GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 02:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sky Shark rods in Toronto  (Read 5899 times)
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 05:13 PM »

I thought 2PT's were .244 also. Or did you mean 2P's (they are discontinued, so maybe it doesn't matter...)

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 07:56 PM »

It is starting to make sense.

My lower spreader are two of the same pieces of 3PT connected head-to-head.  The left one (in this example) has a solid rod installed in it so that the right one will connect to it.  So, if I wanted to replace both lower spreaders I would buy two 3PT and a solid rod.

The upper leading edge and the lower leading edge are the same 2PT but there is a ferrel installed in the ULE that allows the LLE to connect to it.

Is this sounding correct?

What was throwing me for a loop was that I did not realize that a solid rod was installed in the 3PT.  I thought it was part of the spar.

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 10:43 PM »

Yep, the solid rod you're referring to is called a Ferrule, you'll use the 2.5" for the leading edges and the 4.0" for the spreaders. The longer length used on the spreaders is to allow for the width of the Center T, when replacing the spreaders you won't center the ferrule in the spreader like you would on the leading edge, you need to factor in the width of the center T so the insert point will be 2" - (1/2 the center T width).

Hints: Wrap some masking tape around the ferrule at that point before gluing & inserting it to act as a stop to avoid pushing the ferrule too far in, it never fails if you push it too far in the glue will bond instantly at the wrong point. It also allows you to insert it quickly with confidence so the glue doesn't bond before it's in far enough. The glue goes inside the spar, not on the ferrule, if you put it on the ferrule you will get a buildup of glue where the rods meet that may cause the female rod to split if you don't get it cleaned up immediately. Check that the ferrule will insert into the rod before gluing, once in a while you'll find there may be a burr or irregularity that will hinder a smooth insert. Clean the ferrule and inside of the spar with a mild solvent or rubbing alcohol to remove any release agents for a good bond, some people recommend using some 400 grit sand paper to get a better bite.

If you ever need to replace your 2PT's be sure to measure the diameter, they have been available in both .244 inside diameter & .234 I.D. currently I believe only the .234 ID is available in the 32.5" length.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:55 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
iwannafly
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2010, 06:13 AM »

Yep, the solid rod you're referring to is called a Ferrule, you'll use the 2.5" for the leading edges and the 4.0" for the spreaders. The longer length used on the spreaders is to allow for the width of the Center T, when replacing the spreaders you won't center the ferrule in the spreader like you would on the leading edge, you need to factor in the width of the center T so the insert point will be 2" - (1/2 the center T width).

Hints: Wrap some masking tape around the ferrule at that point before gluing & inserting it to act as a stop to avoid pushing the ferrule too far in, it never fails if you push it too far in the glue will bond instantly at the wrong point.

Be sure to use the 4" ferrule. I used a 3.5" ferrule to fix my MANTIS a week ago. Even though it was perfectly centered, I think the shorter ferrule did put a bit too much force in a section of the spreader it was inserted. I ended up with a 2.5-3" crack along the length of one of the LS.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2010, 11:21 AM »

I thought 2PT's were .244 also. Or did you mean 2P's (they are discontinued, so maybe it doesn't matter...)

Oops.  You are correct Gary.  Changed my original post.  Must have been in a time warp ...once upon a time they were a smaller diameter ... which is good to know in case you are replacing a 2PT on an older kite.  You will want to check the internal diameter on those before ordering a replacement

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change