GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 04:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upper spreader problem.  (Read 1480 times)
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« on: April 09, 2010, 05:23 AM »

The upper spreader on my Nirvana std is pressing down on the main spine so much, that it is causing the wear patch and sail to wear through. Now there is a hole where they meet.  Cry Cry .  Any help in solving the problem will be appreciated.
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 05:53 AM »

Take the soft side of some stick on Velcro and stick it over the patch area. It will cover up the hole and your problem will be solved. Make sure it's as long as the Dacron patch (if there is one... should be about an inch) as the upper spreader bends up and down on the kite (this is why it wore a hole in the fabric).

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 06:07 AM »

If you don't really mind the hole being there, reinforce the edges with CA glue so it won't tear and put some tape on the spine to prevent the spars from working against each other. A few layers of vinyl electrical tape works well, as do many others. The moonie tape from Steve here is probably the best stuff for that - everyone should have a bit of that stuff in their repair kit. It's not pretty but it is easy and works.

If you want to patch it so there's no hole, I recommend putting some moonie tape over top of a dacron reinforcement piece. In my experience it lasts a lot longer than velcro, stays better, and is easier to replace.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 06:07 AM »

a piece of clear packing tape cut to shape and size will also work in a pinch.

Fdeli
tempest

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 07:03 AM »

At present i am using a piece of thin adhesive dacron tape. Thought of using adhesive velcro but wouldn't the thickness create more pressure between the rods?  Of All the kites i have the Nirvana is the only one that has so much pressure at that point and is it normal for this kite?
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 07:07 AM »

The Velcro is soft and plush. I've worn through several Dacron patches. I've placed Dacron stripes on top of that and it's worn through pretty quick. The Velcro lasts much longer. As the Velcro wears down you will see it start to compress a little. Simply peal it off and put another one on. Personally, I'd not go back.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
rxburner
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 04:30 PM »

Moonie Tape...
http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=255

Rx
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 04:31 PM »

The best protection (IMHO) : Heat-shrink tubing or...

tempest

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 04:45 AM »

Thanks  everyone, for all the help with this problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change