GWTW Forum
September 18, 2014, 12:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skate  (Read 6283 times)
glider
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 08:32 AM »

The Skate is a great indoor performance kite.  I had mine out street flying last night.  At KP7, Skates were the only things in the air for a while.  That's me with a Skate to the left.  The guys at Focus are great to work with.

kitelover

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 08:50 AM »

Is that 150# Spectra or regular Dacron/Polyester/Nylon flying line?

For a indoor/UL SLK, line type isn't a big concern, stretch isn't a problem. I doubt if line cuts/burns are either. 50# can be pretty snaggy, I'd probably go with 100#.
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 11:34 AM »

I bought one, and I've flown it indoors and out. Instead of Googling, you should click on the Focus Kite Design banner ad on this web-site. As I'm writing in the Quick Reply box, it's just to the right! (I don't know if any money changes hands when we do that, but it can't hurt!)

I fly mine on my standard indoor-SLK line. Maybe 50-ish# Spectra, around 20' total. I could go heavier.

I've tried it with 0, 1, and 2 quarters. It's a nice "clean" and simple weight system, BTW. I usually leave it with 1. But although the slow "flyovers" and glides are amazingly graceful and easy, I've been a smidge disappointed that I can't seem to get more UL or indoor fighter-kite performance out of it (even with 0 quarters).

E.g., with my other, more traditional, indoor fighter (I've got one big one I built from Pauly Berard's plan a LONG time ago), I can do a pretty respectable "360", then even reverse and do it the other way (then maybe throw up!). Haven't managed that with the Skate, at least so far. And I really only see the one "trick" on all the videos, too.

Come to think of it, I think that's about all I've seen the 61/49 do, too.

The Horvath kites seem to do more varied manoevers on their videos. I've gathered the materials to build an Urban Ninja -- all except the Round Tuit, if you know what I mean! (I'll build it as soon as I get a Round Tuit.)

Norm in Toronto
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 11:54 AM »

Now that I looked at some videos of the 61/49, they seem happy to do that flyaway loop thing, that I haven't seen (or made) the Skate do. the Horvath kites also do lots of those on their videos.

All that said, the Skate is one of the simpler, lowest-priced, and slowest glider-kites around, so it's lovely and graceful in the sky and not much workout to keep in the air.

Oh, yeah: And don't forget that they give everybody a US$0.50 discount, in the nose weight pocket! Grin

Norm in Toronto
ben dantonio

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 08:30 AM »

I have to say I also own one and I really enjoy mine and thats alot coming from a 4 four
line guy such as myself.... Ben Cool Cool Cool
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document