GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 09:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4D issues  (Read 5353 times)
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« on: April 06, 2010, 11:40 AM »

Prism has a small amount of replacement nocks available but they have arranged to have more expressed in ASAP.  If you need a replacement let me know or email Prism and we will get you taken care of.  At this time given the inventory on those nocks they are aksing that you only request replacement of what is missing and once they have received more you can then get spares.
Spoke with Mark this morning about this issues.  He will be making a video available online shortly that shows how to tie the nock on (btw ... a copy of that video was also sent to the factory).  The knot they use is a clove hitch.
I just double checked mine and it is indeed a clove hitch and even after tensioning and de-tensioning 50 times (at least) it is good and snug.
Those of you that sent emails to me with your concerns/issues I have forwarded them along to Prism.  Also Prism is reading the forum to monitor the issues.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 12:36 PM »

what was happening with the nocks supplied?? breakage? not fitting?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 12:48 PM »

what was happening with the nocks supplied?? breakage? not fitting?

The tension line was coming undone from the nock and the nock was going AWOL.

As Larry put it:
"When you assemble the kite and have occasion to check it out on the ground, be sure leading edge tension lines are secure to the nifty plastic end caps.  If they're not, the cap can slide off easily.  From experience, finding one of those in grass is, for all practical purposes, impossible. "

ATB,
Sam
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 03:09 PM »

Clove Hitch.

How To Tie a Clove Hitch Knot

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 04:15 PM »

The knot they use is a clove hitch.
I just double checked mine and it is indeed a clove hitch and even after tensioning and de-tensioning 50 times (at least) it is good and snug.

I put my glasses on and really looked ours over yesterday..................It seems ours is tensioned from the factory very evenly, not too tight and not loose..........It is indeed a clove hitch and it seems (probably) that some are going to be right and some (maybe) not tied properly...........Can't see how it could come loose without manipulation on my part Wink

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 06:37 PM »

http://www.gwtwforum.com/pdf/4d_nock_knot.pdf

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 01:49 PM »

This knot business is always confusing.  I probably should have been a boy scout when I was young.  Sad

Based on the pdf does two half hitches = one clove hitch? 
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 02:23 PM »

This knot business is always confusing.  I probably should have been a boy scout when I was young.  Sad

Based on the pdf does two half hitches = one clove hitch? 

Not the way I understood it (think the PDF is mixing terms).  Half hitches the knot goes around the "standing" line.... Clove hitch the knot goes around the object you are tying too.  See here

Apparently I wasted away too much time in the BSA with frozen eggs, undercooked meat, night time sledding, wildly unstable boats, and various combustible/explosive/projectile activities.  Sad

ATB,
Sam
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 04:25 AM »

Steve, received my 4D today in great condition.

Luckily I have been checking the forum and found that the knots on my end knocks were only one simple clove hitch which wasnt secure at all.

I simply re-tied the end knocks as per the 4D pdf. No issues now, just thought I would post to enable Prism to be aware that the QA around the end knocks seems pretty wide spread.

cheers

steve
spence602
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 09:46 AM »

The tension line was coming undone from the nock and the nock was going AWOL.

A drop of hot glue on the LE rod (then slide the nock on) will keep it there, and allow it to be re-purposed if needed.  

Spence
Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 02:29 PM »

A few 4D parts are now available.

Steve ... Ancient One
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 05:34 AM »

Now that I have the knots redone on the 4D I am ready to take it out in the real world.

Another unusual thing (at least for me) is the center T.  The spreaders do not stop in the center but go all the way through.  Other kites I own have a stop or use a male/female set up to keep the spreaders from going through the T. 

Should there be a stop to hold the spreaders in place?  Since the frame is somewhat non rigid will the spreaders pop out of the center T during flight?  I am a little concerned about a sail puncture on its maiden voyage.
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 06:48 AM »

I haven't had anything like that happen. the LS have the marks for depth so you can be sure to keep them even. Mine are a pretty tight fit though...

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
DaveH
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 06:58 AM »

I don't think they'll pop out. There's some tension on them with the standoffs in place and I feel that will hold them in.  I did notice the center T was loose in its fitting and could slide right or left, and I assume all the way out. I just put some CA on it.  Problem solved.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 09:24 AM »

as with daves CT my ferule was loose when i p[ulled it out i noticed a slight kink or dent in itto keep the speaders from sliding thru i also used a drop of ca to hold the ferule in place u might want to check the ferule i ordered a n extra ct as it looks like it could easily break at the kink

have fun kurt
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum