GWTW Forum
August 22, 2014, 06:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtual Freestyle 15  (Read 5352 times)
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 04:34 PM »

You really need to read the entire thread, complete with "will you please stop changing the bloody thread title", to enjoy it in context. It really was a classic confrontation of old guard versus new wave; Mike Jones of Mirage kites fame versus Andy Wardley of his own fame, only back in 1998.

I'm not sure if I miss those days or are glad to see the back of them. Worth noting that people were still talking smack about Dodd even then  Wink

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2010, 04:47 PM »

some people just like to fly i think this contest will push me to try a little harder for sure tom has proggressed way beyond were i am at right now but so what i think i'll giver a try thanx mike KO ps might have to use my phone
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 04:49 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2010, 09:17 PM »

I've been arguing for a minimum level of skill in kite comps forever.  Doesn't it sound reasonablel to get halfway decent at something before you compete?  Why not take a little pride and get your skill level up before you go on stage to show people what you can do. Why bore people with beginner level flying?

It's like those talentless people that try out for the TV talent shows. Everyone just laughs at them or thinks they're an idiot. 

Mike, you could at least screen the videos and make a special section for the beginners or reject the videos and tell people to learn to fly before wasting your time.  I'm not saying to raise the bar to french guru level, just a reasonable skill level for a freestyle comp.

Flame away.  Cheesy
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2010, 09:50 PM »

Flame away.  Cheesy

At least you know it's coming  Wink 

If nobody competes until they can win then competitions become a one person event, and since there is no joy in a first place out of one competitor even they stop competing. Competitions are about the comraderie, sharing the joy, supporting your competitors. It's not about winning or losing and it's not a waste of anybodys time to have to sit through the last place finishers performance, if that was everybodys opinion then there would also only be one competitor again. I've been field filler in many competions and I've beat the best in the world in others, I've always gone out of my way to show respect & encouragement for the efforts of those who beat me or who I beat.

I respect your views on many things John, hopefully you're just seeding a discussion on this one.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2010, 10:03 PM »

Folks have good and  bad days - I've seen master level flyers at comps that certainly weren't cutting it on that particular day.  Bad bumpy wind varying from 4-12 mph can make anyone look bad.

I do agree that a better skill level ranking system would be welcome in sport kite competitions.  Perhaps something like "trials" where you get scored and ranked early on for the season.  It would also be useful for folks who have some flying ability, but are not sure what level they should compete at.

Anyhow, I think most folks put their best foot forward for VF and I certainly respect that regardless of the final result.   I can only think offhand of a couple of cases where the entrant did little to nothing of interest.

6 kite tom
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2010, 10:54 AM »

For those not au fait with Virtual Freestyle in its 6th year the very idea is to encourage people to participate. The bar is not merely set low, it is absent entirely. If you can keep a kite in frame for 60 seconds (more or less) and don't mind exposing yourself to potential public ridicule then you're good. The main prize in each round has never been for the winner but something all entrants have an actual chance of taking away.

The really top guys put out stellar videos (a personal favourite) but it's rare that any video doesn't have something of note. Even if it is mediocre, it's over soon.  Grin

It's a good format. It works as it is. I suspect it won't be changing soon.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
John Welden

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2010, 11:28 AM »

Flame away.  Cheesy

At least you know it's coming  Wink 

If nobody competes until they can win then competitions become a one person event, and since there is no joy in a first place out of one competitor even they stop competing.

I didn't mean everyone had to be good enough to win. I'd like to see a reasonable skill level is all.  It's like some of the VF competitors take no pride in what they're putting out. Some of the videos even have crashes.

How about this, if you're a VF competitor, ask yourself if a kite enthusiast would be interested in watching you fly around for 60 seconds. You don't have to turn in a video just because you can. Why not work towards something people would enjoy watching. That doesn't mean you have to be a french master. Basic tricks done well can be great to watch. 

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2010, 12:16 PM »

So it's back to the same old issue. Are comps for spectators or for the fliers?

I think comps are more about having a good time with your peers than about impressing a spectator. In VF, all the people who enter are peers, regardless of skill. Everyone who enters has as much fun as they choose to have. If they were worrying about boring a spectator they probably wouldn't submit an entry.

In other words, it aint about what the John Weldens of the world want to see.

Allen, AKA kitehead
John Welden

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2010, 12:34 PM »

So it's back to the same old issue. Are comps for spectators or for the fliers?

I think comps are more about having a good time with your peers than about impressing a spectator. In VF, all the people who enter are peers, regardless of skill. Everyone who enters has as much fun as they choose to have. If they were worrying about boring a spectator they probably wouldn't submit an entry.

In other words, it aint about what the John Weldens of the world want to see.

I don't see why you can't have a good time with your peers while impressing spectators. It especially makes sense for VF since people can film on their own and shoot video until they get something interesting for people to watch.

In other words, you are retarded.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:50 PM by zippy8 » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2010, 12:42 PM »

and the downward spiral of a good thread has started...........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2010, 01:06 PM »

Hold your thoughts on whether you enter or not until we get done cookin' up some "special incentives" for the participants.
 Grin

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2010, 08:53 PM »

... the very idea is to encourage people to participate. The bar is not merely set low, it is absent entirely ...

The main prize in each round has never been for the winner but something all entrants have an actual chance of taking away ...

It's a good format. It works as it is. I suspect it won't be changing soon.

Mike.

It's a great format, acclaim for the winner, prizes just for entering and a good time for all. I'd hope you get so many entries that people get bored watching them all. Should I ever decide to participate I'll start it off with a crash or something boring like flying precision so those folks can X-Out and not waste their time.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 08:59 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
John Welden

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2010, 09:31 PM »

Just giving you guys a hard time.
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2010, 12:12 AM »

I thought that VF was all about participation..........

...I'm certainly not comp standard was just going to enter for fun and to seek feedback from others....

maybe I should give it a miss.. Sad

cheers

steve
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2010, 12:22 AM »

I always enjoy seeing the entries, watch them all, some twice. Never seen a boring or bad video yet. Now that I've gathered up enough skill to keep the kite in the frame for 60 seconds, I think I might enter to make the rest of entries look that much better !  Cheesy

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document