GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 01:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beach "Territory" or Right of Way?  (Read 3715 times)
kwalispecial
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 22, 2010, 04:30 PM »

This is partially a question and partially a rant, but how do you fellow kite fliers deal with people encroaching when you are flying? 

I went to the beach today and started out flying a single line kite to get a feel for the wind.  I was in an empty part of the beach (although it is a small beach) with a guy playing with his dog just south of me.  He stayed right there in the same place while I flew that kite. 

I decided to get out my Snapshot foil.  I took down the other kite went back to my car and got the Snapshot, and laid out the lines.  As soon as I got it in the air he decided to start playing fetch across me.  First the dog ran right under my hands and brushed up against me, and he didn't even call the dog back or anything.  The wind died down almost immediately, and as soon as I tried to start winding the lines back onto the winder, he chucks the ball down the beach across my lines and the dog runs right through my lines, ripping the handles out of my hands and almost taking a finger with it!  Not even a sorry!  He didn't even call the dog back!  He just walked past me without so much as a word as I tried again to wind the lines up.  And as soon as I put the darned thing away he returned to the end of the beach where he started...
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 04:41 PM »

take a deep breath

have fun kurt
kwalispecial

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 04:48 PM »

Haha, I know.  I just can't believe he wouldn't even say sorry after the dog ran through the lines...
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 04:51 PM »

Sad thing is, he actually could have hurt the dog by being so stupid...
It's dumb people that create the problems, not the animals, really... Roll Eyes

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 04:57 PM »

put up banners first to mark the edge of territory...then have a few careful words with the guy explaining that the pup could get hurt...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
RobB

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 05:15 PM »

You wouldn't see this guy playing fetch across a volleyball game, getting in between people playing Frisbee, or walking across a baseball field while people are playing... I guess kite flying is such a joke to the general public, that it's OK for them to act as if we aren't even there.
I thought this phenomena only took place where the majority of the public are a*holes, like where I live in New York, but the more I read about these incidents, I am surprised to hear of it happening all over the world. Unbelievable !

xuzme720

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 05:16 PM »

That's the trouble with a*holes, they are NOT an endangered species!

Asfink tersez wot....

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 07:35 PM »

The challenge is being diplomatic, the impulse is to give them a slap up alongside the head. A deep breath is about the best advise and find a safer area to fly in. We don't often recognize it ourselves but we are participating in a potentially dangerous sport, flying arrow shafts at over 50 mph on small strong lines under tension that can seriously cut somebody. Realistically the obligation to fly safely is in our hands, if politely pointing out the danger the kite poses to somebody who doesn't see it and convinces them to move what else can you do? Most of us use public area's to fly in and I don't know of any municipality that will reserve a park for a kite fliers exclusive use, we just aren't that big.

Once we get in the Olympics that might change  Cheesy

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Ace

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 08:10 PM »

Forget about it, you'll never get through to socially inept morons like that!

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
xuzme720

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 08:52 PM »

While on the beach, I had a group of 19- or 20-somethings come up and start setting up their towels and such literally 5' from where I am standing, handles in hand. I politely inform them that I am flying my kites and was in the process of teaching someone else to fly, and for their own safety they might consider some more space between them and me, as she doesn't have very good control and they were in the danger zone. Their answer: "Then I guess you'll be talking to my lawyer". So I put my handles down and picked up my DSLR and started blatantly taking pictures of their girlfriends. When he asked ME to stop, I informed him that it was a free beach and if he had a problem with it I'd guess he'd be talking to MY lawyer. They moved and no punches were thrown. I guess I could have just moved but I had been there for hours and the group I was with had quite a bit of gear and to be honest, at that point, it was mostly principal. And I definitely have a problem with rudeness in any form...

Asfink tersez wot....

tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 09:01 PM »

It happens everywhere,  Cry   Sad  there is nothing much that you can do except to have a word with the guy about the  animal getting hurt,  Embarrassed .  This has happened to me and sometimes it works and if they have any reasoning, will move away to another area .
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 09:35 PM »

You risk a full ban on kite flying, in any public space, anytime you get in a beef with someone. If their property is damaged or, worse yet, they are injured it escalates.

Whenever there is a possibility of anything like this happening: move.

No trash talking, no waiting for them to get a clue: just move. And move before there is even a hint of a problem. You can see the signs. You know you can.

It is better for all kite fliers who may want to use that space down the road.

Do not make waves. You do not have the clout to make it stick.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 12:33 AM by JimB » Logged
ko

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 10:19 PM »

+1 thanx jim

have fun kurt
coogee

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 10:23 PM »

This is a problem for all kiters and there are no easy solutions to this problem!
I have flown at my local beach for a long time, nearly 10 years, and imagine my shock when I turned up to find brand new signs banning two line kites as well as a whole lot of other stuff. I thought it was a mistake and that was my mistake. The local council was adamant that it was way to dangerous for the local beaches. I spent a lot of time writing to politicions and going to really boring town council meetings. The end result of this time consuming and frustrating process is that council agreed to repeal the ban at certain beaches and allow flying in the off season at my local beach. The real issue is not the inherent danger but insurance. Some how the tail now wags the dog as insurance dictates what you should be doing. This dovetails nicely with the current propensity for litigation.
As I have a good relationship with the local lifesavers and ALWAYS fly responsibly I have ignored the ban at my local beach. After all who would not want to walk to the end of the street to go flying.
Confrontational attitudes will not help. If other people behave badly you don't have to behave badly in response. Be friendly and fly in a manner that does not cause problems. Pack up and go if you have to because in the long run you will always find a place and time to fly.

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 11:29 PM »

why do so many dog owners feel it's their right to ignore leash laws? it's the law!

if no one else is present, ok, it's different.
if it's private property, ok, it's different.
if it's open land, ok, it's different.

but i'm talking about city/county parks which are populated every hour they're open, with children present, with posted markings to leash dogs. why is this law still routinely ignored, and those ignoring it, indignant about it?

Fdeli
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change