GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 05:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sky Shark rods in Toronto  (Read 6033 times)
iwannafly
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 03:53 PM »

Is that right Steve,  the cost is only $5  to ship to Ontario, i am interested in getting a few spars as well?

Tempest - PM sent.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 03:54 PM by iwannafly » Logged
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 08:19 PM »

This photo just never gets old:  Smiley (Jim Byrne (my favorite kite model) practicing his submission hold on the C21 Extreme.
What happened? That looks pretty brutal!

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 09:01 PM »

Level One cut the upper 2pt (or 2p - can't remember the exact framing) down past the re-enforced section.

Add one Sleeping Beauty in thick grass and you get Two de-laminated ULE's.

Huh

The fix is to glue some extra carbon into the rod after cutting.

Roll Eyes

xuzme720

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 04:24 AM »

Hmm, I see. At first glance it looks much worse than just the ULE's! When I first saw the pic, my first thought was "did it get run over?" lol

Asfink tersez wot....

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 12:13 PM »

I asked Jim to push on the leading edges to bring the break angles closer to 90.

Always go for the dramatic with someone else's kite (In this case the most infamous of all Dreamweaver Kites, Jim's Masquerade (which he has since given to me)) You have got to love this guy:

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
xuzme720

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 08:40 PM »

Wow! Look at that standoff bending! Huh I agree, better someone elses than mine!

Asfink tersez wot....

iwannafly

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 07:16 PM »

Breaking kite sticks isn't a matter of IF, but When, so having a few spare parts on hand will keep you flying.

Well, I just flew for the first time since fixing my MANTIS.....

...and I broke it. Angry Again. Sad

Lower Spreader on the other side.

At least this time I did it flying (read that as crashing) at least thats better than steping on it. Embarrassed

Good thing I ordered 2. Wink
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 10:16 AM »

I think the US Post Office still has a special First-Class International "loophole" for mailing tubes ("rolls"), that allows longer lengths than for packages. Up to 36"L if the tube is skinny enough (3"D IIRC), then the L drops with increasing D, maybe 1"L lost for every 1/2"D gained. Regular boxes max out at 24"L, so not much good for stiff spars.

Norm NDMPC once squeezed a big Rokakku kite into a 36"Lx3"D tube for me, to save me some bucks on postage! (Thanks again.)

Norm in Toronto
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 10:59 AM »

Exactly Norm.  Seems that this disappeared for a while but is now back.

Rolls: Max. length 36". Max length and twice the diameter combined 42"

To Canada this can make shipping as cheap as $5 for a one pound package.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 01:30 PM »

the other big thing is if you ship priority mail in your own packaging materials you can get away with MUCH longer lengths than if you used the USPS supplied priority mail materials.

i just shipped Charly a box that was 65" long priority mail.....

i find that this works as well over to the UK  and S.E. Asia (not certain yet about canada)

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 03:57 PM »

I am at a loss with the SkyShark tubes.

On my Quantum Pro SUL I have 3PT as the lower spreaders.  They connect together because one end is the male and one is the female end (the male end is a drasticly reduced diameter so that the female piece slides OVER the male piece.

Additionally, I have 2PT as the lower leading edge.  Yet this one is not tapered like the 3PT.

So, if I order a 2PT will it look just like my lower leading edge?
So, if I order a 3PT will it look just like my lower spreader?  Or, will it look like my lower leading edge?

There does not seem to be any options listed when I research (i.e. on Steve's Chico site).  It appears from the listing that they are all the same spars but just different weights and different strengths.

Example: If I buy a 2PT, 3PT, 5PT and 7PT from 10 ft, will they all look the same or is the 3PT ONLY used for lower spreader and therefore has the different look?

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
iwannafly

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 04:24 PM »

On my Quantum Pro SUL I have 3PT as the lower spreaders.  They connect together because one end is the male and one is the female end (the male end is a drasticly reduced diameter so that the female piece slides OVER the male piece.

A visit to the parts store on Prism's web site shows the lower spreder as two parts.  The "male" side is just a 3PT rod with a solid carbon ferrule glued in place. The other half of your LS is just  straight 3PT rod. Ferrules and rods can be bought through Steve.  You should be able to find a complete list of all the part for your Q-Pro. I believe Steve is a prism dealer.
xuzme720

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 04:45 PM »

Are your LE rods tapered? I have a Qpro SUL but really haven't paid much attention to the framing...I might have to dig it out and check them.

Lower spreaders are joined at the center tee with a ferrule. Just about every rod join will have a ferrule. Some are internal like what you see(smaller diameter rod/tube glued inside primary rod) or external (tube with an internal diameter that matches outside diameter of primary rod). External is usually seen with solid framing. The differences in skyshark rods is mainly in the thickness and therefore stiffness. The internal diameters on the thick end are the same. Maybe that is what you are seeing. The reason for this is you only need one size ferrule for center tee joins of the rods.

Asfink tersez wot....

xuzme720

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 04:52 PM »

Additionally, I have 2PT as the lower leading edge.  Yet this one is not tapered like the 3PT.

So, if I order a 2PT will it look just like my lower leading edge?
So, if I order a 3PT will it look just like my lower spreader?  Or, will it look like my lower leading edge?

There does not seem to be any options listed when I research (i.e. on Steve's Chico site).  It appears from the listing that they are all the same spars but just different weights and different strengths.

Example: If I buy a 2PT, 3PT, 5PT and 7PT from 10 ft, will they all look the same or is the 3PT ONLY used for lower spreader and therefore has the different look?

They will LOOK the same but if you measure the outside they will be different sizes. The wall thickness varies but the inside is mostly the same as I said...
I hope this clears it up a little. I have been doing some shopping for the rods since I started building my own airframes...

Asfink tersez wot....

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 05:03 PM »

Yes Paul  from 10 feet PT's look the same (in fact from 10 ft. all tapered rods look alike).  The "T" designation stands for Tapered.  As pointed out above the difference is in the thickness of the wall which is achieved by additional warps of carbon (and other stuff) on the spar.  Thicker walls add stiffness and weight.  Current Sky Shark spars (with the exception of 8 P's and Nitro's) all have an internal diameter of .244 inches on the large end.  Ferrules for these rods are cut from .240 solid carbon.

Our listings for Sky Shark rods all have complete spec's for the spars.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 11:18 AM by Steve » Logged

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change