GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 08:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello with a question  (Read 3762 times)
grouch
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 28, 2010, 08:22 PM »

Hey all, I am new here so I figured I'd start off with some background and a question. I started flying cheap stunt kites a long time ago (Skynasour yellow jobber). I really enjoyed it but it wouldn't fly well unless there was a lot of wind and it was a bit jerky so after it broke, it went in the attic somewhere. Move forward about 20 years, I recently decided to pick up a foil just for fun. I bought a Snapshot 1.9 and I love it! Super fun when windy and a real handful to fly. Well now I want something else to fly when the wind is too light for the foil. I also want to get a kite that can do a good assortment of trick when I learn how to do them. Would a Prism 4D fit the bill or should I be looking at something larger? Thanks!
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 09:13 PM »

I will go with a high quality second hand kite if you are in a budget. A brand new one if you are not. One good high quality kite that can trick easily always better than a bagful of cheap kites that don't know how to do tricks. Regarding the size, the kite should be at least 7+ft. in width. A high quality kite will last forever if service properly.   Smiley Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:15 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 09:49 PM »

I'd look at Blue Moon kites, they are excellent flyers and Ken's standards will fly in very little wind (in what many others ULs are rated).  GWTW also sells the Silver Fox which is well liked by many here on the forum.

IMO the 4D is too small for what you are looking for.

6 kite tom
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 10:30 PM »

My advice would be to buy a standard wind kite with a fairly low wind range.

Something like that would be able to fly in 2-3MPH which would be significantly lower than what you are used to  flying in.

A Used Blue Moon from almost any era would be ideal IMO.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 09:07 PM by JimB » Logged
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 04:21 AM »

Post something for a Blue Moon in the Wanted section and see what kind of responses you get. You never know...

(My second hand Exile standard flies in the lightest of wind. I think I paid around $200 for it and it's money worth spent.)

Bob D.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 04:44 AM »

If you're not looking to spend alot, I saw a Prism Zephyr for $100 in the swap meet, it might still be available. I agree with the suggestions of Blue Moon, they are true high end kites, and fly as well as everyone says. Durable, too. I don't think I'll ever sell my Exile UL.
Mini kites aren't my thing, either, if I had only one kite, it would certainly be a full size kite.
~Rob.

tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 05:57 AM »

I think that the Zephyr  is a good buy at $100 .You can buy new or wait for a good second hand but may have to pay more.
DaveH
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 06:14 AM »

Most standard kites wth a fairly low wind range would fly in significantly less wind than your foil.   For learning tricks and out of this world build quality, the Blue Moon Exile is the kite to get.  If money is a bit tight the Silver Fox kites are a very good choice.  Best at slightly more wind than these two but still less than your foil, is the Premiere Widow.  Excellent for learning tricks and strong enough to stand lots of abuse.  A great design and one of the real values available today.  Fly it without the included (but not installed) weight and it does well in lighter winds and still tricks like a champ.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 06:33 AM by DaveH » Logged
Boogie

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 07:06 AM »

I'm just getting into it all myself.  I purchased a Prism Quantum a few months ago and quickly grew frustrated with it because it needs around 5-8mph or higher winds to really get to moving, so I decided to purchase a 4D a week or so ago.  After flying it yesterday I was pleased with my decision, but if I had it all to do over again, I would have went with a Silver Fox or Blue Moon Exile.  Granted, I'm very impressed with Prism's quality and overall presentation, especially for the price.  But I've heard and read enough opinions on here and at a local kite fest, that I'm confident the quality and dynamics of a higher end kite like the Blue Moon's would be worth it.  As for what's next, I'm going to keep the Quantum for higher wind days to just rip around the sky...and the 4D really is an excellent low/no wind kite that works good for outdoors or indoor flying.  My next purchase though, will be a higher end kite, perhaps a Widow Maker or Exile.  Good luck with your quest, there are lots of exciting options out there for you, but the forums here will help you narrow them down.   Cool

Related to moral relativism, it states that ethics become subjective only when approaching the speed of light. That is, it's ok to be self-serving, steal and murder as long as you're going really, really fast. (Note: This is why rap sounds better on the highway at 90mph)
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 07:59 AM »

When the Ocius Standard comes out, I'd get that.
It should be affordable.

BMK's are very nice too, and Exile would be nice, or a Mamba.

Silverfox's are nice, but I usually go toward's more high end stuff like The BMK and Skyburner's listed above.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
grouch

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 06:39 AM »

So is there something wrong with the 4D or is it just that there are better kites? Are Prism kites lacking in quality in someway?
John Welden

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 07:48 AM »

So is there something wrong with the 4D or is it just that there are better kites? Are Prism kites lacking in quality in someway?

No, nothing wrong with Prism's, they have a great reputation.  The problem with threads like these is that everyone ends up recommending their favorite brand.  Unless you go very low budget, it's pretty hard to buy a kite you're not going to have fun with.  Which kite is better is as subjective as who makes the best hamburger. 

Most of us here have large kite collections. If you become a kite nut, this next purchase of yours will be one of many so I wouldn't worry about it too much.  It's a lot of fun to have all sorts of different kites by different manufactures. 
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 08:05 AM »

[Most of us here have large kite collections. If you become a kite nut, this next purchase of yours will be one of many so I wouldn't worry about it too much.  It's a lot of fun to have all sorts of different kites by different manufactures. 

Agreed.........you really can't go wrong with any of the forementioned kites............but somewhere along the way, if you become 'hooked', like John says, you'll have a favorite one or two out of your twenty or more kites Wink Cool

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
John Welden

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 08:15 AM »

You mean a favorite one or two out of twenty that are in your "A" bag?  Cheesy
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 08:41 AM »

Exactly!! Grin Grin Cool

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change