GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 06:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windless in Downtown Raleigh  (Read 1876 times)
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: April 18, 2010, 08:40 PM »

Playing around with the Focus Echo & Focus Skate in downtown Raleigh:

Ultralight Focus Kites
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 11:02 PM »

Sweet, thanks. I wouldn't have thought of Red & Purple but that Echo looks great in your scheme, think I'll be playing around with that combo someday, nice job.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
RobB

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 12:37 AM »

Hey Jared...
That was really cool. Did I see an interested security guard in that building ? Did they come out and talk with you ? The Skate looks like it could use a wand to make it easier to control... my Guildworks kites came with a wand, and I wouldn't try to fly 0 wind single line without one, now.
The Echo looks very much at home in the urban environment... great looking, interesting backdrop !
~Rob.

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 12:44 AM »

fun stuff jared, thanks.

a wand sounds like a good idea, but on the gliders i've flown so far i end up needing both hands free to pull line in, in a hand over hand manner. the air-yo and rev ufo have wands but are both flown on only 10ft or so of line and in both cases, it's a necessity as they're a different sort of flyers anyway.

Fdeli
RobB

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 04:46 AM »

The two GW kites that I have are both gliders. They have a winder on one end, and the line feeds through the center of the wand. You can pay out and take in a certain amount of line while flying, but not on the order of hand over hand. I've flown with & without the wand, and it seems easier with. I don't know... are wands considered training wheels for indoor SLKs ?  Cheesy

[attachment deleted by admin]

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 05:10 AM »

personally i do not think that a control rod would be a training wheel....
the rod GREATLY increases your "Arm reach" for directed pulling.
i have my right hand holding the rod and my left hand is constantly pulling in line and letting it out again....the line runs through the rod for less tangling (although you could easily use some fishing rods glides on the outside of it)....
i have issues with the rev and New Tech wands with their big chunky handles.....i have had a few of them break since there is not enough of the inside the handle to support the rod and the tension that can be put on it....then snap the rod breaks off at the handle.....

Rob: what ones do you have from guildworks???
my favorite indoor kite to fly on a control rod is a windfire designs Mini serenditipy....but the guildworks mini glider is a very close second!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
RobB

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 06:38 AM »

Hey there...
I've got the mini-glider and Tetrafoil S. The Tetrafoil is probably closest in size to the Skate, but both respond great on the wand. I fly the mini-glider in my living room when I need a quick kite flying-fix, and my kids love to watch it glide around the room. My 2 year old is pretty good at flying it on a short line, too. Smiley

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 06:49 AM »

nice stuff jared. I love the echo colors.

'one of my fav indoor kites

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 07:27 AM »

I've often wondered about the use of a wand, especially indoors where you do have a space limit and the amount of line out would be more static. In this video Daryl Yeh (I think) uses one but he does increase and decrease his line out using only one hand as far as I can tell. I've wondered if he has some sort of powered winder on the control stick? Or does he just use his thumb on the winder to play out or in some line? Anybody have the skinny on his setup? 

Play indoor kite on chair--"zen flyer"

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Jared

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 07:43 AM »

Thanks guys!  We had a lot of fun making this one Smiley

Mike, the Echo is actually purple & fluorescent orange, it just turns out looking more red when it's in the shade or being backlit.  When the light hits it head-on, it's more like safety vest orange.

Rob: Security came out to watch for a few minutes, but didn't come over and say anything.  I was sorely tempted to actually go inside and fly, since the convention center has a huge, open lobby, but I figured I'd save that for another time.

In watching the video while I was editing it, I realized that I wasn't letting quite enough line out for the Skate, but the wind was starting to pick up; I haven't had the chance to fly it indoors yet, but flying it outside when the wind is dead calm is just incredible.  It just hangs in the air, or gently glides along, looking like it's defying gravity.
melnsct
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 08:29 AM »

Go Dawn!!!!!!  She is doing great!!!

Melanie in Tennessee
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 06:13 PM »

Wonderful! Captures the essence of flying in an urban setting. What kite flying is all about. FUN. No matter where.
Thanks for sharing. Surely made my day, as I spent the weekend trimming trees......

Regards,
Chris

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document