GWTW Forum
August 20, 2014, 07:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Line Questions  (Read 1753 times)
TaylorTN
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 20, 2010, 06:32 PM »

so I am new to the forum and have been flying for a year or so........

I started with a $15 kite from Alvin's Island in Orange Beach AL and soon upgraded to a Prism Quantum.  Since then I added a Snapshot 1.2 and 1.4 and just got my Desire UL.  They all came with 150# spectra sets at 85' or 100' except the 1.2 at 80# at 80'.

That all being said....

I would like a shorter set to play with the foils and the UL.  I am thinking of cutting one of the 100' lines in half  and keeping the other as a spare. 

I also wanted input on # of line sets you fly with.....

Do you keep sets and kites matched up or fly mulitple kites on the same set of lines?  My thinking is to fly the crap out of one set of 85' lines until they wear out and keep a reserve set, rather than carrying them all in my bags. 

Any input is appreciated.  TaylorTN....inland flyer waiting on the next front to move in

You have two choices....Get Happy or Go Home!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 07:22 PM »

Well I used to keep a lineset in each of my favorite induvidual kite bags after a couple of instances of grabbing a kite and getting to the park to find I didn't have lines  Embarrassed

Now I have a couple smaller "Grab n Go" bags so I keep my favorite kites in one I can grab easily, in fact it's usually standing behind a bedroom door. The HQ bag Steve sells here is perfect for that, small & light and holds 10 of your favorite kites easily. I just keep a small selection of lines in it, 90lb x 75', 150lb x 100', 90lb x 50', 50lb x 50' & a halo spool of Premier 150lb for the SLK or two and 61/49 that usually reside in the bag also. That serves nearly all my needs.

150lb is a little heavier then you'll need in most cases, but if you're comfortable with it in your conditions then sacraficing a set to make a couple short sets would be perfect for you. Go ahead and swap lines between kites, those 80x80's you have will work with the Quantum and the Desire too, although the Desire would rather have some 50lb x 75-120' depending on your preference.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
KeithG
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 10:50 PM »

I use 100 ft lines with 4 to 5 ft leaders so total length is around 105 ft. I use this for all my dual line kites, out doors of course. If I really want to expand the wind window I will use 125 ft lines. When you start doing long combinations of tricks you can run out or room real fast on less than 100 ft. I use 50 lb line for light wind days, 90 lb for normal winds, 150 lb if I think the 90's may be a bit light for the conditions and 200 lb when the wind is kicking. I like the Shanti speed lines but Lazer Pro gold is very good line also.

What part of TN are you in? If your within a couple of hours of Huntsville, AL you should come down and fly with us some time.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 10:53 PM by KeithG » Logged

Keith

Kites & Corvettes, both, a great way to fly.
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 01:54 AM »

I've got 50 and 90 pound lines, at 100 feet, that get 95 percent of the flight time. I've got a 200 pound line set, for the high wind days.

Jay
TaylorTN

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 05:48 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  Keith, I am in NW TN, about 4 hr from Huntsville.  I met Shawn at Orange Beach last summer and talking to him later in the year, he invited me down if I ever had time.  We may have to make it a long weekend trip some time......

I think I'll keep my 100' set whole and find a set of 50' to try out. 

I got a message from a member offering me a set that he seldom flies anymore. 

What a great group of folks.........

You have two choices....Get Happy or Go Home!
DaveH
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 07:47 AM »

Sounds like you've got it figured out Wink
just to add my two cents, I normally fly 90lb 50' and in strong winds 150lb 85'.  Both sets have 5 ft leaders attached.
I have this draw string line bag with 8 or 10 line sets in it.  I keep it in the side pocket of my A bag so I can grab whatever I need.
Carlton

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 07:53 AM »

For the Desire, I'd suggest a set of light lines.  Like this 50# X 50

http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=354

So the wife asks, "Why learn a half axle if you can already do a full axle?"
KeithG
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 10:11 AM »

Good deal Taylor, we fly just about year round, love to meet new kite flyers and are easy to find and for inland flying have one of the better fields around. E-mail me if you decided to make the trip down and I'll give you directions and any other info you may need.

Keith

Kites & Corvettes, both, a great way to fly.
Hadge

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 11:25 AM »

I usually carry 3 basic linesets ( well 4 actually).

20m of 50lb for winds below 5mph
25m of 90/100lb for 'normal' days - I use this 90% of the time. ( actually I carry 2 sets in case one breaks)
30m of 150lb for windy days - over 15/18mph depending on the kite.

I tend to prefer Climax professional lines ( though one the 100lb sets and the 150lb set are standard HQ dyneema at the moment - to be upgraded in due course).

I also have a few odd shorter lengths/strengths made up from old linesets which rarely get used.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 12:21 PM »

I actually carry around a lot of lines,

For low wind, 20-40 lbs in different lengths between 30 and 120 feet, a mix of PowerPro holow Ace and Berkely Whiplash.
for medium winds, 40-150lbs in different lengths between 90 and 120 feet., PowerPro Hollow Ace at the lower end, and Liros DC at the higher end of the breaking strength.
for higher winds 160-250lbs in 120feet, exclusivly Liros DC lines
For quad line traction, i have the standard 360/220lbs sets in 50 and 60 feet and a low wind set in 250/160lbs in 90 feet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document