GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 06:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is There A Close Second To The Revolution Kites?  (Read 20282 times)
david barnby
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2013, 12:51 AM »

are thanks - but that was/is a german kite and is not shoreline

called the "vision"

there was a crazy quad line kite that we tried to tame at shoreline - it looked like a propeller. marvelous thing once we got it to stop spinning
skb
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2013, 06:20 AM »

I've seen a few propeller shaped Quadline kites, but a quick search only found this one by Hans Frydendall (.pdf scan of Spring '93 KiteLines magazine, hosted by KiteLife.com)

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
kiteslinger
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2013, 08:46 AM »

Brassington ..Angel quad

kiteslinger

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2013, 08:47 AM »

decas

kiteslinger

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2013, 08:49 AM »

Aladino sword

joew
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2013, 05:19 AM »

Meric Munday's Symphony.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2013, 08:05 AM »

Sir Barnby:

Shoreline photo, my bad on the Vision (marked Sub-Vision on data)

Three more start here (photos rearranged so that all 6 are in order):
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 08:12 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
david barnby
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2013, 05:32 PM »

that's it - thanks big brother

look at some of those flyers!!!  some great friends there

and look at Danw filling up his lens with wonder

i think that was a sub vision btw - i think i am wrong  the sub has the horseshoe tendancy and the non sub more straight. i will get them out over the weekend (as i promise myself so often)  Undecided
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2013, 05:33 PM »

subvision is also smaller isn't?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
HiFly

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2013, 06:14 AM »

the subvision had another design

http://kitec.net/ksf/kites/subvision.htm
vs.

http://kitec.net/ksf/kites/vision.htm

Mike
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2013, 04:47 AM »

No close second to a Rev?

Dave Ashworth is a home builder (highly recognized on the east coast) and most famous for his incredible low wind quads.  The video is his 3rd generation indoor.
Wildwood 2010 Indoor Dave Ashworth

He also had a "london bridge" kite at least a decade before it was released by t.Benson as the Airbow.  Dave's version is designed for different wind conditions to be sure!  I've known him for probably 15 years and every kite he has ever flown is personally crafted by him.  His rev knock-offs are built on a 32.5 inch stick, so nothing is an exact copy (and nothing available "stock" ever fits him!)

He's made active-vents, tried reinforcing battens, altered positioning of vertical spars, removable covers for vents, of course his handles are home-built too.  The coolest ones are indoor with infinitely adjustable leaders (thru a friction fitting sunk into the wooden handle).

Dave is our kite-club's workshop coordinator:.... wood templates, full parts kits, the works!

I should also mention the "Kitesquid" (Harold Ames) has pushed the home-built quad-line envelope himself on many occasions.  Two of his best accomplishments are the Ryv 1.6 (a no wind kite design that still uses the SLE leading edge tubes!) and the 40 inch leading edge baby Ryv stacks.

Nothing can be taken away from my favorite kite company either.  Revolution has always been committed to the best product developments, customer service and financial support for our activities.  Others may want to offer a cheaper product, similar to their designs.  I say, why not "outwork Rev with your contributions" if you want a slice of their pie.

Take any quad-kite design you like and improve it for the next two decades.  I'll try one of those as well, but my guess is that a well tuned Rev can do more cool stuff, easier, maybe even cheaper!
sunsetflyers
Trade Count: (+78)

« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2013, 09:26 AM »

i actually have a vision quad i would be willing to sell great kite well made not a rev though i have a few revs also i could part with not listed cause doesnt matter if i sell or not i always sell kites in great condition just check my profile

Steve & Sherri
Hadge

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2013, 02:40 PM »

Have any of you guys come across the Spiderkites Smithi ?  it's a 4 line foil kite but it has special one way 'valves' in the cells so that it can be flown - to a certain extent - like a Rev. backwards, forwards, propeller turns dive stops etc. Perhaps not a 'close second' to a Rev, but an interesting alternative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvBWWLXAvco

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 02:55 PM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
alien

« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2013, 06:02 AM »

Hot Kites,
what possesses these creators?
Brilliant stuff................... Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change