GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 04:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beach "Territory" or Right of Way?  (Read 3697 times)
Texanpilot
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2010, 09:45 AM »

You need to go to the far west end of the island, nearly to San Luis Pass.  The beach is wider there (at least it was 4 years ago before I moved to California and two big hurricanes hit Galveston), and a lot less crowded.  No real facilities, though.

I so wish I was back home.   Embarrassed

Steady winds, y'all.
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2010, 10:26 AM »

I'll try that end next time I go.
I was hitting RA because during the "winter" there was usually no one at all out there and very wide beach (they have room for parking and camping right on the beach) That weekend was the first time I had been out there where there was that kind of crowd. Usually I am out of there when people start invading my space but interest in watching the kites seemed high with most of the people there and with the occasional inevitable exception, people were very understanding and respectful of my window.

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2010, 02:13 PM »

These days if I get "invaded" I normally pack up and move. It's not worth the arguments and potential damage to kites and people.

If dogs are around I dontt take chances any more...I have only had 2 incidents with dogs...neither was great for either party..in 1 case the dog grabbed and damaged my DS, in another I smashed into and rode over a full grown Labrador at 50 kph in my kite buggy being pulled along by a 6.5m race kite and tumbled it along for many metres...The owner was distraught, I felt bad, but luckily the dog was somehow ok.The only thing that could have happend out of that incident was a ban on buggying. Luckily that didnt happen ...but I dont take that risk anymore....

Steve
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2010, 02:19 PM »

glad to hear i'm not alone with regards to 'some' other kiters. thought maybe i was just being too sensitive, but it would appear many of you have stories.

Fdeli
kwalispecial
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2010, 04:06 PM »

I'm lucky to live right near the ocean, but finding a place to fly is quite difficult.  I have a SLK that basically just requires standing room, but the stunt kites are a challenge.  The beaches that are within a convenient distance are small and narrow and fill up quickly.  I like dogs and if I had one I would be out there with the other dog owners.  And on these beaches dogs are aloud to run free in the off season, or morning or evening during the high season.  My original post was mostly a case of "I was here first".  I definitely wasn't confrontational.

We are definitely in a very space-intensive sport.  You figure a soccer field supports 22 people running around, but each of us requires a circle of about 2/3 of that size all to ourselves.  I just think in cases like the one I described where it is still early in the year and the beach was pretty empty, one would think people would give each other more space.  If it was 4th of July and I was trying to claim 200' to myself to fly a kite, I would completely understand the encroachment.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change