GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 06:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Netbook Computers.  (Read 6652 times)
Charly
Trade Count: (+16)

« on: March 23, 2009, 07:31 PM »

Hello,
  I am thinking about getting a netbook.  Anyone here have one, and if so which model and what do you think of it after using it a while?

Thanks
Charly

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 08:10 PM »

I dont have one but am looking just like you. If your only gonna watch movies, snurf and mess with docs u cant go wrong. I think 300 400$ and u get a nice little portable gadget. I mean a portable DVD player cost 100-200$. laptop PC skies the limit. Netbooks are a smart move in a crappy economy like this one.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 09:15 PM »

Net Books don't have a DVD drive in them, I guess if your downloading your movies OK.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 09:26 PM »

or a TB external drive full o movies. but netflix rox too
melnsct
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 07:27 AM »

I LOVE my Asus eee.
I added a second gig of ram and it is a dream!!!!!!

Melanie in Tennessee
Jeff
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 08:14 AM »

Net Books don't have a DVD drive in them, I guess if your downloading your movies OK.

Or rip your DVDs and load 'em up.

and
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 10:04 PM »

I think I'm going to get a Netbook too. Asus Eee model # ?

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
WinterDaze

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 02:33 AM »

I'm using my 'Eee 900HA' to post this! terrific little unit, would definitely recommend one, maybe not as a primary unit but as a 'carry around' it's fantastic, and the number of positive unsolicited comments I'm getting from the street is quite surprising...

Light, powerful enough for most day to day apps, and easy to carry around. Not to mention the price point. 2 thumbs up!

Melnsct, Hmmmm updating the RAM, sounds interesting, I will have to look into that. Is it something you can do yourself? or a send away job?? I'm new to small computers, and now a bit of a convert.

WD

WinterDaze AoF
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 03:21 AM »

for what's available today, the ASUS Eee PC EPC1000HE is the way to go. as a matter of fact, i'm using one to type this.

nobody else can match this feature set in a netbook, regardless of price.

only the samsung nc10 comes close, but it's another hundred bucks and still can't best the asus.

i thought the dell mini 10 would really compete but looking at dell's website that seems not to be the case. the mini 10 only has slower more power hungry CPU's available, and a smaller battery, and for that you pay an extra hundred dollars when configured as closely to the 1000HE as possible.

for now, the ASUS Eee PC EPC1000HE is the best netbook available.

i've had mine for several weeks now and other than it collects fingerprints like chilese and pfouts collect kites, i don't have any complaints.

and the claim you can compute for 9 hours without a charge is no joke. the LED backlit screen uses less energy than previous designs and it's gorgeous as well.

one thing which continues to trip me out though is, the intel atom n280 1.66ghz cpu which is in this little bugger uses at full throttle, 2 watts of power!  Huh  that's half one a night light bulb uses.

speaking of chilese, he's had a few minutes hands on with this one so he may be able to share impressions as well, since few retailers even know what a netbook is much less have one for you to finger, every opinion counts.

in 6 months you might see a rash of netbooks using nvidia chipsets with enhanced video capabilities, but from what i can tell, it's not a big enough incentive not to buy, unless you're going to try and game on the thing.

this one will play fullscreen 720p video, or fullscreen high quality flash videos, most other netbooks have serious trouble with this task.

1gb ram is standard, and i plan on spending the $20 to grab a 2gb module at some point but haven't gotten around to it yet. i wanted to have an idea of how it performed without it. i'd say for what i've seen so far, it would be icing on the cake.

the biggest advantage i've seen so far to netbooks which is generally one which is difficult to grasp until you spend some time with one, and that is; it's a portable answer machine. the sum of human knowledge can now sit patiently waiting right next to you on the couch, or on the countertop ready to answer most questions which arise in a curious mind. no more having to try and remember what it was you wanted to search for when you finally sit at your computer when your computer can now sit with you, answering those questions on the fly.

Fdeli
melnsct

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 07:24 AM »

Fidelio said it all.
I have the same model and it is my primary computer now.
I did solve the fingerprint problem by purchasing a stick on skin from Amazon.....very cute.......with butterflys on it!!

Melanie in Tennessee
Dolphinboy

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 01:14 PM »

OK, I ordered a 1000HE. It should be here tomorrow, I hope I like the little guy Smiley

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
Charly
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 02:15 PM »

Thanks for all of the feedback and e-mails you have sent me.  1 final question.  I tend to have large hands and fingers.  What is your feelings on keyboard size?

Thanks Again
Charly

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 04:05 PM »

i'm 6'2" and heavy, i don't have any trouble with the keyboard, as evidenced by the post above.  Tongue

it's 'chiclet' style, meaning there's actually small gaps between each key so even with larger fingers the likelihood of hitting the key next door is reduced dramatically by the spacing. after a day of use i don't think one would even notice it.

however, had i any creativity i still wouldn't write a novel on it, lest i enjoyed writing in the park.

Fdeli
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 04:50 PM »

One of my co-workers just set up a new Lenovo netbook as dual boot Mac OS the Win XP. Very slick device. Mac OS actually runs better than the XP in many ways. Pretty quick.

These things are gonna work on 3G networks soon. Very cool.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Dolphinboy

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 09:59 PM »

I rcvd my 1000he today. It seems very sturdy and well made. The 1000he is big and heavy for a netbook, but I knew that when I ordered it. My original choice was the MSI Wind but every review I read complained about the touch pad being too sensitive and non adjustable so I ended up with this. We'll see how I like it, I'm taking it on it's first business trip Wednesday.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 10:12 PM by Dolphinboy » Logged

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography