GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 05:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4D issues  (Read 5039 times)
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 07:13 PM »

Lucky for me I was able to fly the 4D most of the day at a local kite festival.

After one particularly LONG session of no wind I went to check on the 4D.  Even though I had retied per the PRISM instruction, one of the nocks was loose, but still attached with one knot.

I recommend you keep a close lookie at this part.

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
kitelover
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 06:43 AM »

I haven't seen a new 4D yet, so don't know what the fittings look or work like, but is there some reason they can't just be glued on?  With any other kite, if the nocks aren't glued and the bungie or tie down breaks, the nock is usually lost. What's the big deal with this one?
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 06:55 AM »

To make it a cinch to put together, Prism designed a clever little wingtip fitting that instantly tensions and de-tensions the leading edge with no knots to fumble with.

at least this was the idea

Fdeli
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 07:00 AM »

Although I like the 4D the nock seems more like a gimmick than a revolutionary concept.  If I loose them I will probably go to a traditional fixed nock as a replacement.
DaveH
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 07:27 AM »

I really like how the nock works because its so quick and easy to tension the LE.  But  I don't trust the clove hitch or any other knot to hold.  Mine came tied in clove hitches but each side was tensioned dramatically differently, so I had to re tie them anyway.  I got them tensioned evenly, tied them off with the proper clove hitch and then lightly covered the knot with a little CA.  Didn't make a mess, looks nice and there no way its ever coming undone. 
Kitemac

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 01:06 PM »

Took the 4D out today and the center T has become loose.  Based on some of the earlier posts I know this now needs to be glued.

How about the bridle attachments to the leading edge.  Two of them came loose today.  Looks like they are tied with a half hitch.  Is that how there are coming in?  I am starting to become paranoid double checking each knot to be sure it is still tight before and after flying it.
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 06:55 PM »

Got my replacement nock from Prism the other day. I like the concept. A skeletonized nock, that stays attached...(kind of). Tied mine back on...will see if the patented Clove hitch works. I am guessing we are beta testers for this kite. So we will keep track of what parts work....and what parts don't. And alert the proper authorities in Seattle, when necessary.

We are Prism proud!   Grin      OORAH!

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
DonCrash

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 03:48 PM »

Check the knots on the Bridle to LE. They'll stay, once tied correctly. I've double checked mine and only had to re-tie one, wasnt quite tied like the rest.

For the nock, i've decided to add a reverse clove after the first two. Or is it, a reverse half-hitch after the first two. There seems to be enough line for it.

Vented L'organic; Vortex; DS (closeted); Quantum (modded to taz); Ocius STD, UL, UL (2pt P90), SUL; Pi (Home made kite)
Kitemac

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 04:52 PM »

Check the knots on the Bridle to LE. They'll stay, once tied correctly. I've double checked mine and only had to re-tie one, wasnt quite tied like the rest.

For the nock, i've decided to add a reverse clove after the first two. Or is it, a reverse half-hitch after the first two. There seems to be enough line for it.

I checked them today and made sure everything was snug.  No problems!!  Steve and some other flyers also suggested using wax.  Overall I like this kite.
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 05:03 PM »

Once I redid my knots on the nocks per the Steve  Wink, I've had zero loosening. And have had no bridle issues at all...

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 06:40 AM »

As with any mass produced kite, the knowlegable flyer will always check knots, ferrules and bridles before the very first flight and occasionally thereafter......It's the nature of the beast, as they say.  The novice soon becomes educated after the first failure or two......(or if he/she reads the owner's manual) Cool

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
DaveH
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 07:10 AM »

As with any mass produced kite, the knowlegable flyer will always check knots, ferrules and bridles before the very first flight and occasionally thereafter......It's the nature of the beast, as they say.  The novice soon becomes educated after the first failure or two......(or if he/she reads the owner's manual) Cool

True story.

One of my bridle connections was loose when I first opened the case, but I tied it like the rest and haven't had any trouble in a number of flying sessions.
Kitemac

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 07:42 AM »

The novice soon becomes educated after the first failure or two......(or if he/she reads the owner's manual) Cool

Being a novice (as if you didn't know by my questions) I learned quite a bit in the role of beta tester.  Being sure to check the original knots on the wing tips did not keep them from getting loose again.  Checking the wrong knot over and over again doesn't make it right.  The two half hitches did solve the problem.  The knots on the leading edge were different than I have seen on my other kites which were a lark head type arrangement.  I am not sure even if Prism did have the manuals ready these questions would be answered.

End of the day I lost no parts, didn't break anything, learned more than I would have if I waited for a year and have a nice kite.  Seems like I came out ahead on the deal.
bmfinc
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 07:22 AM »

I really like how the nock works because its so quick and easy to tension the LE.  But  I don't trust the clove hitch or any other knot to hold.  Mine came tied in clove hitches but each side was tensioned dramatically differently, so I had to re tie them anyway.  I got them tensioned evenly, tied them off with the proper clove hitch and then lightly covered the knot with a little CA.  Didn't make a mess, looks nice and there no way its ever coming undone. 

What is CA?  Is everyone doing this or are most knots holding on their own?  Thanks!
Boogie

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2010, 07:50 AM »

What is CA?  Is everyone doing this or are most knots holding on their own?  Thanks!

CA glue, used commonly in hobbies and crafts.  After flying my 4D a few times, I noticed the knots starting to come loose and they were tied with the clove hitch.  They aren't coming loose at an alarming rate really, just happened to noticed they were giving a little, so if I have to make a walk of shame or whatever, I just give it a quick once-over...which is what you should normally do anyways.  I'm a bit reluctant to secure the knots with glue or anything in the event I need to replace the nock, I don't want to ruin the string or whatever that ties the sail to the nock. 

Related to moral relativism, it states that ethics become subjective only when approaching the speed of light. That is, it's ok to be self-serving, steal and murder as long as you're going really, really fast. (Note: This is why rap sounds better on the highway at 90mph)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document