GWTW Forum
August 27, 2014, 08:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Houston we've had a problem" 40 years later.  (Read 1950 times)
Charly
Trade Count: (+18)

« on: April 13, 2010, 06:02 PM »

It was 40 years ago tonight that Apollo 13 uttered those words.  Where were you at the time?  I was a junior in high school and glued to the TV watching the news when Apollo 13 made that announcement.

Charly

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
iwannafly
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 06:12 PM »

I was a three month old fetus. I just missed out on some really heroic and historic events. Sad 

If I was only a few years older.
Jeepster

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 06:50 PM »

In the military ... Rantoul, Illinois ... part way through 9 months of aircraft training class!  Married, finished college and in the military ... all within the last 6 months.  No money ... no knowledge about the next assignment (future) ... and happy as an idiot!!! 
Charly

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 07:01 PM »

In the military ... Rantoul, Illinois ... part way through 9 months of aircraft training class!  Married, finished college and in the military ... all within the last 6 months.  No money ... no knowledge about the next assignment (future) ... and happy as an idiot!!! 

Sounds like a "Lifer" or "OCS" candidate to me... Cool

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 08:02 PM »

I was only 6 months old but I remember it like yesterday...

Ok, I don't remember it but I have seen the archive footage and the movie, but I know that's not the same as being there...

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Charly

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 09:28 PM »

And the movie got the quote WRONG... Huh  In the movie Tom Hanks says "Houston we have a problem", when it fact what was actually said at the time the real event occurred is "Houston we've had a problem".

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 11:16 PM »

Can't say I was glued to the TV when it happened, there was no such thing as NASA TV with 24 hour live broadcasts of missions then. But when the news broke and the networks went to it I was there. I was a space junkie from the get go and watched every launch until well into the Shuttle age.

I still am, IMO NASA is probably the best use of my tax dollars, we've gotten more return in technology, new products, new industies ,advanced medical care and jobs from the investment in technology through NASA then any other government program.

PLUS we've been taken on a great ride at the same time, the things we've seen and learned. Not too many years ago many people lived their life within a 50 mile radius, I've been to the Moon. Mars, Saturn, Jupiter, Neptune and beyond.

Brave men too, to climb on top of a potential bomb and holler "Light the fuse!" hats off to them, and those who worked to make it possible.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 04:15 AM »

And the movie got the quote WRONG... Huh  In the movie Tom Hanks says "Houston we have a problem", when it fact what was actually said at the time the real event occurred is "Houston we've had a problem".
Yes, I did know that. And Neil's quote is also flubbed all the time...does anyone know the real one? I'd bet a dollar Charly does!

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Charly

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 04:38 AM »

What Neil actually said was "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind", but the "A" was left out because of poor audio quality at the time.  He has always been quoted as saying "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" instead.

Charly

Jeepster

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 07:46 AM »

Sounds like a "Lifer" or "OCS" candidate to me... Cool

I like to change things and the military runs on consistency ... did my four and got out.  ROTC instead ... didn't have much money and they helped fund the last two years in school.

Even though the timing (70-74) sucked and I decided not to make a career out of the military, it was a great experience.  Military people are great folks!  Shake their hand and tell them thanks the next time you meet one ... they're part of the reason we can goof off and fly kites.

Cheers,
Tom
dagnabbit
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 09:32 AM »

What Neil actually said was "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind", but the "A" was left out because of poor audio quality at the time.  He has always been quoted as saying "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" instead.

Charly

According to Armstrong, he dropped the "a' when he said the famous quote- from Wikipedia:

Armstrong had decided on this statement following a train of thought that he had had after launch and during the hours after landing.[40] Speaking the line, he accidentally dropped the "a", from his remark, rendering the phrase a contradiction (as man in such use is synonymous with mankind).[39] Armstrong later said he "would hope that history would grant me leeway for dropping the syllable and understand that it was certainly intended, even if it was not said although it might actually have been." It has since been claimed that acoustic analysis of the recording reveals the presence of the missing "a".[39][41] A digital audio analysis conducted by Peter Shann Ford, an Australia-based computer programmer, claims that Armstrong did, in fact, say "a man", but the "a" was inaudible due to the limitations of communications technology of the time.[39][42][43][44] Ford and James R. Hansen, Armstrong's authorized biographer, presented these findings to Armstrong and NASA representatives, who conducted their own analysis.[45] The article by Ford, however, is published on Ford's own web site rather than in a peer-reviewed scientific journal, and linguists David Beaver and Mark Liberman at Language Log were skeptical of Ford's claims.[46][47][48][49][50][51] Armstrong has expressed his preference that written quotations include the "a" in parentheses.[52]

The two things that really bug me are unfinished lists....
Charly

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 02:28 PM »

Read Snopes.com  on this matter http://www.snopes.com/quotes/onesmall.asp

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document