GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 02:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jeff Howard Flick: best keep secret?  (Read 6021 times)
lad
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 20, 2010, 03:52 PM »

I spotted some Howard fighters this January at a St. Augustine shop and picked up a Flick for (...swallow...) $40.  I haven't regretted it since. In fact, I've hardly put it down.

It a little ripstop/CF, Brazilian (& Buka hybrid?) thingie and very sturdy. The knock holding the tension line comes off of the top of the spine post for storage (or in a big crash?).

It flies just like a fighter, but not as zippy or spinny as a competition kite. So, it is really more a leisure kite (though I'm looking forward to trying a tussle or two with it this Summer!)  It's more relaxed pace and spins should give beginners a little more breathing room. Another confidence builder: It seems to miraculously upright itself near the end of a dive or no-wind down drift - so you can just tug it back up into the sky.

Two bigger differences from a conventional fighter.

1. It flies rail-straight; amazing low passes along the ground and dead-on, surreal diagonals across the whole window. I've never seen a single, dual or quad line kite do this so easily. Bukas are known for straight flights, but this seems even more effortless.

2. More amazing still, it will go up in like NO wind. You wouldn't believe this considering the quite small sail area, but it works. Prop it up, lead out about 30' of 5 or 10# Powerpro, pull, and up it goes. And I don't mean those slo-mo, walking backwards indoors or tug n' glide zero-wind dealies. I mean it zips straight up, down or across with a moderate, standing-still pull.  Then slowly floats and bobs, awaiting your next instructions (with the self-righting action mentioned above). Incredible.

I am fantasizing about a scaled-up version in Orcon and thinner CF or bamboo (Young's Bruhzilian and Longbottom's Pipa come to mind). But frankly, I don't think it would outdo the performance of this little guy. It would just be a little easier to see, orient and appreciate when it gets way up there!  (and it can get WAY up there!) Wink
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 04:55 PM by lad » Logged
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 07:02 PM »

Post a picture???

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
lad

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 07:15 PM »

It's the same color I got (I think there was also blue and maybe yellow).
I admit - it doesn't look like much!  Roll Eyes

edit by mikenchico; removed direct link, left mention of store

« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 08:14 PM by mikenchico » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 08:23 PM »

Jeez ... another kite I want  Wink

Thanks for the review, sounds like something I'd enjoy a lot.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
lad

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 08:50 PM »

Believe me, you can happily waste a lot of time with it!  Smiley
It's not as much for high-normal or stronger winds as it develops a lot of pull and I just don't know if it, or I, will hold up.
I haven't slid the bridle attachment loop much for varying wind conditions.  I think the default (and marked) position is good all-around.
lad

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 06:53 PM »

Flew the Flick at Ocean City this weekend. At one point, it was nearly the only thing up in in a dead lull  - and the few other kites I saw trying to stay up weren't going as far, moving as fast...or having as much fun!  Cheesy
pyroflyer

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 10:20 PM »

Hey lad
Just happened to run across this post. Glad ya like the kite. It is a fun one for sure. I'm twisting Jeff's arm to make us lots more fighters. They are hard to get but we try to keep em. It is always a nice day when someone comes in and they actually know what a fighter kite is.  Nice review on this one well done. 
Rob @ EK
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 11:11 AM »

Looks cute! I just bought 5 used fighters from Gumby, on a trip to FL (Treasure Island area), and they track straighter than any kites I've ever flown. Suh-weet!

I've only tried Buka's a few times, and never with any success.

Norm in Toronto
lad

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 07:14 PM »

Hey Rob! Thanks for the help.  Finding those little guys was like coming onto an oasis in the desert. NOW...when are YOU gonna publish the Flick review I submitted to you guys? Wink

I play with the Flick more than all the others combined. Tell Jeff I'd love to have a neon yellow, orange or contrasty 2-tone one next.  (Or maybe just a plain white one I can customize w/ Master Color). He better start cranking them out, because once other kiters finally try one, The Flick will hafta be renamed The Crack!  Cheesy

We have all-or-nothing winds where I live. But now I'm actually WAITING for 1-3 mph winds just so I can enjoy finessing The Flick all the way out until my line ends.

And to cover the ridiculous gusts we otherwise get, I just got a Snapshot 1.2. I pieced together a 150' tube tail for it. High speed sky writing and excitement for sure!

Now all those "normal, optimal" in-between winds seem boring... Wink

It's ridiculous!
It's fun!!!!!!!!!

PS: I saw Gumby down there in Jan. - I didn't know he had some for sale, otherwise I would have left w/ one too!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 07:38 PM by lad » Logged
lad

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 03:04 PM »

Just got word that a new batch 'o Flicks is due to appear soon, or...uh, "any day" now. Hope they have some bright colors this time around!
lad

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 02:45 PM »

I just had to re-visit this topic.  Wink

I had the most incredible experience putting the Flick up this evening in like zero, (and I mean ZERO) ground wind. I couldn't believe it. It was dusk and totally dead. But I eventually teased it up...all without any of that "walking backwards in a circle" or "whipping it back and forth over my head" SUL and Indoor stuff. No sir.  Wink

It went up maybe 200 yds, (the very end of my waxed, yo-yoed, 10lb PowerPro line) and it practically disappeared, but still with full, gentle turning, spinning and diving control.
Amazing!
If I had more line, I would have taken it up to some circling birds...(they looked lonely :-) ).

All that from a sail smaller than a sheet of letter paper!
I mean, you can spend $100s more on those large, fanciful. near-Zero wind kites that you have to keep walking or whipping around to keep up.
Or you can keep a Flick disassembled in your glove compartment with a little Powerpro spool. :-)

I only wish I got a second one when they were in stock!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:38 PM by lad » Logged
lad

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 05:22 AM »

I just learned from someone that Jeff might be persuaded to produce a few more of these if there's enough interest out there.
Maybe.
PM me for details, if interested.

(I'm definitely getting another one if that happens. The incredibly sturdy construction and attention to detail is worth the $ to me. These things are built to be nearly indestructible and have this odd, self-righting tendency after dives - so they make an excellent trainer to have on hand, too).
kiteguy
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 04:45 PM »

I thought THIS was a Jeff H. FLIK.
FLIK = Fun Little Indoor Kite
Not a single line kite, though.
No sewing involved.  .5 oz ripstop Poly with carbon frame.

BTW, this was over a decade ago.  (1998)

Click image for a larger view.

It flies outdoors, too.  Short lines.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 04:51 PM by kiteguy » Logged
lad

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 11:11 AM »

I guess Jeff is just fond of that name!  Wink

Here is a composite of a batch of new Howard fighters (My new Flick is like the yellow one)

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 11:16 AM by lad » Logged
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 08:14 PM »

I'll take a yellow Flick...
CV

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change