GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 05:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Loose weight in Sea Devil L ( main spar) spine  (Read 1047 times)
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« on: April 13, 2010, 11:44 AM »

I noticed that there seems to be a loose weight inside the main spar of my SDL  Sad . Is this normal , or did it get unstuck?  Lips sealed
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 05:26 PM by tempest » Logged
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 11:51 AM »

Define "main" please  Embarrassed

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 11:56 AM »

Is this in the spine?

On the fearless - there is a weight both inside and outside the base of the spine.  The inside is for permanent weight, the outside for adjustments on the field if you wish.  I would imagine that the SD might be the same. 

The weight is a chunk of metal that is prevented from moving by some sort of blockage inside the spine (the top of the metail sits at the edge of the spine.  Not sure what the blockage material is, but is sounds like yours has moved.

-Tom

6 kite tom
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 12:43 PM »

Too many big hits to the ground and the weight got pushed toward the nose.  Cheesy Grin Wink
It happens to my flying pal Fearless Standard too. The internal tail weight pushed at least 1cm toward the nose. Don't worry. It is very easy to fix.

If you have a correct length/size small spring, you can insert it between the blocker and the internal weight. Then you have a 'suspension' tail weight'. This might be the next break through stunt kite design !!!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin Tongue Tongue Tongue Wink Wink Wink
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 05:02 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 05:37 PM »

Yes, inside the spine. Sad    Good one Cids  Cheesy  Cheesy  Wink  Wink  suspension tail weight !!!!!!!!  Grin  I guess whatever 's inside the spine has been dislodged .I will take out the spine and repair.      Thanks guys.
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 05:50 PM »

If you have a correct length/size small spring, you can insert it between the blocker and the internal weight. Then you have a 'suspension' tail weight'. This might be the next break through stunt kite design !!!!
TWS, or Trick Weight System, is~was used by Level One on some of their kites. A weight inside the spine is tethered and so can move up and down when the kite is in certain positions (ie; in a Backflip the weight moves towards the nose.... a bit).

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
cids

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 06:54 AM »

If you have a correct length/size small spring, you can insert it between the blocker and the internal weight. Then you have a 'suspension' tail weight'. This might be the next break through stunt kite design !!!!             

The internal weight in my innovative/break through design does'nt move up/down inside the spine. Clearly a difference concept in design when compare to the TWS. May be I should apply for a 'Patent'.  Cheesy  Cheesy Cheesy

Skywatch 1 wind meter
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 07:20 AM »

I had a similar issue in my first Sea Devil. 

The problem is when you try to get information about where the weight should actually sit.  See what Lam tells you....

I replaced my spine without ever realizing there was a weight in it.  It wasn't until I got my second SD that I noticed the difference.   Roll Eyes

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
cids

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 08:14 AM »

I replaced my spine without ever realizing there was a weight in it.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document