GWTW Forum
April 16, 2014, 11:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite sportkite under 200 bucks?  (Read 6303 times)
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 05:23 AM »

+2   Smiley     for the Silver Foxes   Cheesy . Cheesy
Craig
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 05:38 AM »

Life's too short to fly cheap kites  Cool
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 06:26 AM »

Favorite sport kite under $200?

The Echo by Focus Kites.

I love mine; on 13' lines, I can fly it in front of my house or in my back yard just about every day after work.  It flies from 0mph up to 6 or 7mph (after that, it's moving too fast and the frame gets a little springy) and can be flown in small or indoor spaces.

I actually leave mine assembled in my living room so I can grab it and go fly at a moment's notice.
DaveH
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 06:31 AM »

That vid was really nice, Jared  Wink
looks like a great kite.
DaveH
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 06:32 AM »

Life is too cheap to fly short kites.  Cheesy
kitechick
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 04:00 PM »

Another vote for SF, especially considering my skill (or lack thereof). I actually started with a high end kite (Widow Maker) and sold it to someone else who was much happier with it. The SF is better for me.

Laura
reddobie
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 12:43 AM »

The Echo by Focus Kites.

I love mine; on 13' lines, I can fly it in front of my house or in my back yard just about every day after work.  It flies from 0mph up to 6 or 7mph (after that, it's moving too fast and the frame gets a little springy) and can be flown in small or indoor spaces.

I love my Echo by Focus, I can fly it at the Silver Bowl when no other kites are flying.  I need to get some really short lines. 

nosedive

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 07:23 AM »

I dont' have one, but for under $200, the standard Freestlylist is a big-time winner!

Also, ...depending on where JTs new Ocius comes in....that's possible too! Smiley

Jeff
Vents?! I don't need no stinkin' vents! Cheesy
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 11:14 AM »

+1 on the Skyburner Freestylist, top line components, APA's & Skyshark's, Skyburner quality, sails by Heads Up with their reputation for outstanding workmanship. It's a $250 kite at a $160 price, just a tad smaller with off the shelf colors only. Still enjoying mine after 4 years.

Also from Jon's stable there's the Nighthawk at $130, it had a loyal following although there's not much buzz today, it's still a capable kite of good quality. Then there's the Wolf at $99, a surprisingly precise flying smaller kite that is pretty tricky too, but mostly just fun to fly, give it a yank and it'll do something totally cool and usually finds it's way out of whatever mess you got it into. Huge grin factor at 5-6 mph and above.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
oldflyer
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 01:22 PM »

My vote would definitely be for the Silver Fox 2.3 Standard. It's a superb kite and I enjoy it almost as much as my top end kites.
DaveH
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 06:57 AM »

+1 on the Skyburner Freestylist, top line components, APA's & Skyshark's, Skyburner quality, sails by Heads Up with their reputation for outstanding workmanship. It's a $250 kite at a $160 price, just a tad smaller with off the shelf colors only. Still enjoying mine after 4 years.

Also from Jon's stable there's the Nighthawk at $130, it had a loyal following although there's not much buzz today, it's still a capable kite of good quality. Then there's the Wolf at $99, a surprisingly precise flying smaller kite that is pretty tricky too, but mostly just fun to fly, give it a yank and it'll do something totally cool and usually finds it's way out of whatever mess you got it into. Huge grin factor at 5-6 mph and above.

From the same line as the Wolf, don't forget Jon's design produced by Premiere, the Widow.  Tough enough to take a beating and flies wonderfully.  Mine's getting kind of ragged from constant abuse but for a long time it was first out of the bag. Smooth, forgiving and seriously trickable.  One of my all time favorites at any price.
Fast EDDY
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2010, 05:34 PM »

My Vote is for the H Q  Scorpion.

It is at 179.00 bucks. Comes with about 15 Gr weight. Has full sail tentioners in the keel. and it is a Trick monster in the right hands.

I have enjoyed flying mine and it will be at the next Baskle event with me.  Shocked

Fast Eddy
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2010, 08:08 PM »

+1  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
JayDee

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 12:34 AM »

New, under $200.... hmmmmm.  Premier Widow for sure.  You want more trick or precision, or something that's a little of everything?  (The Widow fits into that category).

Slap on a Widow Maker turbo bridle, and the Widow gets an immediate two-class upgrade in the precision department.  Still keeps it way under 200 bucks and makes it one sweet kite as long as the wind does not drop too low.

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
JayDee

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 12:51 AM »

[...] don't forget Jon's design produced by Premiere, the Widow.  Tough enough to take a beating and flies wonderfully.  Mine's getting kind of ragged from constant abuse but for a long time it was first out of the bag. Smooth, forgiving and seriously trickable.  One of my all time favorites at any price.

+1 on that statement.

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography