GWTW Forum
August 28, 2014, 08:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R-Sky Stand Off to Sail connectors  (Read 2108 times)
Pepito
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 12, 2010, 08:50 AM »

I have a Nirvana SE - great kite but I keep breaking the standoff to sail connectors.  At $1.50 a piece I'm getting a little ## Embarrassed.  Any suggestions regarding alternatives?
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 05:49 PM »

Jaco 3mm worked for me.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 06:18 PM »

Those are what I'm planning to use on the kite I'm gonna build...

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
GEB
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 08:48 PM »

After having broken six of eight of the original fittings on 2 of my Nirvana's I switched to Jaco 3mm's and have not broken any of them with hundreds of hours of flying. I had to make the holes in the trailing edge a little larger to fit them though.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 05:08 AM »

I feel your pain. I had 10 and now I'm down to 3 spares. They shear off so easily. Yesterday I was about to fly my std at lunch and the button popped out and it took 10 minutes to find it. I brought CA to work today to glue it in.

Bob D.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 01:56 PM »

My bad ... I meant Tradewinds sail grabbers which do not require expanding the holes in the sail.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 09:13 PM »

I just Today changed out the R-Sky sail standoff fittings for JACO 3mm on the NSE.

You need to enlarge the standoff holes somewhat. I used a craft punch. A leather punch would work, or a hot nail for that matter.

It's a fairly easy fix.
HiFly

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 04:47 AM »

fyi ... with Jacos as a replacement you have to change the rods also, because they are now too short to get the same length sail<->spreader
alternativly HQ makes pretty the same as the R-Skys, but using a screw

for a quick fix some just pushed in a thumbtack (may corrode if untreated!) instead of the original pin
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 04:50 AM by HiFly » Logged

Mike
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 02:03 AM »

Yes, sorry, I should have mentioned that you need to cut some raw Carbon 1cm longer when using JACOs to get the proper length.
Pepito

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 12:09 PM »

Hey Steve if I use the Trademaster sail to stand off connectors can I keep the original Nirvana SE standoffs?

Michel
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 03:06 PM »

alternativly HQ makes pretty the same as the R-Skys, but using a screw

for a quick fix some just pushed in a thumbtack (may corrode if untreated!) instead of the original pin

Much better than the HQ parts in my opinion : the Drôle d'Oiseau Stand Off to Sail connectors with plastic screws and not metal.

18 mm x 6 mm (O.D.) - screw : lenght  10 mm (incl. the head)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document