GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 04:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best wind for executing tricks.  (Read 1665 times)
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« on: April 06, 2010, 06:01 AM »

What  will be the best winds for executing certain tricks? Like JL- 6 mph, 540s- 4 mph, fade- ----  -- comete ...   .....   
DWayne

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 06:46 AM »

What  will be the best winds for executing certain tricks? Like JL- 6 mph, 540s- 4 mph, fade- ----  -- comete ...   .....   
I'm going to say that depends on the kite, and your skill level.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 07:01 AM »

Lets not forget the MP3 effect, and whats streaming into your head via those little ear buds.

Brian Eno 1/1 for indoor 540's

AC/DC (anything from Back in Black and back) for everything else Cool

WinterDaze AoF
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 07:07 AM »

More than how much wind, it's about quality.  I would take 10mph beach wind over 4mph inland wind nearly any day of the week.  But that being said, other than the comete and the rolling cascade, I'd say that everything is better at around 4-5mph. 

As you get better, I think you will end up inevitably prefering lower winds?

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
DWayne

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 07:38 AM »

More than how much wind, it's about quality. 

How true.

As you get better, I think you will end up inevitably prefering lower winds?

obi

I prefer a standard kite and 8 mph wind. But that's just me.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 08:28 AM »

I think that, except for the comete and insane, most everything is better/easier in lower wind. 

I've heard it before on here and its true - go out and fly when you have the time no matter the conditions - you will learn alot about your kites and flying that way.  Its fun to fly in high wind, you just do different tricks, move your hands and feet faster, and pick where in the window you do certain tricks.

6 kite tom
Beachbum
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 09:19 AM »

Too many variables with this topic, especially when you have to factor in skill, kite, wind type, etc.

Too light and you will keep chucking it out of the sky and actually do more work than needed.  Too heavy and you will not learn anything at all, but....

...if you can do a flare to fade and only have to slowly walk forward to hold the fade, i.e. 1 step per second, then you have the perfect wind.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 11:55 AM »

I don't have to execute my tricks.

They mostly die naturally...

Allen, AKA kitehead
tempest

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 01:00 PM »

OK .... Cheesy  Cheesy .     So like i am in the beginner to intermediate stage and flying a SD light, what strength winds should you learn to do the Yo-fade?  Comete?    Crazy copter?     
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 02:56 PM »

for my learning when I did this everything but the Commete was in roughly 5 to 6 mph winds.
The Commete was in high(er) winds. Probably between 8 and 11.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Dolphinboy

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 04:17 PM »

OK .... Cheesy  Cheesy .     So like i am in the beginner to intermediate stage and flying a SD light, what strength winds should you learn to do the Yo-fade?  Comete?    Crazy copter?     

Smooth wind will make you trick soooooo much better Grin What wind speed for specific tricks is going to be more kite dependent.

I like the SD Light up to about 10 mph but it's sweet spot for me is between about 3-6. The SDL is a Flic Flac nut Wink

Try the Yo Fade & CC in lighter wind the Comete in more. Don't get all caught up in what speed is best though. You'll get a feel what tricks you can hit but again, smooth wind has the biggest effect.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 05:07 AM »

Smooth wind is a luxury item here.

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
Dolphinboy

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 09:50 AM »

For me too, but when I do get some smooth wind, amazingly, I become a LOT better and when the wind is bumpy again i can hit more stuff.

My point is fly when you can but when you do have the opportunity to get out in good wind, make the most of it. Work on the tricks you're having trouble with and when the wind is not as good you'll probably be able to hit some stuff you couldn't before. Even in the crappier wind.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
DaveH
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 10:17 AM »

For me too, but when I do get some smooth wind, amazingly, I become a LOT better and when the wind is bumpy again i can hit more stuff.

My point is fly when you can but when you do have the opportunity to get out in good wind, make the most of it. Work on the tricks you're having trouble with and when the wind is not as good you'll probably be able to hit some stuff you couldn't before. Even in the crappier wind.

+1
For those of us who live inland, bumpy winds are a fact of life.  But its not all bad.  On a day when the wind is fairly strong and you're tricking mostly on the edge, there will be lulls when you can get a move or two directly downwind.  I think its kind of like surfing, watching for the right wave, being ready when the wind is right.  In inland conditions its more about doing what the kite/wind is ready for rather than thinking, ok, now I'm going to work on JLs.  The main drawaback is long combos because the wind will very often change before you're done with the series.  Also, making uncut videos is tough because you might get two minutes of good wind then five of nothing, etc.  But I'm thankful I live in a place where there's pretty much always some kind of wind.  Like Bill Dance says about little bass, "at least its pullin' your string"
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 09:04 PM »

There is nothing natural about your tricks..not even their deaths.  Grin Cheesy Wink

I don't have to execute my tricks.

They mostly die naturally...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document