GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 03:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The best way to stabilize a lifter kite ?  (Read 2668 times)
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« on: April 22, 2010, 11:43 AM »

Hi all,

I wish to stabilize some of my soft lifters (PL Pilot, Flow form,...).

What is the best way for that : drogues, Legged Drogue, Piranha Drogue, Bubble Tubes, Spikey Balls, Streamer Flags, tube, tails, aso ?...

And rotating or not ?

I'm looking for the best way to stabilize a lifter kite flying sometimes from the left to the right...  Sad

I don't think that tails works very well for that ?

Many thanks in advance for your help.  Wink
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 12:01 PM by Tataouine » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 12:10 PM »

You might shy away from a spinner since you'll likely be using a V line from the rear corners of the kite. If the bearing gets bound up (and they do) that will twist that V line up and pull the back of the kite together. A couple of bearings reduces the chances of that happening though if you choose to go that way. I like the looks of the Pennants & Giant Streamers myself, Gone With The Wind can supply all Gomberg Products too, they just aren't all listed. I can't say how good they are a stabilizing since they have as much lift as drag but they sure shimmer in the light and the ripple movement is mesmerizing.

picture linked from Gomberg Kites
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 12:26 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 05:07 PM »

I would think the drogues would have the most drag, but this is just a guess and not based on any real world use...

In other words, "I don't know"... Sad

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 06:56 PM »

What is the best way for that : drogues, Legged Drogue, Piranha Drogue, Bubble Tubes, Spikey Balls, Streamer Flags, tube, tails, aso ?...
I'd say proper tuning of the bridles or determine any other problems.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
spence602
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 07:37 PM »

I agree with tcope.
You shouldn't need to stabilize a PL Pilot.  A pilot is meant to be stable.

A FF should only need a little drag behind it - small tubes or streamers.  Longer for more visual appeal, but they don't have to be long - they just help keep it at an AoA that keeps it inflated fully.

Spence
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 08:27 PM »

I'd first try to determine why they're unstable. Instability can be caused by many different things and a fix to correct one problem can make things worse if the instability is caused by some other reason.

My suggestions:
First, read through this great article on Tuning Parafoils and Flowforms by Dave Gomberg. Then read his repost of Peter Lynn's article on Flying the Perfect Pilot Parafoil. Both articles contain great information about tuning and stability.

Between those two gentlemen, you can't get much better advice.

Bob
sennenshredder
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 09:06 AM »

I use one of these:

Pigs really can fly, and the inertia of mass stops the kite jumping around the wind window as the line has a deep V which is self compensating for gusts and lulls. Try it you might oink it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 09:09 AM by sennenshredder » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document