GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 11:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Netbook Computers.  (Read 7266 times)
oyehut1955
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 11:49 PM »

my son and my boss both have the acer aspire..  they are great little machines..  quick and easy to use..  I use one at woirk everyday and if i needed a laptop for 350.00 i would be buying one..  my son travels with his and loves it

hi charly Wink

"it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string"

http://community.webshots.com/user/oyehut1955
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 01:21 AM »

one tip for you guys:

if using windows, have it set to hibernate when you close the top instead of entering standby. the resume is almost as fast as returning from standby, but while hibernating uses zero battery.

with hibernation enabled, forget about standby or turning the thing off, just close the lid and you've done both.

Fdeli
alleykat
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 01:34 PM »

I have been using an Acer Aspire for few weeks now and love it. My desktop decided to give up on me so this has become my main computer for now. I would like a usb dvd writer to have with it and then I could download movies straight into it.

Alleykat
Field of Strings
Darkside Newbie
st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 01:41 PM »

Hey Ally  you can  Build  your  own for less  then a 100.00  dollars   all ya  have  to do is  buy an IDE dvd burner   and  then the encloser  for  it   takes   about  20 mins  if that

Good air always Bobby
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 04:31 AM »

re: keyboard: You could attach a USB keyboard if you really felt the need. You could even get a wireless keyboard/mouse combination which is really nice. I have one for my desktop and it works great.

Bob D.
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 06:22 AM »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834147969
considering HP mini 2140 for myself and my parents. 2 gigs of RAM and all the trimmings.
But 499$ is a bit steep.
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 09:17 AM »

considering HP mini 2140 for myself and my parents. 2 gigs of RAM and all the trimmings.
But 499$ is a bit steep.

$ 499 is the high end of netbook pricing. Keep in mind this HP 2140 only has a 3 cell battery (4hr advertised battery life).  That's one of the main reasons I went with the Asus 1000HE.  The Asus is heavy but a lot of the extra weight is a 6 cell battery.

MSI has a new netbook coming out soon that is supposed to have 15 hr battery so it should be 10+ real world battery life.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Coughitup
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 11:36 AM »

Looks like I found this thread a little late.  Smiley
I have an MSi wind u100. 1.6 ghz (overclocked to 1.9) processor. 120 gb hard drive. 2 gb ram. I have it set up to dual boot xp and Leopard OSX. Great netbook if you are interested in a Mac netbook. I really enjoy using this netbook. The pricepoint on these are great around 240 refurb. I found all my mod info on Msiwind dot net. As far as the touchpad, I have had no problems, but I perfer to use a moust on all my notebooks. Nice size keyboard and good boot speed. Great looking 10 inch screen. Speakers are a little tinny but can be helped by leaving the bass boost on.
Bryan
bt
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 09:39 PM »

Would they be harder or easier to loose than a blackberry?
I`ve had a little 7" asus eee w/linux , a gig of ram and a whopping 4 plus an 8 g flash drive(s) for about a year and it`s been perfect for what it is...a limited but quite versatile unit...3 usb ports for any peripherals or drives....excellent for most web stuff...travels really well.  Anything requiring more my mac book is incredibly portable, and sometimes both come along.
My partner has a 10" acer I believe and is quite happy. The only real drawback she has found was a couple of times had to carry a dvd/cd burner....or take a dvd/cd drive to a person who only had a netbook...
The keys on this little asus of course are smaller, but for me I could have keys the size of drum trigger pads and still be hunt and peck.....
My partner had an asus as well and had no problem with the keys as she`s one of those folks who can do 60-70 wpm without looking....
All in all pretty cool units.
bt
c2thew
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 07:05 PM »

my parents picked up the samsung nc10 from costco 1gb version which i will most likely use for school.  Grin  It was a tough choice between the asus 1000he and the samsung nc10 as both netbooks were clearly in the category of the "best bang for the buck."   However what it eventually came down to was the weight, the right shift key, and costco's added warranty.  the small mouse pad will get some getting used to.

my brother then loaded linux, much to my disagreement, and now i have to use open office to type up documents.   Then again, my brother is the computer engineering graduate.  Embarrassed  here i go with linux.

Crandall
Weekend hobbyist
 (wish list) rev b series, white pyro delta the 20 foot model?

http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty5
http://tinyurl.com/KiteP6
http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty7
http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty9
KiteParty10 (coming soon)

My Kite Bag: http://tinyurl.com/795dn9g
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 09:13 AM »

Our local Costco was completely out of netbooks or I may have ended up with the Samsung also. The 1000he does have a new keyboard that addresses the earlier shift key complaints. The battery on the Asus is lasting a long time for me, so far.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change