GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 12:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mirage XL  (Read 2584 times)
socalman320
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: April 06, 2010, 09:26 AM »

Anyone here have one of these or have flown one before? Since I like larger kites I'm kinda gettin' curious about it. Seem kinda pricey though.

ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 11:53 AM »

I have had 2. Big, sounds like a B52 in a gust, pulls plenty hard, meduim to slow flight, tough as nails, needs long strong lines. I kind of miss mine at times. Wink

"Do what you like"
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 12:13 PM »

The Mirage XL is a bad Powerkite and a bad speedkite too !  :'(

Try the Panther II by Long Duong !  Wink

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 12:22 PM by Tataouine » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 12:19 PM »

Just want to point out to many of you that I DON'T have any pictures of this kite.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 12:59 PM »

Just want to point out to many of you that I DON'T have any pictures of this kite.  Smiley

Huh  Huh  Huh  Huh

No, John.... say it ain't so.  Next, you'll be telling me lies about the Easter Bunny and Santa  :'(  :'(  :'(

This Zeke's Mirage XL

Mine is on the right here (with a Goliath and Gen 1 Ozone)... the UPS man just rolled his eyes that day.  Roll Eyes

@Tataouine
What didn't you like about the Mirage XL... wouldn't really call it a speedkite.  The BatKite is faster (not as fast as the Tiger or Panther) and turns sharper.

ATB,
Sam
socalman320

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 01:12 PM »

Sam,

Those look puuuuurdy Grin

The one on the right looks like the latest colors. What did that animal run you? The one on the left is a Goliath? Same manufacturer?

I know they have lots of pull but I certainly wouldn't use it specifically for power kiting. Maybe that's what Tataouine means?

I have a Beamer IV 3.0 for that Smiley
indigo_wolf

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 01:45 PM »

I needed some "rainbow" kites... I was going to a unicorn festival.  Wink

The one on the right looks like the latest colors. What did that animal run you? The one on the left is a Goliath? Same manufacturer?

Same retailer, different manufacturer.  The Mirage is made by Elliot kites.   Price was probably $25-30 less when I picked it up a few years ago.  Not a terrible hike as one or two kites have jumped over $60 dollars in the past year.  I have already kicked myself repeatedly for procrastinating  on one of them.   

On the pricing, I expect a good deal of the pricing on the Mirage is due to the framing... which is substantial.  The nocks look like they belong on a camera tripod rather than a kite.

Pretty sure you can use the battens as chopsticks in a pinch.  Shocked

ATB,
Sam
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 02:23 PM »

I know they have lots of pull but I certainly wouldn't use it specifically for power kiting. Maybe that's what Tataouine means?
Yes, the Mirage is sold as "Powerkite" but it don't pulls very much.  Wink
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 04:19 PM »

If that is the case I am glad I only flew mine in winds under 10mph. It would have pulled me out of my shoes above that. Smiley

"Do what you like"
socalman320

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 04:34 PM »

If pull is what you seek then look into a parafoil(IE:HQ Beamer). Depending on experience,height and weight though, start off small. Either 2 or 3 meter. That should get you pulled around pretty good. Be careful!!
socalman320

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 04:36 PM »

I needed some "rainbow" kites... I was going to a unicorn festival.  Wink

Same retailer, different manufacturer.  The Mirage is made by Elliot kites.   Price was probably $25-30 less when I picked it up a few years ago.  Not a terrible hike as one or two kites have jumped over $60 dollars in the past year.  I have already kicked myself repeatedly for procrastinating  on one of them.   

On the pricing, I expect a good deal of the pricing on the Mirage is due to the framing... which is substantial.  The nocks look like they belong on a camera tripod rather than a kite.

Pretty sure you can use the battens as chopsticks in a pinch.  Shocked

ATB,
Sam

Not knowing price you paid kinda tough to compare to the 325.00 I'm seeing so far. Thinking I like the kite and all but WOW.
indigo_wolf

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 06:08 PM »

Not knowing price you paid kinda tough to compare to the 325.00 I'm seeing so far. Thinking I like the kite and all but WOW.

Sorry.... I wasn't being evasive for the heck of it.... we were just skittering towards the edge of the forum posting rules/ettiquette/whatever discussing comparative pricing on a kite that was both through another retailer. 

Check your PMs for a response that doesn't require a box tops or a decoder ring.

ATB,
Sam
socalman320

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 06:12 PM »

Sigh......ya mean NOW I can't use my decoder ring?  Cry Cry

Oh alright Roll Eyes

And thanks. Cheesy
socalman320

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 06:30 PM »

I read on a few reviews that the XL has had issues with things coming apart and having to be re-adjusted after or in flight?? Have any of you run across that problem at all or yet?
indigo_wolf

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 10:26 AM »

Wondering if there were any specifics on the "re-adjustments."  It's possible that I avoided some of them due to personal preferences and general weirdness on my part.  Undecided

Some general thoughts. 

The battens are held in by velcro straps (similar to how the spine is held in most dual line kites). You generally cinch these in fairly tight.  If you let the velcro load up with sand, leaf particles, general debris, I can see where this might be a problem until you clean the velcro.  I have other kites where the battens go into a pocket and then lock into the leech line (the battens have mini-nocks on one end), and I actually kind of like that method.

The XL is a high aspect kite (read lots of leverage and fairly heavy.  Bringing it down on one wing tip at speed would probably result in the following equation: Mass x Acceleration = <* Crunch *>

The wing-tip tension line is kind of thin and not particularly grippy.  I can see where some slippage might occur here.  Honestly, as a result of preventative paranoia this was never an issue for me.

On the Mirage, the nocks are formed of medium hard rubber.  If you took the letter "U", extruded it, and drilled holes in the flat sides, it's pretty much what you would get.

The side holes are where you would snake the wing tip tension line through.  Due to the snug fit, this kind of means removing the nocks each time you disassemble the kite. I was a little... <* whatever you are when you spend a lot of time furrowing your forehead *> about this arrangement.  Partially due the amount of fiddling required and I wondered if the thin tension line would cut into the nock.  Sooooo.... I took some 170# bridle line and made an loop that I tied a few pigtails in.   I fed this through the side of the nock and larks head it to the lower leading edge. This is what the tension line is attached to and the nocks remain in place during assembly amd disassembly.

It's possible that the tension line locks in and slips less on the bridle line than the spar.  The pig-tailed bridle line is at full extension and has no place left to go, so no slippage there. 

I can't confirm if there are any issues with the original arrangement.... I tweaked it because it bothered me for no overly tangible reason.   I am just weird about some things like that. 

ATB,
Sam

PS:
I read on a few reviews that the XL has had issues with things coming apart and having to be re-adjusted after or in flight??

If you can make appreciable adjustments to your kite in flight Huh, I am awed and a little scared .  I generally assumed that required the use of (exceptionally well-)trained falcons.  Wink
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum