GWTW Forum
September 20, 2014, 07:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's a bird, it's a plane ...  (Read 6219 times)
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« on: April 17, 2010, 10:54 AM »

... it's an RC kite (?)

Radio Controlled Kite

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Bodega Bay Flyer
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 09:29 PM »

Wow! A most enjoyable video. My second favorite next to the quad line piggy.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 05:48 PM »

So it's a plane? Right?
Not controlled by strings and it's powered.
It's not apparent, by going to the website, what the servos move as far as control surfaces, but it sure looks like a lot of fun...................

Takes me back to my RC glider days Smiley for sure

thanks,
Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
DaveH
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 06:05 PM »

If you look carefully at the closeup, you can see the servos control the thrust line of the prop.  There are two pushrods that I could see, one on either side of the prop. I assume they control yaw and pitch.  Thrust vectoring  ( me thinks)is responsible for control.
Kantaxel

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 07:01 PM »

What about the two propped model?  I'm assuming since only two servos............you are only running two channels.........maybe I just don't have my head wrapped around thrust vectoring...........probably....

Jim

DaveH
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 07:07 PM »

Sorry, Jim. I only saw the beginning of the vid and couldn't see the setup that well.    What I saw ( I think) was a single prop hooked to two pushrods which could easily handle the functions of pitch and yaw.  Thrust vectoring is a current buzz word in the world of RC aircraft performing aerobatics below stall speed which we call 3D flying.  The concept seemed to fit, however, since this RC kite had its pushrods attached to the thrust line.  I have lots (too much  Huh) experience with the current RC stuff, but admittedly didn't look all that close at the vid.   If I'm mistaken I appologize.
Kantaxel

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 07:17 PM »

No apology needed......I went to the website and saw the easy cruiser which right now is unavailable.......It has two props and the mechanics of two servos contolling two props is what has me confused.  (confusion, btw, is my middle name..........I didn't look all that close on the vid with the model that was shown as far as thrust vectoring would go so I'm assuming that is possible....and even controlling two props is possible as long as the pushrods were stacked  Embarrassed Undecided  I think Roll Eyes

Hoping Steve or Ted will jump in here and enlighten me Wink

Uh-oh ...............  got too many toys that involve sails.....I better stop while I'm ahead   Sad

zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 07:27 PM »

I think what I'd do is have an accomplice put one up on a line, let it settle in "normal" kite flight and then..... freak people out from a position of hiding.  Grin

Lots like a neat, thrust vectored toy.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 08:05 PM »

I think what I'd do is have an accomplice put one up on a line, let it settle in "normal" kite flight and then..... freak people out from a position of hiding.  Grin

that a brilliantly evil idea, I like it!

Sine Metu!
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 09:05 PM »

that a brilliantly evil idea, I like it!

A scene from my offices:-

at least in my imagination.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 09:09 PM »

At least 3 channels, there is a throttle too. Directional control is purely by thrust vectoring and works well. Watched Ted fly it briefly Saturday but the flight got cut short when the motor popped off in a hard landing & none of us had the proper allen wrench on board to put it back in so he had to call it a day. Easy fix, nothing damaged and it may even be a safety feature to release the shock rather then having a hard mount. Get yourself the proper allen wrench to keep with you if you get one.

Sort of cool & drew a lot of comments from the folks around the park. Having been away from any electric motor powered hobbies for years I am amazed at the small size and power output these things have now. The motor is about the size of a stack of 3 quarters but much lighter and will pull that thing straight up for a pretty decent distance.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Kantaxel

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 10:05 PM »

Mike's right!
I got an opportunity here at work to delve further into the website....yep pretty cool...............two thrust control servos and an infinitely adjustable throttle..........Looks like I'm hooked!!

(of course all you guys were right-confusion is epidemic in people my age) Grin

thanks,
Jim
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 01:51 AM by Kantaxel » Logged

stringfly
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 12:31 PM »

The Cannard flys great. Much better I think than the Pyramid Racer. The Racer often just had a mind of its own. Solid control was about 50% of the time. It's glide was poor to say the least. I traded it for the Cannard and it does fly very nice. Have flown it in light wind and it did fine. I would not fly it though in anything over about 8mph. You could, but the fun factor would go way down. Very pleased with the Cannard. Planning to put the vectored power unit on some other kites I have. Like Carsten's airplane kite.

Stringfly  <>+++++

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 12:46 PM by stringfly » Logged
stringfly
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 12:35 PM »

For more info see my post :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1167400
gliderdude

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 03:47 PM »

Here's the straight scoop from the guy flying the Pyramid Racer in the video!

Don't start with the pyramid racer, unless you have some RC flying experience. It's aerobatic, so it WON"T be as stable as the Canard (I plan to add the Canard next). The Canard is 100" long. That's a long moment arm. The Pyramid Racer is only 54" long... it'll loop (it's almost a back-flip) practically in it's own length. But uncontrollable 50% of the time... I think not. The Racer does everything I want it to, including flying at 24" of altitude all over the park yesterday morning (there was no one else on the park at 8 AM). It loops, and I mean BIG loops if you know what you're doing. Wait til you figure out how to roll it (I've managed to do it twice so far).

My only objection is that the charger only charges in 20 minutes the first time. After that, it's about an hour... off the wall or off the car battery. Best to have 1 or 2 extra batteries AND the charger.

In my opinion Premier RC is a great value... serious engineering and excellent quality.

The bottom line for me? What a BLAST! I'd be out flying it right now if it weren't so windy today.

"If flying were the language of men, soaring would be it's poetry."
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document