GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 06:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skate  (Read 6134 times)
mello67
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: March 23, 2009, 09:19 PM »

Just wondering about the "Skate" by focus kites. Does anyone have any feedback on this one? It looks interesting from the the vid on there website. I am looking for a no wind fun kite to fly when my UL's can't.
Thanks Smiley

Have you tugged your kite lately??
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 10:25 PM »

Thanks for posting that!

I saw one about 3 weeks ago in the air, and it is quite a beautiful kite.
I'm thinking about one for myself also. I've seen some nice videos of it indoors too. So now let's hear from people who actually own one...

thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 11:53 PM »

Clickable

I love mine!!!!

The Skate is not just a kite- it also acts as a glider as well!!!!
There is a pocket on the back of the nose of it that accepts quarters....toss a couple in there and the kite nose is weighed down and glides extremely well!!!!

no keel & a slight bow across the spreader makes the kite spin on its center very easily.....but with the extended wingtips and spine it tracks great when moving forward....

a good size- about 4' long it does not act as a small kite - nor look like one.....very good presence in the air....

my experience is with it only indoors....i have no thoughts of ever taking it outdoors...no need to have other kites that are a bit more suited to UL outdoor flying....a bit more robust options...(i.e. a blue moon kites 61/49)

I would love to play with a Manta...the skate's 11' cousin!!!

Overall Hunter and Paul made one heck of a great kite with this one!!!you must try it to belive how much fun it is!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 06:34 AM »

I agree with Rob on this.  Indoors is definitely the place for the Skate.  Outdoors maybe if all you have are heat thermals rising from the field or steady 2-3 mph winds and you want something to stay up and it is the only SLK you have that will fly in that wind.  I have flown it in higher winds and it did OK, but there are kites more suited for that.

Ditto on the Blue Moon 61/49 outdoors.  I love it with just a slight breeze to help take line out.

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
kitelover
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 07:03 AM »

There were 2 skates & 2 mantas flying at KP7 in 5-10 mph that looked nailed to the sky. I wasn't paying alot of attention to wind speed but there were alot of SLK's up there. I'm sure the 3D stuff would have been out of the question but they seemed to handle some wind. Maybe Hunter, Brian, Jim or George will chime in and add some accuracy. I agree with everyone feeling safer with the 61/49 in more wind. Both nice kites, the skate would definately shine indoors.
rxburner
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 08:45 AM »

I Love my Skate. It is an indoor glider, though outdoors in very light wind, you could be the only single line that can fly.

Rx  Grin
ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 10:54 AM »

There were 2 skates & 2 mantas flying at KP7 in 5-10 mph that looked nailed to the sky. I wasn't paying alot of attention to wind speed but there were alot of SLK's up there. I'm sure the 3D stuff would have been out of the question but they seemed to handle some wind. Maybe Hunter, Brian, Jim or George will chime in and add some accuracy. I agree with everyone feeling safer with the 61/49 in more wind. Both nice kites, the skate would definately shine indoors.

I have flown my Skate in winds pushing 15 mph.  It isn't that they won't fly in the higher winds, but that there are better kites for those conditions IMHO.  Once the winds get up to 8 mph, I want to put up something bigger and more eye catching.

I haven't seen the Manta, so I don't know the size and construction.

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
moegeo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 11:07 AM »

As Dan said, I was surprised to see both the Manta and the Skate flying in winds that high. They looked like they were designed to do just that.
I've flown mine outdoors in light winds over grass and indoors, both a pleasure.
The wieght is the key for the glide. I leave the quarters in all the time.
I tried to fly with no wieght but every time I would glide the kite away and try a turn I would wrap the wing tip. The nose seems to lift without the wieght.( I'm sure it was operator error)
If you get a chance to fly one you'll be placing an order that same day.

BTW the 61/49 is a hoot, and doesn't mind my bumpy valley winds. I even got Mark Lummas on this kite at KP, and he enjoyed it.
Hope this helps, George.

Say Good Night Dick
Coughitup
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 11:10 AM »

Here are some pics of the Manta and Skate from KP7.  I really like the size of the manta and would love to see one in person. These are from Chilese, I do not know His new forum name.
http://sports.webshots.com/album/570352300KmReRh?start=0

Bryan
mello67

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 07:22 PM »

Great info guys!! What line are you flying on?? Length, weight, and type?
Looks like I  am going to order another kite! I wonder what my wife will say this time?? Wink Can you order these directly from Focus kites?

moegeo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 10:18 PM »

With all this good press, I think Steve should soon have another sponsor.
Yes you can order them direct. Paul and Hunter are very helpful. (Please delete if I have over stepped)
I have been using linen line, but if you are heading outdoors you might be looking for something a little heavier and stronger.
Geo.

Say Good Night Dick
tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 12:52 AM »

I love my Skate too! I fly kites every day, wind or no wind. When there is no wind I fly my Skate using a light fishing pole with spinning reel and the monofiliment line it came with to steer the kite around with little effort, it glides great with 2 quarters in it. If the wind comes up a little then it's just a slk and it's time to get my light wind duel and quad kites out. With the skate you're never disappointed when you get out to the field and find there's no wind. Putting a slight bow and adding some nose weight and bridle adjustment to a large fighter kite is fun too:)
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 03:05 AM »

Great info guys!! What line are you flying on?? Length, weight, and type?
Looks like I  am going to order another kite! I wonder what my wife will say this time?? Wink Can you order these directly from Focus kites?

you can only get them direct.....grumble grumble grumble.......a little google search will find them....

line:
for indoor flying i use 150# ~50' of it....i like the thicker line because it is easier to handle....and i get less line cute on my fingers....the line might add a little downward pull from the weight...might...not certain....

the other thing i use indoors is a control rod....for lighter line i run it through a spare carbon rod.....i hold the rod in my right hand and the line in my left....the fun thing is that you can
a)change the line length very quickly this way
b)by using the rod as an extended "arm" you can twitch the kite into better positioning for glides et al....gives a bigger reach which translates to more control....

what to tell the wife? good luck...my exwife never knew i got one....easier that way...

good winds!
r

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mello67

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 05:39 PM »

Ordered a midnight blue one yesterday. I will try and post some pics when it arrives. Thanks for the input on the line, I will make some up out of 50#'s and a 150#'s and will play with the length. The control rod is a good idea, I will have to try it.

Thanks
 Grin

Ninjak2k
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 07:18 AM »

Is that 150# Spectra or regular Dacron/Polyester/Nylon flying line?

Cheers,
Dan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document