GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 10:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar Cooking Question  (Read 1827 times)
Charly
Trade Count: (+22)

« on: April 10, 2010, 01:15 AM »

I was just wondering if there was any fliers here who were also into solar cooking.  If there are any of you here do you use a home built cooker, or a commercially bought cooker?  Just curious about feedback or suggestions for someone interested in solar cooking in general.

Thanks
Charly
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 02:23 AM by Charly » Logged

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
Sherman Myers
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 11:18 AM »

My wife purchased a solar cooker and, so far, it has'nt been easy. Thing just doesn't get hot enough.

Sherman Myers
Westfield, NJ
Charly

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 02:10 PM »

What model is it?  I haven't bought or built one yet.  Just wanting to chat with others that already have them and get their feedback.

Thanks
Charly

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 02:29 PM »

The only thing I've done is "sun tea"...wish I could help. Embarrassed

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 03:32 PM »

My wife purchased a solar cooker and, so far, it has'nt been easy. Thing just doesn't get hot enough.

If you lived here in S Texas, it would get plenty hot enough !

"Do what you like"
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 04:45 PM »

What's the point of using a solar cooker in the Pacific Northwest where the sun barely shines 60-70 days a year?  Now something that converts rain energy into heat would be awesome.

Ron
Charly

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 07:32 PM »

Ron,
  It doesn't take hot cloud free days to use a GOOD solar cooker.  The cheap home made pizza box type ovens can't compete with the bigger and better built models.  I have been reading up on solar ovens as well as the newer "parabolic" style cooker.  The regular ovens are much like a crock pot when it comes to cooking something.  The parabolic types are much faster, and are capable of generating temps in the 800 to 1200 degree range and are great for things like boiling water and frying stuff.  I was just looking for someone who actually has a solar oven and wanted to hear what they had to say...LOL

Charly

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 10:13 PM »

1200F???  Huh

Aluminum melts around that temperature.  Roll Eyes

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Charly

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 10:36 PM »

And that is EXACTLY why the use of aluminum pans is not suggested for parabolic cookers...LOL  You have learned an important lesson Grasshopper... Cool

Charly

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 12:47 PM »

Thank you for the link, but if I was looking to join another forum to get answers I would have already joined that one...LOL  I am looking to talk with KITE FLIERS who may use solar cookers and ovens.  In other words I want to chat with the horse's mouth and not the other end...LOL

Charly

ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 04:17 PM »

all you are going to get on this forum is the "other end" Charly

"Do what you like"
Hal
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 04:35 PM »

My son and I built one for a science project when he was in middle school.  Just a cardboard box, flat black paint, a piece of plexiglass and lots of aluminum foil.  he baked cookies in it for his class, worked pretty good too!  Still have it around someplace in case the power goes off  Grin

Hal
Helena, MT
Charly

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 08:46 PM »

all you are going to get on this forum is the "other end" Charly

At least it isn't as bad now as it was on the "old forum".  Heck I even have a sponsored ad here now.  I no longer feel like a red headed step child any more... Roll Eyes

Charly

Charly

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 09:09 PM »

Hal,
  Those home made solar ovens are great to have around just in case.  I was reading that with money being as tight as it has been that sales of solar ovens and building supplies is up something like 500 to 600 percent in the last 2 years.  There are many newer designs for making home made solar ovens and parabolic dishes.  There is also a large increase in new commercially available solar ovens out there now.  One of the newest designs is a combination of solar oven with electric back up in case the clouds come out.  It kicks on and keeps cooking your food until the clouds go away and the sun is out again, then it shuts off.

Inexpensive solar ovens are being made available to many 3rd world nations in attempts to reduce the pollution levels from cooking with wood or fossil fuels to cook with.  Their also being sent into countries that have suffered a major natural disaster.  I have even seen really large solar ovens that could provide enough service to feed a village.  I am not a tree hugger, but I think these ovens make sense.  And wouldn't it be nice to have a hot meal waiting after flying the afternoon away some where???

Charly

Hal
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 09:30 PM »

And wouldn't it be nice to have a hot meal waiting after flying the afternoon away some where???

Charly

Cookies took a while, but hot dogs were easy - until the clouds came   Embarrassed  But, I can still fly kites when its cloudy!

Hal
Helena, MT
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change