GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 03:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XL Aerobe (Wala)  (Read 6923 times)
stringfly
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: April 18, 2010, 07:50 AM »

Really enjoyed how the Aerobe's fly so thought I would blow one up to 10 ft and see how it does. (Flying wings is supposed to have a XL out sometime this year. )
  It does fly very nice.  Not as manuverable as a Manta or Wala I'm sure but it will climb and fly in just about nothing.  Not the nicest colors but the only ripstop I had big enough and did not want to piece a bunch of pieces together to save weight.   Specs:  3/4 nylon, .1570 rods for spine and cross spreaders.  Leading edge .1250  (may change to .1570's). Span is 9'8", spine is 6'11"inches.  AUW is 7.4 ounces. 
Some pictures. 

Stringfly <>+++++

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 07:29 PM by stringfly » Logged
stringfly

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 08:00 AM »

Some flying shots.

Stringfly <>++++++

[attachment deleted by admin]
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 03:58 PM »

pretty cool...

"Do what you like"
kitepilot
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 08:22 PM »

Very impressive build!  Twice the size?  Original Beetle nose?  Does the larger size create better stability vs. flying tail?
Verrrrrrrrrrry Interesting!   Thanks for sharing.      kitepilot
stringfly

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 07:23 AM »

Just about double size less some trailing edge hemming.  Yes a Beetle nose.   Extremely stable,  just rock steady in flight. 

Stringfly <>+++++
Boogie

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 03:37 PM »

I would like to hear more about the XL version of the Wala...what all have you heard?  Size, release date, all those juicy details. 

I was about to order a Wala, but if they're coming out with a larger version this year, I may hold off and just get a Prism 4D for now that I had been eyeballing.   Cool

Also, what are the specs on the Wala out now?  I've seen one in person, but it was in the air and I couldn't really get a close look at it.  Specifically, what's the wingspan and does it come with a bag?  Sorry to sort of hijack your thread.   Lips sealed

Related to moral relativism, it states that ethics become subjective only when approaching the speed of light. That is, it's ok to be self-serving, steal and murder as long as you're going really, really fast. (Note: This is why rap sounds better on the highway at 90mph)
stringfly

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 06:50 PM »

A video of the XL Wala from the designer Albert Chin.

Wala(aerobe) XL - Flying Wings Kites

Albert emailed me about the XL Wala and thought I was showing a real one in this thread.  He understands now I just made a big version.  His in the video is I believe 96" x 65".  Looks great and a lot tighter sail and looks a lot more effeicent than mine.  My big version looks like it flys more like a Manta, color scheme kinda stolen...... (which I have one coming).  I probably need larger rods to take some of the flex out.  I was going for super light.
The current Wala (formerly Aerobe) is 61" x 41" with double 45ft tail. 3mm carbon frame, range 0 to 20mph. Comes with nice 90lb x 160' dacron line w/winder. It flies supurb and highly recommended.  Get one now !!!  I have all four and they are just great.  Yes, it comes in a very nice case.  Top notch Flying Wings quality.  I have a Soul and Sliver Fox also.  Not sure of release date but will try to find out.  I want one too! 

Stringfly <>++++++
Boogie

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 06:01 AM »

Cool, sounds pretty promising.  Found 2 more videos of the XL on youtube this morning.  Hopefully some details will come out soon on the XL's.  I was going to order a "regular" Wala, but if the XL's will be out soon, I will hold off for one of those.

EDIT:  After posting this, I did a quick search and found out a quote on KiteKaki.com
s forum.    "Wala XL is not in production till mid-April. They should be released into the market by mid-late May 2010."  http://www.kitekaki.com/topic/62-indoor-kite-flying/

Guess I'll go ahead and order an Aerobe/Wala, then get the XL later on.

Wala XL

New Aerobe (Wala XL)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 06:17 AM by Boogie » Logged

Related to moral relativism, it states that ethics become subjective only when approaching the speed of light. That is, it's ok to be self-serving, steal and murder as long as you're going really, really fast. (Note: This is why rap sounds better on the highway at 90mph)
stringfly

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 06:20 AM »

Yes, that is what I have heard from Kaliedokites and they asked Flyingwings.  So probably early June I hope.  That will work, my winds die about mid June.  Will just play with my Manta until then.

Stringfly <>+++++
Boogie

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 06:42 AM »

I'm kind of curious what pricepoint they'll be aiming for, I'm *hoping* around the $100 or less mark, but given the size of this kite I would think that's a bit optimistic.  Who knows though.  Either way, I got a 4D on the way soon, so that'll tide me over until the Big Wala's (as I like to call them) come out.  I like the regular Aerobe/Wala but I'd rather have the bigger one, although if I have to wait much longer past June or so to get ahold of one, I'll just get the regular one for the time being.  What's that saying they got here...one can never have too many kites?   Undecided  Anybody know why they changed the name of them?

thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 06:45 AM »

i would be guessing the price to be about 130-175$ or so...hopefully not much than that.....

name change?
i would guess that was due to a long standing flying ring company...but i am not certain....that is my guess...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 08:22 AM »

Word I got from Flying Wings is that the Wala XL is still being "tweaked" and we can expect them sometime this summer.

FYI the old name was Aerobe: {air-ohb} An organism, such as a bacterium, requiring oxygen to live. Also called  aerobium.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Boogie

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 08:38 AM »

I remember those, I used to have one back in the day.  It's probably still around my parents house somewhere.  
Anyhow, up to $150 and I'd probably still buy it (albeit reluctant)...much more than that and I would just step up to a Manta.  The bigger the better!    

xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 05:23 PM »

Word I got from Flying Wings is that the Wala XL is still being "tweaked" and we can expect them sometime this summer.

FYI the old name was Aerobe: {air-ohb} An organism, such as a bacterium, requiring oxygen to live. Also called  aerobium.
I have been pronouncing it with a long e on the end this whole time! That might be what prompted the change as said that way it IS like the ring....

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Boogie

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 05:02 AM »

Yeah, I was pronouncing it Air-oh-bee, lol.  Oh well, I like Wala better than Aerobe (air-ohb) anyways. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change