GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 04:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back to Basics - a new season!  (Read 1250 times)
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: April 07, 2010, 05:56 AM »

I've been flying a few years now pretty much by myself and trying to learn different things through trial and error. My success rate is at least 50% for the stuff I can do but I wanted to get better.

JimB graciously offered to give me some tips so we met up on Monday for a few hours and I've got a new appreciation for the basics now. I'm the kind of guy that likes a challenge and a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to things that I really care about.

Jim said that you really have to move to maintain a stall. So I ran (the wind was 12-15 mph) and tried to keep the nose up. I eventually would lose it as the nose started to tip to the side and then it was all over. The challenge for me now is to try and maintain the stall and learn to control the kite to keep the kite steady. Very cool!

The other thing he taught me was the tip stand which I never spent much time trying to figure out because it never worked. It's counter-intuitive because you need to put pressure on the down-side wing and slack the up-side wing to get it off the ground. The challenge is to get that wing up so that it's almost parallel to the ground and keep it there. I had a lot of fun working on that as I caught my breath after all my running.

Jim said that a lot of people would rather skip the basics like this because it's not as cool as the "wow" stuff. I have a new appreciation for learning the control that you need to get to really "feel" the kite and now what it wants to do and what YOU want it to do. I'll be working on this because I know what to look for now!

It was a really good day! (Even though I lost two stand off buttons off of my Nirvana and sheared off another from the HW trying to get a spare button for the standard. So I got out my Transfer xt.r. The wind was 12-15 mph but it made my efforts more of a challenge.)

Bob D.
DaveH
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 08:16 AM »

That does sound like a great day !  Smiley

I think there is little as impressive as a well placed, controlled tip stand.  I remember when I first started it was common to spin the wind out of the sail and land in a tip stand.  I still get a kick out of that basic move.  Now that you mention it, the Nirvana is my favorite kite for it.  Its great spin characteristics make this move a pleasure.  Thanks Bob for reminding us about these building blocks.  Wink
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:15 PM »

Hey Bob!

You did great!

Looking forward to next time.

You really can't spend too much time working on the fundamentals.  Wink
anOldMan
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 01:25 AM »

As the saying goes - Its is better to build your house on rock than on sand.

The stronger the foundation the better the end product. Always!!!  Smiley

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 04:46 AM »

I always like a good challenge and maintaining a nice clean stall without the nose wavering is my new challenge! Thanks for the tips, Jim!

Bob D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change