GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 09:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite as a carry-on.  (Read 1112 times)
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« on: April 09, 2010, 08:06 AM »

Will be going to the Caribbean shortly ,and does anyone knows if there are any restrictions for carrying  a kite with you as a carry-on with the airlines?
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 08:14 AM »

Carried many a kite as  carry on in my travels. You can out them in a carboard or plastic tube for protection but i just velcro 3 or 4 single kite bags together and put them in the overhead(if you talk nice to the steward/stewardess they will sometimes put them in a front strorage). If you put them into a container to carry on just be prepared to open it. Also be clear that its a KITE. They very much frown on golfclubs,bats, skateboards etc.  On a complete sidebar I saw a guy meltdown when he was told he couldnt carry on his brand new expensive driver.
ymmv

Sine Metu!
socalman320
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 08:30 AM »

I've hard that metal handles(Rev kite handles) may be frowned upon too. Haven't experienced it myself.  Would be curious to know though since I'd like to take my Rev with me in the future and kinda need the handles. Cheesy
benjai
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 08:54 AM »

I've always checked mine in  Huh Huh Huh but they have been well packed  Grin

One thing - don't expect great winds in the caribbean...
kjdubuque
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 09:44 AM »

I took mine to Hawaii is a plastic fishing pole case.  I checked them and they made it just fine with no damage.  Definitely check the wind patterns.  I made the mistake of not checking and didn't know about the summer trade winds; 25-30 mph every day.
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 10:11 AM »

Just two days ago I took a short bag with my Revs, a couple of SLKs, linesets, Rev handles, ground stake, etc. onboard with me. Fits nicely in the overhead bin behind or over the carry-on bags. Done that a few times without a problem.

When I travel in the summer and typically take more, I use a double-size SporTube and check it through. Use a TSA-approved cable lock on it with the standard locking clip for peace of mind. Always had very good luck with that method, too.

Bob
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 10:19 AM »

I prefer to keep the kite with me so it does not get broken or crushed. I am concerned that there may be an issue with the spars, and the length of the kite in its bag being about 36 ins.I do not want them to think that i have intentions do something harmful with the spars. I had a problem last when going through security inspection , i had a 1 1/4" hole saw bit taken away as it was not allowed to be in my carry-on bag.
I fly in a huge ( 1 mile diameter ) savannah  , where the winds are smooth and gentle in the mornings.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 01:05 PM »

Obtain yourself a Zephyr case.........will hold two or three kites/linesets and fits very well in the overhead compartment.

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change