asked Lam to make it fly between 1-12 mph. So I have 2PT and 3PT spreaders for the kite. On one flight in late March the wind picked up from 2-20 mph at Asbury,NJ in 15 minutes. I took it down at 10 mph or so with 2PT as I became concerned - of course. As with his kites durability is not an issue - but this kite is really in SUL winds for FULL trickability. Worrying above Light or Standard winds is irrelevant in his kiting line. Switch kites. I use the American flag as a wind guage on a nearby building in situations like of sudden weather changes. Really looking forward to more LOW WIND days with this GEM.  Wink Wink Wink

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 04:15 PM »

don't forget, for woven materials, if your sewing machine and needle are doing their job correctly they're not breaking fibers to create a hole, but rather pushing those fibers out of the way.

like you walking through a corn field, how many stalks would you trample?

Fdeli
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 07:17 PM »

don't forget, for woven materials, if your sewing machine and needle are doing their job correctly they're not breaking fibers to create a hole, but rather pushing those fibers out of the way.

like you walking through a corn field, how many stalks would you trample?
That's not true with coated sail cloth. They require using sharp needles that cut through the material.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Kantaxel

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 10:16 PM »

WHOA THERE!
I take a nap and the the whole thread is retitled?

Whatever happened to the Fearless bashing?

Shoot!

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change