GWTW Forum
November 27, 2014, 04:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting a Gem to go deeper into a turtle  (Read 4140 times)
dhayden
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: April 22, 2010, 10:11 PM »

Been playing around with an older Gemini.  I have tried Wardley's xactive bridle with some nice results.  Any suggestions on getting this kite to go deeper into a turtle?  Having trouble trying to lazy susan , especailly when doing JL's.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 12:44 AM »

There are people who weight them.

Approximately Eight Grams on each spine or alternatively, one weight at the base of the center standoff down near the sail.

The Benson Twins have some info on this:

http://www.bensontwins.nl/index.htm

In the end, the Gem takes just that extra bit of slack to stay in the back flip. The standard Gem is a demon at JL's when you get the hang of it.
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 12:58 AM »

While the weight helps, its also a matter of technique. Bensons generally need to be *put* into a turtle, they don't settle there like some kites. The DS is the same. Be more aggressive popping it onto its back to get it to go deeper and hit your lazy susan immediately, don't wait for it to settle.

In fact IMO BoTs, Gems and DS's are happier if you keep them constantly and quickly flowing from one element of move to the next; they don't like to settle before anything really.   

Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 04:46 AM »

You can also pull the trickline in closer to the trailing edge which allows the kite to fall deeper into the turtle.  As I remember the standard measurement is 15cm and you shorten the lines running from the standoffs to 8cm.  You'll need a longer piece of bridle line for the new trickline or you can cut the original in half and put a short length of elastic cord in the middle like the Outerspace.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
benjai

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 05:33 AM »

Good advice on the mods above. I run 7 grams (I think) in the tail of each spine (velcro weights like the DS) and the pulled in trickline. All helps, but the key is that the kite flies best and looks best when flowing from one move to the next. So in the JL, you pop for the half lazy while the nose is still going back. It looks good when done nicely, but you have to think ahead...

This is far from the greatest Gem flying ever, but there are a bunch of flapjacks and a JL at the end that show the absence of a pause or settling into the backflip before the spin input. Hopefully it helps...

Caribbean Gem Twenty Ten
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 02:38 PM »

That's truly inspirational! Nice editing too!

Bob D.
Jimmer
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 04:16 PM »

That video made me want to run out and BUY a Gem ASAP!  Cheesy
Nice flying!
SMG
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 08:24 PM »

Lol, I just did buy a Gem because of this vid. I just wish I could fly mine like that.

Cheers,
Sean
GWTWNewb
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 05:19 PM »

A Gemini with a deep turtle is very, very, wrong.  Huh
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 05:51 PM »

I was watching 'Stoked in the Park', and I can't see the trickline on ABW's kite. The October & November ones, I think. Does everyone fly the Gem with a trickline ? It could be that the videos just aren't good enough quality to see the trickline ?
~Rob.

zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 06:14 PM »

Does everyone fly the Gem with a trickline ? It could be that the videos just aren't good enough quality to see the trickline ?

Please tell me that you are familiar with this ?

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 08:44 PM »

Only Lars and other advance fliers can do the turtle in the Gem. The rest just cannot do it.  Cry Cry Cry  And then Gem for sell in the Swap Meet section.   Cheesy

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 10:08 PM »

You guys are all too used to all these modern kites that lock into a back flip to the exclusion of all else.

The Gem does just fine in a back flip. It just doesn't live there.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 10:08 PM »

I fly an original Gem with no mods.
I got no complaints.  JL's are just fine.  You need to change your technique, not the kite.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 10:09 PM »

hmm ... separated at birth?

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum