GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 04:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is There A Close Second To The Revolution Kites?  (Read 21473 times)
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« on: April 16, 2010, 09:53 AM »

There are a number of brands in the different price ranges to compete for the dual kite market.  I do not see a clear cut winner here.  Each has their own set of loyal followers.

The Revolution kites seem to alone in the race.  I realize the kite design is very good but why do the Revs seem to be the kite of choice with no close competition?
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 10:14 AM »

personal personal personal...

i feel that Decas are better than Revs...but that is just my two cents.........

Rev has done very well of producing them....a quality product that is pretty easily accesable...easy to fly..easy to assemble....and you see a LOT of them....that all helps....

i would like to try New Tech's new quad...think it looks very cool....

have flown spirits....not bad....liked them....

the Mosquito from HQ looks cool too....

And of course do not forget the Skydancer....another long time favorite of many flyers...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 10:33 AM »

I realize the kite design is very good but why do the Revs seem to be the kite of choice with no close competition?

There's a reason for this but let's not go into that here.  Wink

In my experience, quadline flyers = Rev. flyers with no more than a few dissenting voices. There are alternatives but they seem to be shunned as not being The One True Path.

Flame

Kamikaze Butterfly

Knockout

Variety exists, it's just that it doesn't seem to be that welcome.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 10:39 AM »

and lets not forget the Airbow!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 10:52 AM »

I think the main reason is that there really isn't anything out there that is substantially "better" than the Revolution.  Not to say that there aren't some great quad line kites on the market - but can they do things better than what the Rev can or have more versatility?  Usually not - maybe close but that's about it.

If there was a kite to be produced that had better control, better precision, easier to set up, easier to store, more interchangeable by the end user, better quality, made in the USA, and at a cost that was the same or less than the Rev then you would have some stiff competition to the Rev.  Until then, Rev's seem to be at the top of the list for most pilots.

This opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it. Smiley

ae

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 10:55 AM »

I personaly like the old QuadraFlex better then a Rev. Sadly they where only produced for a handfull of units ages ago.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 11:37 AM »

As far as my limited skill sets have experienced....

The Volksquad holds an inverted hover better than a Rev and the shape is more interesting.

In all other flight modes, the Rev is better.

Inverted hover:

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 12:42 PM »

Fdeli
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 01:06 PM »

I like the Spirit for a beginner kite, especially for us old dual line dogs, Rev's don't respond well push/pull until you understand them and the when & why to do so. The Spirit can be flown by holding the handles vertical and using a push/pull, not well but it does fly, so you get a familiar reaction on the kite when you revert to dual movements in a lapse moment. It is a pain to assemble though.

When the Revolution came out they had covered all the bases, I was awed by the included video, figure 8 winder etc. It was the most thought out product introduction I've ever been exposed to.

I've flown other designs besides the Spirit that I also liked better then the Rev for my skill level and expectations. But most infringed on Revolutions patents.

Revolution did a great job with the kite, a great job saturating the market and getting exposure and a great job of enforcing their patents (maybe a bit overzealous (a lot?)) But they earned their market place and continue to actively promote it and kiting in general.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 01:18 PM »

But most infringed on Revolutions patents.

Do most patents have a limited life?  If so I would be curious to see how long the patent is good for.  Competition brings innovation.

indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 02:45 PM »

There are alternatives but they seem to be shunned as not being The One True Path.

I have always loved the lines of the DropKick... not as precise as the Rev but....

ATB,
Sam
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 04:16 PM by indigo_wolf » Logged
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 03:40 PM »

There's a reason for this but let's not go into that here.  Wink

In my experience, quadline flyers = Rev. flyers with no more than a few dissenting voices. There are alternatives but they seem to be shunned as not being The One True Path.
Variety exists, it's just that it doesn't seem to be that welcome.

Mike.

Doesn't seem to be too much different amongst dual-liner ranks either.................just seems to be more flers on the 'light side'  Shocked

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 03:55 PM »

Doesn't seem to be too much different amongst dual-liner ranks either.................
Oh yes there is. I don't think I've ever heard of a quadline team that doesn't fly "Revs" (note the inverted commas) but the teams at the WSKC aren't showing the same uniformity.

If the call went out for "the best dualline kite" there could be many right answers. I reckon the answer from the quadline community would merely be a discussion of which Rev was better than another.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Moe
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 04:35 PM »

Well there's these great kites available on eBay.  Not sure why you don't see them discussed here.  Maybe it's because the guy doesn't sponsor the board... Wink

The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in
Engines stop running, the wheat is growing thin
A nuclear error, but I have no fear
'Cause London is drowning, and I live by the river
Sherman Myers

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 05:16 PM »

Revs are great to fly, and as others have said not much does it all as well as a Rev. However, there is one kite that I believe fly every bid as well, if not better, than the Rev -- Joel Scholz's Beautiful Evil!

Love that kite. 

Sherman Myers
Westfield, NJ
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum