GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 10:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting a Gem to go deeper into a turtle  (Read 3968 times)
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 10:25 PM »

And further more.. may I remind you that the Pogo Stick was invented on the Gem with a trick line no less, you know: throw the kite into a deep back flip and let the kite fall nose down until it hits the ground and bounces back up still in the back flip? Yeah that's right.

Finish off with an Acid Drop and go have a beer.

jeeze.

hey bro.. Wink
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:27 PM by JimB » Logged
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 11:43 PM »

I agree with Steve's comments bove, there's nothing wrong with the Gem.

While I fly my Fearless vented and SUL most of this time, I have been flying my 2010 Gem a lot recently - The gem tricks with the best of them (even if the original design is pretty old) -  and actually Axels, Double Axels and does wraps easier and with more style than the Fearless IMHO..

(Mind you the Fearless is easier to trick, stays on its back longer and is more forgiving of poorer technique.).

The Gem JL's easily, but as Steve says - more slack is required and I find I need to adjust my technique (and move my feet more) moving from the Fearless to the Gem - not an issue with the kites, just my flying style (I find I am getting away with poorer technique on the Fearless but on the Gem I need to clean up the technque a bit - not a bad thing actually).

cheers

steve
tpatter

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 12:15 AM »

I think of it and the DS as "flow" kites.  Faster pace, keep it moving, timing critical, not much in the way of waiting around for the kite.  Fly one for a few days and then move to a kite like the Nirvana and it feels like bullet time in the Matrix - slow mo and stable.

I'm not saying ones better than the other, just different. 

The turtle is a good example of how they differ - the Gem JLs just fine, its just harder to do (imo, due to tighter timing requirements) than it is on the Nirvana.

6 kite tom
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 01:28 AM »

Does everyone fly the Gem with a trickline ? It could be that the videos just aren't good enough quality to see the trickline ?

Please tell me that you are familiar with this ?

Mike.

No, I hadn't seen that one, thanks for the link. Now I have to get my sister to translate it for me, but I can see a trickline in the pictures. Was the 'Stoked in the Park' series ever released in a higher quality ? It's tough to watch full screen with the versions that I have.

cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 04:04 AM »

Yes, the Gem is a 'rare gem' in the kite world. In the hands of Lars or other 'advance' fliers, its true ability shine through.

But when my kite pal got one, not one but two(STD & UL), he was like 8 months old in tricking kite age.  He spent like a month or so to do a simple turtle and just can't do it.  He added weights on the spines, middle, nose, US, LS or even at the wing tips. A little help.  No turtle = no nothing.  No JL and every turtle based tricks.  Yes, he can do endless backspin, at least 50+ rotations.  Cheesy  At the same time I was flying the Fearless STD and learnt tricks at light speed.  His progess stalled and got confused and then switched to other kites and stopped flying the Gem totally.  Remember this was from a 'beginner' with baby's IQ kite tricking point of view and this was his experience.

After that we conluded that some modifications on the bridle construction, weight installed somewhere and some 'super' technique will get it to turtle.

The forgiving thing in the Fearless is a good thing and can benefit for fliers from every levels.  This is a kite that you never outgrown.  

A big kite go slower. A bigger German kite goes even slower.  They are just different flying styles + physic.  That's all.   Smiley 

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 06:57 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 04:39 AM »

Roll Eyes

Come back Frazer.
I so understand where you were coming from Huh

zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 05:09 AM »

After that we conluded that some modifications on the bridle construction, weight installed somewhere and some 'super' technique will get it to turtle.

There is a special circle of Hell for some people......

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 07:03 AM »

YOU MODDED A FEARLESS.?!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 07:10 AM »

Maybe I'm a masochist but as much as I like the Fearless and it's forgiving nature I'm making a concerted effort to improve my technique so I'm sticking with the Nirvana for now. I don't have the Gem but I DO have the Minigem and it's a faster kite that definitely requires really good technique.

I have to say though it's nice to learn on a kite that's forgiving so that you can at least figure out the inputs to make a trick work. The downside is that you might not necessarily learn good technique.

I did my first ever flap jack and slot machine last week with the Nirvana as well as practicing flair landings. The wind was about 10 mph and it wasn't just a slight breeze so I was pretty stoked that I was able to do what I did.

Bottom line: It's about fun and not frustration. Fly the kite you have fun with.

I never heard of the pogo stick... Jim's a font of knowledge! It's great having him in my backyard - so to speak.

Bob D.
tpatter

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 08:55 AM »

In my opinion, good technique is all about critique and practice, it's somewhat less critical what kite you fly (to a reasonable degree) - but some will get your started much faster. 

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 08:57 AM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 09:15 AM »

The 'pogo stick' trick sounds like fun thing to do. I will try it in the next session. Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 06:54 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
RobB

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 09:22 AM »

Is the 'pogo stick' the last trick in 'Stoked in the Park' October '04 ?

JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 09:46 AM »

yep.

To an acid drop.
ko

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 04:55 PM »

Roll Eyes
I so understand where you were coming from Huh

have fun kurt
RobB

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2010, 05:07 PM »

yep.

To an acid drop.
That is probably my favorite 'SITP' month, and that 'pogo stick' last trick always blows my mind ! If I spend my life getting half that good at flying, I'll die happy...

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change