GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 05:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking For Kite Flying Friends  (Read 2689 times)
alanarkk
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 28, 2010, 04:42 PM »

I'm just getting back into stunt kite flying, and was wondering if anyone in my area of the country would like to get together and do some flying?
I live in Western North Carolina about twenty miles south of Asheville. 

Perhaps if we get enough folks (and it doesn't take many) we can meet perhaps twice a month for group/club kiting.

If anyone has any interest in this, please contact me via email at, alank1@bellsouth.net.

Thanks,

alanarkk
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 06:05 AM »

I think if you head east, you'll find some people to fly with. What I've found is that two line kite flying is something that you do alone most of the time. I've been looking for years, but can't find anyone who is interested enough to fly on a regular basis. You would think on an island with more than 500 miles of shoreline, and a smooth breeze almost every day, that is would be easy to find others that were into flying. Especially when you consider a population of ~3 million people. But then, look at the number of members on this forum. This is the WORLD we're talking about here... this is probably THE most popular kite forum on the web, and how many registered users ? 1251 ?  Cheesy

People don't know what they're missing, I'm going to fly until I am physically unable, and then I'll tie a single line kite to my wheelchair. Good luck finding someone to fly with, and a good place to fly.
~Rob.

alanarkk

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 06:46 AM »

You would think so.

Anyway, I put (it has yet to run) an "announcement" in one of our local newspapers looking for anybody who might have an interest in dual line kiting, so we'll see what happens.  In any event, there is a fellow about two hours (Blue Moon Kites), who may be having (for lack of a better name) a "kite In" this Saturday in the Hickory North Carolian area, and I'm hooping to go.

Alan
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 07:19 AM »

I've only talked with Ken over the phone, but he seems like a great guy. He built 3 kites for me, they are some of my favorites. I consider you a lucky person if you get to meet up with him & fly...

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 07:23 AM »

Same here. Flying with ken would be awesome.

Luck luck on your search.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
alanarkk

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 08:30 AM »

If the "kite thing" happens, and I have the time, I'll write a full report.

Alan
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 08:40 AM »

Call it a "fun fly", because if you can get there, it WILL be!

I hope you can go, and just know that there are a bunch of us here that will be very jealous of you!

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
alanarkk

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 04:24 PM »

Well...if it's on (the fun-fly) I'm going. 

Alan
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 06:54 PM »

See Alan ... I told you you'd turn up flying buddies here.

I've known Ken for over ten years and have had the pleasure of having him here stay with us here in Chico twice. 

Trust me ... the finest person in the kite business.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
photomom
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 06:12 AM »

I know we're not exactly in the neighborhood but here on the Crystal Coast (Morehead City, Beaufort, Atlantic Beach) the Carolina Kite Club flies every Sunday morning in good weather.  We also have a festival in late October on the beach.  If you get a chance to vacation our way, we're here.  Or you may want to make it a vacation to come to the festival.

Also there is a kite club in Charlotte, the WACKOS.  They have a web site which may list kite flys in the area.

Good Luck.

kjm

alanarkk

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 10:30 AM »

Hi KJM,

Yes I'm aware of the WACKOS, and they are about two hours from me.  I'm hoping I can get a few folks in my area together for our own "group" of fliers.

And yes Blue Moon Kites is going to have a fun-fly Saturday May 8th., and I'm told there will be a number of folks from the Charlotte group there.  And  :)I am planning to go.

Alan
the*real*stoney
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 12:13 AM »

I'm sure that Ken will clue you in to the Beech Mountain Kite Festival coming up in September. It's an event you don't want to miss and You will be in the company of many kite fliers for the entire weekend and there is a street dance on Saturday as a bonus.
Stoney
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document