GWTW Forum
September 21, 2014, 01:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to support thread spool??  (Read 1707 times)
tommymcmillan
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: April 11, 2010, 04:06 AM »

I finally finshed tapeing the kite Cheesy,and parts of  the frame are starting to arrive Grin. How do I go about supporting/holding the large spool of  thread?? When I start to sew the kite. ???What's a good way to keep the needle from getting gummed upped by the seam tape?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 04:09 AM by tommymcmillan » Logged
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 06:11 AM »

likely what you need is a cone thread holder.

Fdeli
EBGB
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 08:38 AM »

Those thread stands work pretty good.

For the glue, if you're not going into some kind of big production, pick up a bottle of "Sewer's Aide" at your local sewing store. Use it to clean and lube your needle once in a while. Pick the little "buggers" off as they develope.

A few sticks short of a full frame.
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 09:17 AM »

If the thread is off a spool, it need to come off from the top, not the side. Use the stand that Fidelio posted. It's inexpensive and does the trick. Some other tricks I recently picked up...

Douse the thread spool with silicon spray. Helps protect the thread once on the kite and also make it resistant to things like the glue you mentioned.

Stick some Velcro on the top of the machine and put some Sewers Aide on it. Run the thread through the two pieces of Velcro.

If you are using any type of glue, remove the bobbin housing after use and make sure it's clean. This can make a _big_ difference (on side loading bobbins there should be a horseshoe shaped part with a screw holding it in. Remove that and clean parts inside).

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
sunsetflyers
Trade Count: (+76)

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 11:55 AM »

one of the best things to do is soak the thread with silicone spray like Todd said i was having same problem and did what Todd said and what a  huge differance  there is a topic on thread oilers in here with pictures of how to make with the velcro  great tool  and keep cleaning the  needle  Barry  Ogelbee told me to low heat with iorn on fabric with glue helps dry glue  just be careful  with heat

Steve & Sherri
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 12:06 PM »

If you don't have easy access to one of those thread holders and are anxious to go you can simply cut the bottom off a 2 liter soda bottle or even a milk bottle & feed the thread through the spout from the bottom and sit the bottle over the thread cone. Keeps the dust & cats off your thread too.

You just need something that will allow the thread to pull freely off the cone from directly overhead and approximately line up height wise with the location of the standard thread holder.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 12:21 PM »

If you don't have easy access to one of those thread holders and are anxious to go you can simply cut the bottom off a 2 liter soda bottle or even a milk bottle
I did that and it was REALLY messy... Coke everywhere!

The milk was no less messy.

Cheesy

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
711jrp

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 04:05 PM »

I use a bonded thread that is pre soaked in lubricant that I get from a more kite building related kite store, it works very well at stopping dropped stitches.in fact the cone will leak oil if left for a long time, so I keep it in a ziplock bag.

Pigs might fly, but only if you bridle them right!!

Pete
EBGB

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 06:04 PM »

The Velcro thread oiler posted at the "kitebuilding related site" was my design.
Worthwhile if your planning on building more than a few.

Go easy on the oil - too much can actually cause it's own set of problems.

Machines miss stitches for a number of reasons. When you're talking glue, your talking glue getting into the scarf on the back of the needle, gluing the thread to the needle. A little loop is supposed to form there as the needle starts back up, so the rotary hook can grab it and carry it around the bobbin.
Keep the scarf clean, and you don't have as many problems. Lubed thread keeps the scarf clean.

++ on the bonded thread. Bonded doesn't necessarly equal lubed though. Just glued together fibers. 

A few sticks short of a full frame.
MB
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 08:28 PM »

I use a water bottle that just barely fits over the thread spool bottom.  It keeps the spool from slipping out and takes up little space.

Matt
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 06:38 AM »

I've got an empty reel used to hold bulk bridle line that's got two bits of old spars in it - one on one side to support the thread and one on the other much taller with a nock in the end to run the thread through. I store a bunch of 3/8" hex nuts on it to give it enough mass to stay put. Never had any issues with it.
There are tons of ways to make a stand with random stuff lying around the house - no need to go out and buy anything  Smiley

I use dabond V-30 bonded polyester. I've never oiled the thread and have no lubrication system for it. The gum on the needle just randomly flies off when the glob gets big enough. On my current machine I have never had any problems that taking it apart and oiling the machine didn't fix.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document