GWTW Forum
August 21, 2014, 01:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is There A Close Second To The Revolution Kites?  (Read 19034 times)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 06:04 PM »

another big thing during the early 90's was the east coast/west cost split.
revolution = west coast
guildworks = east coast

also do not leave out TC Ultras!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Jim Foster
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 06:43 PM »

I have flown several other quads.

I wouldn't even think of trying to get in line in a team fly with any of them.   Not one.

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 09:41 PM »

What about the pig?!

Flying Pig - A quad revolution-like kite

I heard Rev has parts made in Mexico and shipped for final assem. in US. True/False?
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 09:46 PM »

I remember the TC Ultra people, back in the day, making the argument that other designs were pretty much excluded, or at least handicapped, by the Rev-bias of the compulsory figures.  

Doesn't seem to be too much different amongst dual-liner ranks either.................
Oh yes there is. I don't think I've ever heard of a quadline team that doesn't fly "Revs" (note the inverted commas) but the teams at the WSKC aren't showing the same uniformity.

If the call went out for "the best dualline kite" there could be many right answers. I reckon the answer from the quadline community would merely be a discussion of which Rev was better than another.

Mike.

another big thing during the early 90's was the east coast/west cost split.
revolution = west coast
guildworks = east coast

also do not leave out TC Ultras!!!!

tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 09:56 PM »

Call me crazy, but I always thought that a big round model might be fun.  I guess it would need a big arrow on it so that you could tell what end is up, but I would think that hovering would be a snap!  Smiley

Or perhaps Chilese's trash-bag rectangular (or was it square?) quadline.  Anyone still got the video link?

Anyhow, the unique key to the Rev design seems to be the "flex" in the design - for example, you can have one side pulled forward while having the other side pushed back. In effect, you have many vectors of control that other 4-line kites just don't offer.

6 kite tom
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 01:30 AM »

I always liked this one...

A Mouse Pointer in the real World

tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 01:43 AM »

Although not even close to a rev, I really like my Parastunter quad foil. It's 1.4 meters of fun. Flies like a duelly, unbreakable, tricks sorta like a rev but with the ability to collapse the sail at will, which the rev can't do unless it does a figure 9 Smiley
monkey

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2010, 09:49 AM »

One difference that nobody has seemed to pick up on in this thread is pretty straight forward.

Almost without exception, the other quads are all pretty much symmetrical in their flight. Flying them forwards and backwards is really much the same thing. They are equally adept in either direction. Revs are very different beasts in this way, forward flight and reverse flight are don't behave in the same manner at all.

The point with respect to the compulsory figures is dead on tho, they are weighted towards Revs for the most part though, "most" quads can work their way through these without any issue, but, ya, they'd be a bit of a handful to pull off on a TC Ultra.

Personally, I enjoy flying any of the quads out there, but, obviously I have a huge preference towards revs...  :-)

david hathaway
www.iquad.ca
kiten00b
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 09:58 AM »

Rev is the Microsoft of the kite world
it's not necessarily the best made or the prettiest, but it's what most people use
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2010, 10:35 AM »

Almost without exception, the other quads are all pretty much symmetrical in their flight.
Apart from the Flame.

And the Kamikaze Butterfly.

And the.... etc. etc.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
rxburner
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2010, 04:09 PM »

there is a close second to a Rev.......
Your Second Rev....
Rx
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2010, 10:33 PM »

The point with respect to the compulsory figures is dead on tho, they are weighted towards Revs for the most part though, "most" quads can work their way through these without any issue, but, ya, they'd be a bit of a handful to pull off on a TC Ultra.
A bit like dual line compulsories being weighted toward deltas, being overly difficult or impossible on flexifoils or diamonds. Smiley

I'm just saying.

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2010, 10:38 PM »

I was just mentioning.. Course, then you have a guy like Dennis Smith who did extremely well flying the TC's.
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2010, 11:45 PM »

Call me crazy, but I always thought that a big round model might be fun.  I guess it would need a big arrow on it so that you could tell what end is up, but I would think that hovering would be a snap!  Smiley
Sedgwick did this with his YFO (original - and better version of the UFO)...

He has little colored arrow shapes so he can keep track of orientation.

Not much for fine control, but it's a hell of a lot of fun to watch him work with them. Smiley

I can't seem to find a vid at the moment, sorry.

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2010, 10:35 AM »

A bit like dual line compulsories being weighted toward deltas, being overly difficult or impossible on flexifoils or diamonds. Smiley

I'm just saying.
Anyone can make a delta. Flexifoil made several. Even Trlby made them.

Only one company can make a Rev. OK, several companies make "Revs" but.... only one should.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document