GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 05:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommended full size (or close to it) indoor/very light wind kite under $200?  (Read 3738 times)
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 08:54 PM »

the QP sul was also my favorite but if you are expecting it to fly in the range you specified you did not do your homework the 4d will cover you though
I have to agree. I flew both today for the first time and wind started at basically 0. I had to move to keep the 4D in the air but then as it picked up the QP SUL took over handily when the frame was flexing on the 4D(minor flexing, still inside it's range. winds never got over 8 mph today). Mine didn't come with yo-yo stoppers (I got it used, need to fix that) but it handled everything I could throw at it (admittedly, that's not much, but I liked the feel while doing my limited repertoire  Embarrassed )

The 4D isn't what I would call a "full size" kite but with both, you are definitely covered for zero to low winds...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 08:59 PM by xuzme720 » Logged

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 07:21 AM »

Thanks for the infos!

The SUL was $319, so yes, I was out of my price range but the timing was right for going to the TOP of my range.

I have a 0-8mph kite already and love it.  However it is 58".  The 4D was bought to "replace" the current light wind kite because it is 58" and fast.

I wanted a light-0 wind BIG kite that was slow enought that I can learn stuff on.  I emphasis was on the LARGE size, and that it will fly in light/low winds. 

When I watch the other kiters in the area, they all have the 84-92" wingspan low wind kites and they are very manuverable.  I would fly my little light wind 58"r and could not do much because it was all over the sky.  Even the local expert said "if you can fly this thing you can fly anything".  He recommended the Qpro SUL as #2 with the Fearless being #1.

I look forward to the 4D today.  I hope that PRISM can deliver the QPro quickly as I am a Christmas Eve rather than Christmas DAY kinda guy.

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 05:00 PM »

sorry jeep but i am missing something where is the large 0 wind kite you are refering to ? the QP is good at 3 and up at least for me otherwise it is a lot of work IMO dont get me wrong it is a great kite but the exile does that and more for less $$

have fun kurt
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 07:41 PM »

The Quantum Pro SUL is 1-6 according the web.  That is what I want.  At this point I (actually) do not want a 0 wind, only indoor kite.

I really like the wind in my hair (albiet bald hair) and I think the 1-6 SUL is what I am looking for.  If not...it will be in the FOR SALE section!  hehe

As stated...I do have the 4D.

I live in Colorado so the wind occillates rather than blows.   I have the heavy wind Quantum (flies like a COW) so I am set there.

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
DaveH
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 01:41 PM »

I have the QPSUL and have flown it a bunch. Not really my cup of tea, but that's ok.  Here's a trick for you:
If you're out flying your QP and the wind drops to the point that its too much work, disconnect the outer standoffs and let them hang in the breeze (you did put CA on the caps, didnt you?). This will significantly increase forward drive at the expense of pitch based performance. The only thing you'll notice it in are rollups, which aren't the best idea with a delicate SUL anyway.  Just something I discovered by accident and works well for me. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change