GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 05:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To Disguise The Vertical Rods On A Revolution  (Read 2704 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: April 10, 2010, 11:06 PM »

I like the idea of the Masterpiece Revs. The Rev has a nice, big, relatively flat "canvas" for the artists to create their work.

Sadly, those 2 vertical rods are always in the way of getting a nice, clean look to the finished work.

The Masterpiece that had the best chance to hide the spars, missed that mark by not lining up the "corners" of the blocks with the spars. Mr. Lester had the right idea, he was just off about 5 degrees in his verticality.

I've taken a few shots at it and sent some "roughs" to Bazzer, the fellow I think who has the best chance of pulling this off.

Here was my best idea:

If you'd like to take a shot at it, I've made a white version, complete with logo to put somewhere:

Thought about making this a contest, but it seemed slanted too much toward the computer graphic types.

Did Revolution ever make a stock design that "hid" the vertical spars by putting their panel changes along that line? Just wondering.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 11:23 PM »

I like that white one..

Good work John!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 11:41 PM »

I've always thought to get one thats all black - with the logo in white.

6 kite tom
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 03:22 AM »

hey i really like the airplane idea. very well done fine sir.

Fdeli
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 09:30 AM »

I designed these custom Revs for a future kite-building project a few weeks back and added a Rev logo today. Like Mr. Lester's masterpiece design, they fall slightly short of your 'disguise' goal but might have the ability to be 'tweaked' a little to meet your criteria. I might redo them at some later point but I'm not sure I will like the overall look as well. Based on your 'white template', it looks like the top of the vertical rods will line up with the design, as is.  Wink

And ...Here's a shameless plug ....I'd be honored if Ben would like to produce & market either of my designs ...if he would be willing to provide me with a couple 'Bazzer' sewn', complementary Revs in my design of course. No other compensation would be necessary!  Wink  Wink  Grin

(the 'Limelights' ...or first posted designs are my personal favorites)

This slight variation of the Purple one might work better with the logo included:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 10:16 AM by photogbill » Logged
photogbill

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 09:35 AM »

Here's another design I came up with a few weeks back, which would probably take forever to make ...not to mention drive me crazy attempting ...but the asymmetrical chaos of the triangles might serve to camouflage the vertical rods anyway (Rev logo added today):

photogbill

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 09:47 AM »

Here's a one-color (black) logo's I copied from my new B-Series and did some Photoshop work to get rid of the kite lines, etc. Other's can feel free to copy and paste them into their own creations if they would like to.  Grin

You may need to resize them to fit your own design. Also a tip, you need to use the magic wand tool and then the inverse command ....in order to copy and paste ONLY the black portion of the above logos!

Have fun.
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 10:55 AM »

Bill: If you use the magic wand directly on the black, you don't need to use the Inverse command.  Smiley

Here's a Rev clone I saw at KP 8 where the black did a good job of hiding the rods:

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 11:01 AM by chilese » Logged

kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 11:04 AM »

do you worry about hiding bottom spreaders on dual line kites too?
photogbill

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 11:31 AM »

Bill: If you use the magic wand directly on the black, you don't need to use the Inverse command.  Smiley

Here's a Rev clone I saw at KP 8 where the black did a good job of hiding the rods:

That is sometimes right John, but the problem with using the magic wand on the black, in this case ...is that the black in the logo is not connected to itself continuously. The 'R' alone has 3 separate black sections. Clicking on any one of them will only allow you to copy that one section, leaving the rest of the 'R' as well as the rest of the word 'Revolution', un-copied. By clicking on the continuos white portion of the image ...and then using the inverse command, you get the entire black sections of the image at one time.

That's a nice Rev clone! I don't think I've seen that one before. Well done. When I came up with my designs, I did the 'Triangles' one first but realized it would be far to complicated, with too many separate panels to make. I then decided to try and come up with a more simplified design, with straight lined panels and realized as I started that, although I wasn't consciously attempting to be ...I may have been partially inspired by this discontinued Masterpiece Rev:
photogbill

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 11:39 AM »

do you worry about hiding bottom spreaders on dual line kites too?

Not to mention the top spreader!  Wink

I guess the underlying point John is trying to make is that since part of a Rev's custom design 'aura' is in it's artistic appearance, that he thinks the visibility of the vertical rods are a distraction to the artistic appeal. He can correct me if I have mis-read his intent.

I can see John's point, as a fellow photographer of still photos ...but I'm not usually bothered by the vertical rods when viewing a Rev while I'm flying one ...or just watching someone else fly one. I think the mind subconsciously 'erases' the vertical rods on these occasions. The same applies to the spreaders ...to some degree in duel line deltas in flight.

Hey ...all this Rev talk has motivated me to get out and give my new B-Series it's maiden flight! I'll check back in on the subject later on! I gotta go fly a kite! Grin
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 11:42 AM by photogbill » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 11:44 AM »

The Rev is much more of a single flat panel piece of art.

Bill, the magic wand has a "contiguous" button which will cure the problem you spoke of when choosing black in the logo.

There are, after all, over 2 dozen ways of choosing portions of your picture in Photoshop according to one book I read.  Huh

kitelover
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 06:01 AM »

John, not to hijack your thread, but I would like to suggest a project for you. When docking multiple kites or even incidental contact, the bungi knots and washers are really snaggy and then hard to disengage. I know Lam has a system that's very clean, but I don't remember how he did it. Any ideas?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document