GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 11:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low wind kite for a beginner?  (Read 2044 times)
mahgnillig
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 16, 2010, 08:47 PM »

Hi all Smiley

I read the other thread about low/no wind kites but I am looking for something slightly different from the other poster and didn't want to clutter up their thread by asking questions.

I would like to get a kite that will work on those days when there is little to no wind.  I am quite new to flying kites, so I would like something that is newbie friendly and will help me learn when it's not windy enough for me to fly my other kites.  Being fairly new, I'm not looking to spend a fortune... $100 or less preferably.  Also, I'm probably going to crash it a lot, so I'd prefer something that is easy to fix when I break it!

Any suggestions appreciated  Grin
DaveH
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 08:58 PM »

Prism 4D is a good bet. Flies in zero wind and won't break if the wind gusts to 10 and beyond.    It can handle many tricks but is also great at simply flying.
Best part is its available from Steve, our host.  Check it out.  I got one and love it!  Smiley
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 09:15 PM »

Yep the Prism 4D, there have been a couple new releases in this range and IMO the 4D is the best, for a beginner it is very easy to fly. It's not a trick monster but I doubt you're there yet, it'll do the tricks you'll be working on to start and it's a lot of fun to just fly around in just a hint of a breeze and like Dave said above, with very little work it'll fly in 0 mph. Order the set of the 20 foot lines with it that Steve is offering for a different aspect on flying too, the case already has a spot to store them. That puts it $100 with two line sets.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 09:20 PM »

4d fun fun fun a little quick when windy but nice in 1-2

have fun kurt
rxburner
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 04:13 PM »

If you can find one...... go for the Prism Flashlight. Or if you can't a New Tech Desire....
Rx
sunsetflyers
Trade Count: (+70)

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 04:40 PM »

i have a tango from hq if your interested new

Steve & Sherri
mahgnillig

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 08:18 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions Smiley  I picked up a 4D at my local kite shop today.
Boogie

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 04:54 AM »

This thread also convinced me to research and pick up a 4D, Steve sent me the tracking info last night.   Grin
I was getting discouraged because my Quantum just will not fly in anything under 8mph...well, it will fly in maybe 5mph minimum, but it just floats and I find myself running backwards to get anything done.   Angry 
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Related to moral relativism, it states that ethics become subjective only when approaching the speed of light. That is, it's ok to be self-serving, steal and murder as long as you're going really, really fast. (Note: This is why rap sounds better on the highway at 90mph)
DaveH
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 07:24 AM »

Good call Wink
I was out flying Sunday with a couple of guys. Very little wind. One guy had a 4D and the other, a beginner, a quantum.  Two of us were happily tricking our 4Ds while the Quantum guy could only stand there.
And a bit more... The wind, what ther was of it,  was really swirly and changing directions every couple of minutes.  The 4D is so light it has a lot of hang time. You can keep it in the air during these errant puffs and move with the wind as it changes direction.  Kind of seems to wait out the goofy wind a bit.  Of course when you get a puff of wind on the back side of the sail you'll see how fast a feather can drop.  But compared to a lot of other kites, the 4D even made these conditions fun.
Burke
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 12:21 PM »

The 4D is a great choice.  The Desire is a lousy choice for a beginner.  It is way too fragile.  I know.

Good Winds and God's Blessings,
Burke
Boogie

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 12:49 PM »

Yeah, I had looked into the Desire but had heard about how fragile it was.  I was pretty impressed by the quality (for a mass produced item) of my Quantum, and had heard great things about the 4D, so I decided to go with it.  It'll make a great kite to keep in my car to get some quick flying in before or after work, I'm pretty excited about it.   

I hear you about the crosswinds and direction changes.  We have a big flat of land on our farm, which in theory it looks perfect...but with the wind coming over the ridgetops, it's horrendous.  I about went mad one day trying to fly my Quantum there.  Wind blowing every which way but couldn't keep the damn thing in the air to save my life. 

Related to moral relativism, it states that ethics become subjective only when approaching the speed of light. That is, it's ok to be self-serving, steal and murder as long as you're going really, really fast. (Note: This is why rap sounds better on the highway at 90mph)
Quantum_Leap

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 10:47 AM »

I was going to ask this same question. 4D seems like a good fit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document