GWTW Forum
July 28, 2014, 03:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: who has designed and put to market the most kites ?  (Read 4389 times)
david barnby
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: April 20, 2010, 06:50 AM »

trying to think of all the names of kites i know that kmac has been responsible for, include the ul, vented etc versions i run out of steam after realising it is a big number

can anyone name them all? what about benson, reed and others
rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 08:22 AM »

Your query asked for numbers then you have to add Dodd. You may find by numbers he's near the top. Kites for HQ, Eola, revolution, NTK, and now Sky Dogs. Just at NTK he had 17 individual designs . Jon Trenapole . Christoph Folken
Rob

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 08:52 AM »

Ken McNeill (from memory, no Google search or archive diving)
(without getting into the vented, standard, UL, SUL versions)

Aerie:
Mystic, K2, K3, Sabre, Diablo, AirFX, AirFX 32 panel

Blue Moon:
Mako, Mako SE, MSE, Mojo (4 different panel layouts), Mamba, Ichiban, 61/49, Killer Bee (co-designed), Muse, Exile (2 different panel layouts), Mantis, Reprise
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 08:54 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 09:17 AM »

Who, as in which individual designer or which company?

I assume we're talking dual line sport kites? Do foils count?

Allen, AKA kitehead
Gamelord

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 10:13 AM »

I would say Jon Trennopohl would be one of the top - for the last decade anyways.

Skyburner Line:
Nic Nac, L.L. Roc, Geo Pointer, TnT Comp, Freestylist, Delta Drive, ADX, Heat, I-nak, Pro Dancer, Widow Maker, Ocius, Profile SE, Wahoo...most available in both standard and UL versions.

And then you have his line designed and licensed to Premier:
Magnum, Addiction, Night Hawk, Widow, Trick & Track, Profile, Side Winder, Wolf, Jewel, Vision, Phase.

This just off the top of my head, I know there are others that I am forgetting.

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 11:14 AM »

John forgot the Mavrick from Blue Moon.

And if you go back to Ken's Arie days then you have to go back on Jon's to the begining of SkyBurner around 1987 or so. That'll add a dozen or more to his tally with the Pro Dancer, Pro Dancer SUL, the 3/4 Pro Dancer (I can never recall the name & I have one) the Firebird and more, I would have to research. Oh and add SR2 to Jon's Premier line-up.

My guess too is Jon Trennophol - SkyBurner would top the list since I have 14 of his myself and that is a small percentage. Likely to be followed by Dodd Gross. I think Ken McNiell - Blue Moon would top Tim Benson and most other custom builders.

I love history, it would be great if this list got completed.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 12:57 PM »

lets see...
trennepohl: the pointer is Ceewan's kite not Jon's....
tim benson: there are a bunch of single line kites he used to make....been searching for a bee from him for awhile!!!

i am going to guess a coin flip between Jon and Dodd....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 01:46 PM »

Christoph would be in the running. HQ, ITW...

Ramlal has designed a boatload.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 05:02 PM »

At Kite Party Jon mentioned that this is Skyburner's 20th year in business. Benson, Reed & McNiell are closing in on 20. Dodd's gotta be like 15 years active. Fokken & Tien likewise. All these people have put out a ton of designs. I think staying in the Game for decades is pretty impressive.

Just running down a mental list of Prism sport kites, I get more than 30 distinct kites, not counting UL & vented versions or sizes in the foil kites or name only changes or color/packaging only changes.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 05:07 PM »

I would say Jon Trennopohl would be one of the top - for the last decade anyways.

Skyburner Line:
Nic Nac, L.L. Roc, Geo Pointer, TnT Comp, Freestylist, Delta Drive, ADX, Heat, I-nak, Pro Dancer, Widow Maker, Ocius, Profile SE, Wahoo...most available in both standard and UL versions.

And then you have his line designed and licensed to Premier:
Magnum, Addiction, Night Hawk, Widow, Trick & Track, Profile, Side Winder, Wolf, Jewel, Vision, Phase.

This just off the top of my head, I know there are others that I am forgetting.

NicNac, iNac, Heat, Pro Dancer, Wahoo & TNT are all kites from the '90s, but that's not to say Jon hasn't been prolific in the last decade.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 07:36 PM »

How about Peter Lynn?  DGs site presently shows 20 seperate designs, and that doesn't include past kites or power/buggy kites. Been at it quite a while too.

rncembal

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 07:16 AM »

Here I was think only sport kites. Add Rob Brazington to the list he does both Ground Zero Sportkites and his incredible assortment of single lines. Joel Sholtz and Randy Tom working as individuals and with GFAK .
 Rob
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 07:47 AM by rncembal » Logged

david barnby
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 01:34 PM »

was thinking number of kites of any type the designer got to market regardless of the brand

does kmac have the longest list from all these posts?

surely there is a list somewhere?

Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 01:44 PM »

If you get SLKs into the mix there are a lot more long-time players and a lot more at the low end of things.

Allen, AKA kitehead
rncembal

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 02:16 PM »

You also need to define Market . Is selling 12 good enought how about one . Then everysold prototype and model change could count. I think there were 12 or so beautiful evil number ones. SOme changes in the kite times four colors.
Rob

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document