GWTW Forum
April 16, 2014, 12:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I dont like the color of my bike helmet. Can I spraypaint it?  (Read 2269 times)
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: April 10, 2010, 09:22 PM »

So will a can of spraypaint damage the foam that bike helmets are made of?
i'm thinkin dull or matte finish
Charly
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 09:28 PM »

I would suggest against trying to spray paint your helmet like this.  Usually aerosol paints are solvent based and those solvents may cause the foam to dissolve completely.  Try spraying a small amount of paint onto a cardboard square.  Then use a Q Tip to spread a tiny amount of paint on the foam in a place it won't show 1st.

Charly

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
browndude3649

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 09:31 PM »

Thanks for the advice!
Hmm maybe water base? With a air-brush?
Charly

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 10:40 PM »

Thanks for the advice!
Hmm maybe water base? With a air-brush?

What is wrong with it's current color???

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 11:50 PM »

The simple answer is no. For sure the foam won't hold up, assuming it is a hard shell since a soft shell you could simply change tha fabric color, you could probably remove the foam but that still won't help. Without some research into the materials used in the shell and compatability with the solvents used in your paint you could weaken the shell too. Even fiberglass motorcycle helments had the warning "Do not paint".

It's not worth the risk, your head is worth the cost of a new helmet if the color is really that bad. Are you using a mirror or something on the bike? I can't figure out how you're seeing the color when it's on and your riding unless you you have snail eyes and I don't recall noticing that last  time we met up  Wink

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 04:38 AM »

I got t-boned once. I broke the air dam and antenna of a VW Golf. I broke the windshield with my shoulder and I'm sure my helmet hit the windshield too. Don't do anything to alter the integrity of the helmet. You  might need it one day.

Bob D.
browndude3649

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 06:29 AM »

Mmmmyeah you guys are right. I'm having a hard time finding a Orange/Red styled helmet for I have have 2 bikes like that. The old helmet i had where it went who knows, was fine, but I'm skimming all the current brands for color my limit 100$ but i'm finding the 60$ have the best color.
I went thru Bell, Uvex, Giro, Specialized,um what am i missing?
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 08:05 AM »

I'm having a hard time finding a Orange/Red styled helmet for I have have 2 bikes like that. The old helmet i had where it went who knows, was fine, but I'm skimming all the current brands for color my limit 100$ but i'm finding the 60$ have the best color.
I went thru Bell, Uvex, Giro, Specialized,um what am i missing?

I just went through this exercise and spent several weeks doing the search for a helmet.

Let me know what colors (is it alright if the red/orange includes black or is that a deal breaker for the summer months), style of helmet (aero, multi-sport, moto, etc), buckle style, and helmet size.  Are you looking for a solid or patterned helmet?

ATB,
Sam
EBGB
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 08:23 AM »

Water based acrylics or water borne urethanes applied with an airbrush or gun would be an option.
Getting a good bond on plastic is always interesting - but at least it wouldn't eat the foam.

A few sticks short of a full frame.
Charly

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 12:52 PM »

I sent you a picture of an idea that might work instead of painting the helmet...LOL  Let me know what you think after you see the picture...LOL  I would have posted it here, but I don't know how to post a picture here.

Charly

Charly

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography